Society/Culture Its happening. Smoking is going to become illegal in modern societies

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out they are expensive now. If I see someone smoking now I actually think they must be rich. No wonder there is all this criminal violence surrounding the chop chop market.
Quitting nicotine is hard, usually takes a few tries but is truly amazing when done.
Everyone I know who smokes, which isn't many these days, but they all buy them from dodgy servos who imported illegally. Half price of there abouts, I assume many smokers do this as how could they afford it otherwise?!

Anyone under 25ish who smokes hasn't evolved. Genuinely couldn't have an IQ above 40. No advertising, no one speaks positively about it, expensive, everything we know about cancers etc, no reason to even start to get hooked on them like previous generations. Just complete morons

Anyone under 25ish who smokes hasn't evolved. Genuinely couldn't have an IQ above 40. No advertising, no one speaks positively about it, expensive, everything we know about cancers etc, no reason to even start to get hooked on them like previous generations. Just complete morons
Imo more like 50ish..

Far out they are expensive now. If I see someone smoking now I actually think they must be rich. No wonder there is all this criminal violence surrounding the chop chop market.
Quitting nicotine is hard, usually takes a few tries but is truly amazing when done.
I went to a funeral where we threw ciggies into the dearly departed's grave, wouldn't be doing that with the prices these days.

The wife still smokes but if find it handy leverage when i want to buy something stupid sometimes

Ive quit twice in the last 2 years and started up again twice.. both times during stressful moments within 5-6 month of quitting. My wife has done the same and we are each others worst enemy… one starts again and brings tobacco into the house and eventually we both end up smoking again.

It feels great when not smoking… and I was very proud of myself to actually quit as it’s something I Never thought I’d be able to do. but to allow yourself a smoke when things are bugging you is incredibly seductive.

I try for a 3rd time soon. Somewhere in September or October. End of the busy season.

When I moved to France in 2012 , 50 grams of tobacco(not the lawn clippings they sell as tobacco in Australia) cost 7.20 euros… so about 11aud.

Now it’s 24. So 38ish Aussie Monopoly money. I live within an hour of Italy and over there it’s around 8 euros for 50 grams.. 12-13 monopoly aud.

Ive quit twice in the last 2 years and started up again twice.. both times during stressful moments within 5-6 month of quitting. My wife has done the same and we are each others worst enemy… one starts again and brings tobacco into the house and eventually we both end up smoking again.

It feels great when not smoking… and I was very proud of myself to actually quit as it’s something I Never thought I’d be able to do. but to allow yourself a smoke when things are bugging you is incredibly seductive.

I try for a 3rd time soon. Somewhere in September or October. End of the busy season.

When I moved to France in 2012 , 50 grams of tobacco(not the lawn clippings they sell as tobacco in Australia) cost 7.20 euros… so about 11aud.

Now it’s 24. So 38ish Aussie Monopoly money. I live within an hour of Italy and over there it’s around 8 euros for 50 grams.. 12-13 monopoly aud.
To be fair I'd still be smoking if it was that much, bloody bargain.

From coles; Wini blues 50g pouch now $155, was less than $20 in 2008ish when I started
https://www.coles.com.au/product/wi...-XfdI-gzVWEEf7KXV8ZjezINUEbRM8r_aHxD5j3JXDap7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think they've hiked up the tax again, seems to happen 2-3 times a year. I used to enjoy a dart or two and got a handful of mates that like a smoke but legit all of them buy chop chop or packets through the black market for $15. I don't know anyone who buys retail. Small personal sample size but the government at some stage has to ask if they are backing the right horse here. Putting prices up isn't the deterrent they think it is but maybe deterrent isn't their goal, just short sighted tax grab without thinking about the wider consequences of giving rise to said black markets and all the shenanigans that go with an unregulated market.

I would have thought if they wanted people to stop (which would hit in tax income) would they look at subsiding nicotine gum, patches, those inhaler thingy's etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Its happening. Smoking is going to become illegal in modern societies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back