It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_8290.png

How is the sense of humour on this lad? what a ripper

Abductor injuries can really inhibit a player and take a while to get over, good to see that he is finally getting over it and showing us what we know he is capable of.
We're lucky that he did actually manage to get over it. Those injuries can be tricky and you just look at some of our other players (Bedendo, Garcia etc.) to know it can quickly ruin a season.

I see no reason why Cody can't be a 45-50 goal a year player for his career. He only needs to generate 3 or so shots a game given his deadly accuracy to have a big impact on the scoreboard.

I see no reason why Cody can't be a 45-50 goal a year player for his career. He only needs to generate 3 or so shots a game given his deadly accuracy to have a big impact on the scoreboard.
He plays the forward role so much like Toby Green, with the potential to improve more. Like Toby he is a small who plays more like a quick medium (Toby is only 4cm Taller), who can also impact a stoppage.

While I am not equipped as such and thus don't have first-hand experience - wouldn't things bounce uncomfortably?
Quite liberating in everyday life where high leaping and awkward landings aren't a consideration.

In the short shorts environs of an AFL forward it seems quite ..... avant-garde

Cody maybe a bigger star than we realise sitting 3rd on this list and a fair bit younger than the top 2 when he played his first game. There is bazball and cumball in cricket now we have codyball in footy.

HOW DOES CODY WEIGHTMAN STACK UP THROUGH 50 GAMES?

PLAYERGOALS4+ GOAL GAMES3+ GOAL GAMES
STEPHEN MILNE (STK)100916
LUKE BREUST (HAW)90413
CODY WEIGHTMAN (WB)84611
JEFF FARMER (MEL)81513
STEVE JOHNSON (GEE)7558
TOM PAPLEY (SYD)6717
JAMIE ELLIOTT (COLL)67411
IZAK RANKINE (GC/ADE)6138
CHARLIE CAMERON (ADE)6024
CYRIL RIOLI (HAW)5225
EDDIE BETTS (CARL)5109
BAYLEY FRITSCH (MEL)4325
Weightman's numbers are quite remarkable. The most impressive part? He debuted at 19 years and 184 days, far younger than Stephen Milne (21 years, 44 days) and Luke Breust (20 years, 185 days), meaning he's likely further away from reaching his true ceiling.

Cody maybe a bigger star than we realise sitting 3rd on this list and a fair bit younger than the top 2 when he played his first game. There is bazball and cumball in cricket now we have codyball in footy.

LUKE BREUST (HAW)90413
CODY WEIGHTMAN (WB)84611
JEFF FARMER (MEL)81513
STEVE JOHNSON (GEE)7558
TOM PAPLEY (SYD)6717
CYRIL RIOLI (HAW)5225
EDDIE BETTS (CARL)5109
BAYLEY FRITSCH (MEL)4325
Weightman's numbers are quite remarkable. The most impressive part? He debuted at 19 years and 184 days, far younger than Stephen Milne (21 years, 44 days) and Luke Breust (20 years, 185 days), meaning he's likely further away from reaching his true ceiling.
Sorry I've got to ask, although I'm not sure I really want to know ... what's cumball?

Sorry I've got to ask, although I'm not sure I really want to know ... what's cumball?

What Is Cumball Trending On Social Media After Australia's Win Over England?​

Meanwhile, as soon as Australia defeated England by 2 wickets, 'Cumball' started trending on Twitter. Cumball is nothing but a word derived from the name of Australia skipper Pat Cummins, similar to England's Bazball, which comes from the name of England coach Brendon McCullum.

What Is Cumball Trending On Social Media After Australia's Win Over England?​

Meanwhile, as soon as Australia defeated England by 2 wickets, 'Cumball' started trending on Twitter. Cumball is nothing but a word derived from the name of Australia skipper Pat Cummins, similar to England's Bazball, which comes from the name of England coach Brendon McCullum.
Well that's a relief!

LUKE BREUST (HAW)90413
CODY WEIGHTMAN (WB)84611
JEFF FARMER (MEL)81513
STEVE JOHNSON (GEE)7558
TOM PAPLEY (SYD)6717
CYRIL RIOLI (HAW)5225
EDDIE BETTS (CARL)5109
BAYLEY FRITSCH (MEL)4325

6 goals more than Tory Dickson after 50.

22 goals ahead of Kozzie Pickett, although he hit 50 games a year younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta love watching him play.

Him Marra Darcy Naughton and Arty should play a lot of footy together over the next 5-8 years

LUKE BREUST (HAW)90413
CODY WEIGHTMAN (WB)84611
JEFF FARMER (MEL)81513
STEVE JOHNSON (GEE)7558
TOM PAPLEY (SYD)6717
CYRIL RIOLI (HAW)5225
EDDIE BETTS (CARL)5109
BAYLEY FRITSCH (MEL)4325
I feel like dogs supporters have been sleeping on Cody, he is a serious talent - like best small forward in the league/50 goal + a year quality

Players averaging 2+ goals and 2.5+ tackles in 2023:

Toby Greene
Charlie Cameron
Izak Rankine
Cody Weightman

On a side note, Aaron Naughton and Luke Breust are the only players that would be added to this list if the bar was lowered to 2.0 tackles. per game. Pretty incredible by Naughts.

His ability to kick big bags is quite special and obviously not a fluke at this point considering how often he does it - I don’t think his inconsistency is that much worse than other small forwards, it’s a tough position to be consistent as we know. But if he even fixes up those quiet games just a little bit he’s going to kick a lot of bloody goals. What a gem.

The pressure and tackling was great again on Sunday too, this needs to be the baseline for him and the goals will continue to come in a big way on the back of it

His ability to kick big bags is quite special and obviously not a fluke at this point considering how often he does it - I don’t think his inconsistency is that much worse than other small forwards, it’s a tough position to be consistent as we know. But if he even fixes up those quiet games just a little bit he’s going to kick a lot of bloody goals. What a gem.

The pressure and tackling was great again on Sunday too, this needs to be the baseline for him and the goals will continue to come in a big way on the back of it
Importantly he's not our only option. This week West Coast will worry about him and put some work into him.

So while Cody only gets 1 or 2, expect JUH, Darcy, Naughton or Bont to come up with 3 or more.

Importantly he's not our only option. This week West Coast will worry about him and put some work into him.

So while Cody only gets 1 or 2, expect JUH, Darcy, Naughton or Bont to come up with 3 or more.
Expecting Darcy, Marra, English, naughton and Lobb to kick 15 between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back