List Mgmt. It's official. Clarkson says: "The Hawks are rebuilding."

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching tonight's Syd v Nth games, I can't help but think how much different we'd look with Mills and Heeney in the side.

Getting possibly the two best mids of the last two drafts would inject so much more enthusiasm into our quest for the 4peat.

Cant help but think that an annual contender has been given such an amazing bonus.

I agree with a previous poster that any future success has to be built in bringing in the equivalent of first round picks via first round picks (suprise suprise), trades and nab an exeptional talent after pick 30ish.

The cats have done it with Henderson, Dangerfield, Cockatoo, Caddy and developed Duncan and Motlop.

Swans have nabbed Heeney, Mitchell & Mills, poached Buddy and have developed Hannebury and Parker.

We need to trade in an O'Meara/Crouch type, have some luck with a Langford/Langford/Langford FS and develop a Lovell, Burton, Sicily into top tier players.

None of our current kids scream superstar like Burgoyne, Hodge, Franklin, Mitchell did initially. So IMO if any turn into Lewis/Birchall level AA id be stoked.

I think all of Howe, Hartung, TOB, Sicily, Lovell and Brand have a big future at the club but need more.

Well you can bank Jaeger O'Meara who was easily the best pickup in those drafts. When he recovers he will be unbelievable for us.
Add some smokey too in this trade period. Hawks are active.
I think we're looking pretty good, no need to go crazy like Geelong who will either be lauded as heroes or have cost themselves big time for a while.

Are we (ie. The club) underhanded enough to ask JOM not to play too well in his return this year to keep his trade price down?

I feel like we have to be given Geelong got Dangerfield on the cheap, Sydney got Heeney and Mills for peanuts and GWS are a team of gifted 1st round picks.

We had Buddy knicked from us under free agency with a ludicrous contract he'll never fulfill and we took it up the arse with an end of first round pick as compensation. And now North are being handed the rights to an academy in Tassie after we've spent the best part of a decade planting the seeds.

I love that this club has always done things the hard way but at least things in the past were close to something equitable. It feels like almost every rule or policy change in the last few years has been made in attempt to stifle our success.

Are we (ie. The club) underhanded enough to ask JOM not to play too well in his return this year to keep his trade price down?

I feel like we have to be given Geelong got Dangerfield on the cheap, Sydney got Heeney and Mills for peanuts and GWS are a team of gifted 1st round picks.

We had Buddy knicked from us under free agency with a ludicrous contract he'll never fulfill and we took it up the arse with an end of first round pick as compensation. And now North are being handed the rights to an academy in Tassie after we've spent the best part of a decade planting the seeds.

I love that this club has always done things the hard way but at least things in the past were close to something equitable. It feels like almost every rule or policy change in the last few years has been made in attempt to stifle our success.
I think you'll find Jaeger won't play many games this year.

Nothing to do with the Hawks but this kid wants to be a Hawk and won't be rushing into a footy field for Gold Coast until he is well and truly ready ;)

This is what i find frustrating. We now have a couple of former Hawthorn employees in AFL administration and things still don't look promising.

Yes, the are out to get us. So much jelly from the afl.

i said it at the time- and I'll say it again now- we should have made Sydney trade with us for buddy- we were only ever getting pick 19 as compensation and taking Sydney's first pick ( at the minimum) wouldve weakened them somewhat for the years to come- - we might've even got Mumford out of them... Anyway- doesn't matter now. Look at how Adelaide played the danger field situation- that was as close to a win-win situation as u could expect/. Sydney however had a huuuuge win against us.

Just watching tonight's Syd v Nth games, I can't help but think how much different we'd look with Mills and Heeney in the side.

Getting possibly the two best mids of the last two drafts would inject so much more enthusiasm into our quest for the 4peat.

Cant help but think that an annual contender has been given such an amazing bonus.

I agree with a previous poster that any future success has to be built in bringing in the equivalent of first round picks via first round picks (suprise suprise), trades and nab an exeptional talent after pick 30ish.

The cats have done it with Henderson, Dangerfield, Cockatoo, Caddy and developed Duncan and Motlop.

Swans have nabbed Heeney, Mitchell & Mills, poached Buddy and have developed Hannebury and Parker.

We need to trade in an O'Meara/Crouch type, have some luck with a Langford/Langford/Langford FS and develop a Lovell, Burton, Sicily into top tier players.

None of our current kids scream superstar like Burgoyne, Hodge, Franklin, Mitchell did initially. So IMO if any turn into Lewis/Birchall level AA id be stoked.

I think all of Howe, Hartung, TOB, Sicily, Lovell and Brand have a big future at the club but need more.

While I generally agree, I'm not sure what you mean by Lovell 'needs more' at this stage in development.

He had 19 disposals as an 18 year old with no Hodge, Mitchell or Roughead supporting him through the midfield against a Richmond side that had (and has) decent ball winning midfielders.

He went missing in one quarter of football but otherwise attacked hard and has some key passages where he set up goals. 5 clearances was our second highest total apart from Sheils. Some senior players struggle to have that output, let alone a player that still hasn't had time to properly learn the structures or completely learn the mannerisms of his teammates.

While I generally agree, I'm not sure what you mean by Lovell 'needs more' at this stage in development.

He had 19 disposals as an 18 year old with no Hodge, Mitchell or Roughead supporting him through the midfield against a Richmond side that had (and has) decent ball winning midfielders.

He went missing in one quarter of football but otherwise attacked hard and has some key passages where he set up goals. 5 clearances was our second highest total apart from Sheils. Some senior players struggle to have that output, let alone a player that still hasn't had time to properly learn the structures or completely learn the mannerisms of his teammates.
If you consider how he played compared to D Rioli who was picked 7 picks earlier, I'd take Lovey every day of the week.

If you consider how he played compared to D Rioli who was picked 7 picks earlier, I'd take Lovey every day of the week.

I think it's a bit early to tell and they are different players.

Very happy with Chopper's progress though. Didn't realise he was part Aboriginal though.

I think it's a bit early to tell and they are different players.

Very happy with Chopper's progress though. Didn't realise he was part Aboriginal though.

Nope, it's settled- young promising ATSI player- I'm starting a "Chopper is better than Rioli" thread.

Sydneys academy kids give thema massive boost. It really shits me seeing how good heeney and mills are and they were given rights to them - complete bs. And whats this about norths academy in tassie? How about we set up an academy in SE Melbourne and take all those kids? Or in Adelaide or Perth, how can some teams be given this massive leg up with academy's, but others ignored.

Have the academys sure, but have them funded by the AFL so the kids all go to the draft. The AFL need to stop giving draft advantages and then pretending its all fair ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed a word unfortunately. I meant to say that despite how promising some kids are we need more of them.

Not convinced we have the depth of talent to get us to our next premiership just yet on our list.

Sicily, TOB, Burton, Brand all seem solid enough but realistically a Premiership side needs elite AFL players. Match winners if you will.

We need them to be Buddy, Roughead, Lake 2.0. Even though these blokes are generational players we need at least to get close.

Elite KPP hard to find. Solid KPP and Mids a dime a dozen in comparison. Elite mids just as hard to find IMO.

Would love them to be on the list already but I feel the majority of our next superstars are yet to be brought in.

Well you can bank Jaeger O'Meara who was easily the best pickup in those drafts. When he recovers he will be unbelievable for us.
Add some smokey too in this trade period. Hawks are active.
I think we're looking pretty good, no need to go crazy like Geelong who will either be lauded as heroes or have cost themselves big time for a while.
JOM im cautiously optimistic with. I respect that it sounds as though you have some inside knowledge.

I let the whole Danger/Bennell/Carlisle hype suck me in last off season so ill wait to be pleasantly surprised.

You also mentioned a smokey?

Heard Wright on the Road to Draft podcast say that they have little cap space to play with. Is the 2nd statement more wishful thinking or solid intel?

This is the problem here. All of these guys burst onto the scene when they started playing at the senior level. Hell even Lewis and Birchall where very good contributors right from the get go. None of our younger brigade shown anything close to that level, which is very concerning.

If we are relying on Langford to be our next tier of A-Grade mid, we are in serious trouble. He is almost 24 years old, and is very lucky to be in the side. He is in due to necessity, as we have no one else capable of that role.

Is that true? Defies logic ** corruption ** if so.
AFL wants us out because we will never move there, North on the other hand....

I think you'll find Jaeger won't play many games this year.

Nothing to do with the Hawks but this kid wants to be a Hawk and won't be rushing into a footy field for Gold Coast until he is well and truly ready ;)

Is there a reason you're so confident? Assuming the body is ok I'd love him at the Hawks. The quality he produced from the word go was amazing.

This is the problem here. All of these guys burst onto the scene when they started playing at the senior level. Hell even Lewis and Birchall where very good contributors right from the get go. None of our younger brigade shown anything close to that level, which is very concerning.

If we are relying on Langford to be our next tier of A-Grade mid, we are in serious trouble. He is almost 24 years old, and is very lucky to be in the side. He is in due to necessity, as we have no one else capable of that role.
That was part of my point. No kid except for maybe Anderson and Sicily and possibly Hill have come in a shown elite glimpses from the get go.

But you could probably mount a case for them not having to because we've been fortunate enough to have been so strong.

In a sense its probably easier too on one hand as there's no pressure on them. But harder as well because they only get a few games here or there or arent forced to excell like their counterparts were.

Either way I think we need more Elite talent however we can get it.

Its a long shot but I would love us to draft the next Parker/Hannebury/Sloane/Neale this year if we havent already!

Bah, Judd saw ball,got ball, banged ball/turned it over by foot all the time.

So you'd have to say this rebuild is going reasonably well so far.

Sicily, TOB and Stewart have looked really promising over the past 3 weeks. The former 2 probably best 22 right now (Sicily for sure) and Stewart probably to make his claim for a regular spot by next year if he continues on his rapid improvement tragectory.

Howe is very classy and possibly could still one day become one of our best but perhaps will have a more slow and steady rate of improvement compared to others. Should be worth the wait.

I like what I've seen of Lovell so far and hopefully we see him get another chance this year at some point. Probably look to make his claim alongside Stewart next year. Perhaps fighting for the same spot in the side in the short term until Mitchell/Lewis retire.

Hardwick is one who looked super promising early but haven't heard his name mentioned so much lately. Has he dropped off after a fast start at BHH or is he just learning in a role that doesn't lend itself to notable games/stats?

And finally Burton. By all accounts it looks like he will make a successful recovery from his horrible knee injury and if he reaches his potential will be an absolute steal for us. I'm probably dreaming but I still can't shake the feeling that he will manage to make his AFL debut this year and be a factor come finals.

Our future looks quite bright and if we can add a fit JOM and/or Crouch to our midfield in 2017 then we will bounce back up from the depths of this transitional season quite quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. It's official. Clarkson says: "The Hawks are rebuilding."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back