Rumour Isaac Cumming - UFA (and then there was one)

Remove this Banner Ad

If that were the case here, then he would stay with GWS. Port can't offer anymore than the Giants in this area.

The Giants can't offer him residing in Adelaide though. There's a reason he's snot entertaining offers from other interstate clubs or doing medicals with them. Step 1, non negotiable, is relocating to Adelaide. Step 2 is selecting the team that he's going to play for.

I'm assuming there is some lifestyle or family reason for wanting to be in Adelaide over Sydney.

If that's already been settled on, the choice in lifestyle the two clubs can offer is pretty large at the moment. And there's not a lot of levers we can pull to make us the better choice
One club loses finals by massive margins frequently and hasn't made a GF since 2007, at least the Crows can sell we got further than that in 2017. I just don't think this will be a relevant factor anyway, otherwise it made no sense for Dawson to choose us over Port in 2021.

Agree, felt like he was leaning towards Crows but needed to keep the door open to Port until he’s signed on the dotted line.
It's in his financial interests to play both sides until the end, even if he's already made up his mind. Might get an extra year or an extra $50K a season out of us by throwing back a "Well Port offered..."

Didn't Motlop do similar to get Port to up their offer a bit even though he never had any intent to sign with us?

The Giants can't offer him residing in Adelaide though. There's a reason he's snot entertaining offers from other interstate clubs or doing medicals with them. Step 1, non negotiable, is relocating to Adelaide. Step 2 is selecting the team that he's going to play for.
He was actually very happy to stay with the Giants though (that's been widely reported), it's just their intial contract offer effectively forced him to test the market.

It's in his financial interests to play both sides until the end, even if he's already made up his mind. Might get an extra year or an extra $50K a season out of us by throwing back a "Well Port offered..."

Didn't Motlop do similar to get Port to up their offer a bit even though he never had any intent to sign with us?
Yep, I reckon it may have been Rowie or someone like that who got conned into think Motlop actually might get to the Crows, but he was always just playing us to get more money from Port.

The perception can turn very quickly depending on who's in charge and how things are performing on field.

I can remember when no-one wanted to go to Brisbane and then within a couple of seasons they're suddenly a destination club that people want to go to.

I think the coach and the direction of the club plays a huge role with attracting player interest.
'coach and direction of club plays a huge role' - are they positives for us when trying to attract players LOL

Money is the positive we have to offer, and lots of it. The figures I've read and heard being offered to Cumming will have him on a higher salary than Captain Dawson and Rankine, clearly our two best players! But it's what we can tempt trade ins with $$$$$$$$

If we miss Cumming, this place will light up like a bad day in Hell

Last edited:
One club loses finals by massive margins frequently and hasn't made a GF since 2007, at least the Crows can sell we got further than that in 2017. I just don't think this will be a relevant factor anyway, otherwise it made no sense for Dawson to choose us over Port in 2021.

It's almost never one thing though. With Jordan, it could have been that the contract gap was too great to consider Port. Or that Port weren't prepared or able to offer up what Sydney would be asking at the trade table. Numerous factors influence a player's decision, focussing only on what's in our favour seems a little simplistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you think Motlop never had any intent to sign with us? Surely hearing the player say, 'no, team x or y were never really a chance, I was always choosing the team who's polo top I'm currently wearing' is meaningless. Nobody really believes that do they?

What makes you think Motlop never had any intent to sign with us? Surely hearing the player say, 'no, team x or y were never really a chance, I was always choosing the team who's polo top I'm currently wearing' is meaningless. Nobody really believes that do they?
I think you can have a fair leaning one way or the other, but anyone with half a brain knows youve gotta maximise your value in a 2 horse race by at least entertaining both sides.

I mean you can believe that if you want, but I don't think there's many people that would genuinely believe the environment at Adelaide is better than at Port at the moment.

Back in 2021 we probably could have sold players on an upward trajectory and hope, but that's not true any more

Players will always have a clear preference, no matter what they may publicly say, but it doesn't mean if the worst case happens they won't accept another offer. Luko didn't want to join us, he always wanted Port if he was coming back to SA, but wouldn't shut the door completely on joining us because he needs a backup option. If he did though, that means a lot of shit has fallen through for him though and other teams have bailed for whatever reason.

Generally though if a player has a preferred location, especially if they're a FA, they'll get to their first choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Isaac Cumming - UFA (and then there was one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back