It's official - Watts to St Kilda pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

morgoth said:
Hmmmm Cayd Beetham ring a bell Joffa? Barry Brooks for what pick 8? Now you are in the upper reaches you have not been game to actually draft players. Why is that Joffa? Cos without high picks you are just a rabble club as always.

What about this bit morgoth.

I still get cramps laughing at it

nick dal santo. no,pick
11 would be much better spent on richard "accountable" cole, the only
man who appears to take the instruction "play him close" as a license to
adopt some sort of detroit pistons style zone defence versus shaq. i
swear to christ i watch him sometimes and he's looking up at the sky
while the ball is up for grabs daydreaming. maybe he likes planes? a
looser player you're unlikely to find. OK, i agree, we'll take cole at
and let the saints get dal santo at 13. noel thinks its for the best

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - oh stop it morgoth, you are killing me :D :)

Is that the same Cole that has played in a grand final? Oh yeah it is.

For a team that has drafted and traded so poorly they have still out-performed your mob. I see Beetham won the comp best and fairest is the amo's, you must have been so proud. Maybe Brooks can do it next year and make it back to back.

morgoth said:
Is that the same Cole that has played in a grand final? Oh yeah it is.

For a team that has drafted and traded so poorly they have still out-performed your mob. I see Beetham won the comp best and fairest is the amo's, you must have been so proud. Maybe Brooks can do it next year and make it back to back.

Pretty happy about making those grand finals aren't you?

Welcome to mediocrity.

Maybe we should have traded a Luke Ball pick for a Paul Licuria/Mark Orchard type to accelerate our development, nothing wrong with short term thinking, hey if you didn't have Orchard, Mckee and Licuria you might not have made the GF. Might not have won less than 5 and a half games 2 years later either.

Joffaboy said:
What about this bit morgoth.

I still get cramps laughing at it

nick dal santo. no,pick
11 would be much better spent on richard "accountable" cole, the only
man who appears to take the instruction "play him close" as a license to
adopt some sort of detroit pistons style zone defence versus shaq. i
swear to christ i watch him sometimes and he's looking up at the sky
while the ball is up for grabs daydreaming. maybe he likes planes? a
looser player you're unlikely to find. OK, i agree, we'll take cole at
and let the saints get dal santo at 13. noel thinks its for the best

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - oh stop it morgoth, you are killing me :D :)

Don't stop there they took didak at 3 in 2000 before couglan kerr cornes and a host of others

i think it's actually ended up a win/win situation for both teams.

st.kilda say to themselves: do we think we can be certain of getting someone of equal or better value at pick 17 in this draft than fergus watts? if the answer is no, make the offer

adelaide say: is getting pick 17 and developing that player better than losing watts to the PSD and getting another 5th/6th/7th round pic in the national draft. if the answer to that is yes, then accept the offer.

DEAL DONE and i would think everyone can sleep comfortable tonight

Us3 said:
i think it's actually ended up a win/win situation for both teams.

st.kilda say to themselves: do we think we can be certain of getting someone of equal or better value at pick 17 in this draft than fergus watts? if the answer is no, make the offer

adelaide say: is getting pick 17 and developing that player better than losing watts to the PSD and getting another 5th/6th/7th round pic in the national draft. if the answer to that is yes, then accept the offer.

DEAL DONE and i would think everyone can sleep comfortable tonight

You can't really support Collingwood, your making sense :p

Qsaint said:
Don't stop there they took didak at 3 in 2000 before couglan kerr cornes and a host of others

mate that is a stupid thing to say.

Is it just me or did every single team in the AFL pass on James Hird about 3 times before he was drafted. The same went for Chris Grant.

We could sit here for hours and say who didn't pick up who in the draft. If a top player gets drafted at pick 20 it means every team let him go.

And what is with the saints fans abusing collingwood for being in priority pick territory. Your team has been built on priority picks!!!!

saints trading and drafting is not great either. Probably better than collingwoods but not great.

hall, everitt, wakelin, wakelin etc. the list goes on.

Qsaint said:

Okay, don't get yourself into a bit of contradiction.

St.Kilda, picked up Cadyn Beetham before Luke McPharlin, Robert Murphy, Brad Green, Daniel Giansiracusa, Cameron Ling, Lindsay Gilbee, Ryan O'Keefe, Cameron Bruce....

St. Kilda, picked up Mark Gale before Graham Joncock

St. Kilda, picked up Xavier Clarke before Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Sam Mitchell, Brad Miller, Paul Medhurst, Brian Harris

St. Kilda, picked up Brendan Goddard before Daniel Wells, Jared Brennan, and the rest of the 2002 National Draft

See, we could do this for every bloody team, so SAINT supporters, ask me when you want the shovel.

azza102 said:
mate that is a stupid thing to say.

Is it just me or did every single team in the AFL pass on James Hird about 3 times before he was drafted. The same went for Chris Grant.

We could sit here for hours and say who didn't pick up who in the draft. If a top player gets drafted at pick 20 it means every team let him go.

And what is with the saints fans abusing collingwood for being in priority pick territory. Your team has been built on priority picks!!!!

saints trading and drafting is not great either. Probably better than collingwoods but not great.

hall, everitt, wakelin, wakelin etc. the list goes on.

In response to collingwood supporters questioning st kilda's drafting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie_from_50 said:
Okay, don't get yourself into a bit of contradiction.

St.Kilda, picked up Cadyn Beetham before Luke McPharlin, Robert Murphy, Brad Green, Daniel Giansiracusa, Cameron Ling, Lindsay Gilbee, Ryan O'Keefe, Cameron Bruce....

St. Kilda, picked up Mark Gale before Graham Joncock

St. Kilda, picked up Xavier Clarke before Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Sam Mitchell, Brad Miller, Paul Medhurst, Brian Harris

St. Kilda, picked up Brendan Goddard before Daniel Wells, Jared Brennan, and the rest of the 2002 National Draft

See, we could do this for every bloody team, so SAINT supporters, ask me when you want the shovel.

I thought you needed it to dig youself out of the cellar. Eddie says its only going to take ten years

stui magpie said:
First trade sets the frame of reference. The fact that the saints have been royally stitched up giving away their first pick for a meat bomb who happens to be their CEO's son doesn't come into it. The standard has been set :eek:

In a different year, you can argue that Cole isn't worth a first round pick.

However, he's young; has played some very good football in the past with the potential to be a valuable midfielder and has years ahead of him.

You reckon Watt's value is up because he's a KPP? Doesn't he actually have to be a good KPP to be worth anything? An the Juries still out on him.

another quality poster from Collingwood. welcome :thumbsu:

stui magpie said:
In a different year, you can argue that Cole isn't worth a first round pick.

However, he's young; has played some very good football in the past with the potential to be a valuable midfielder and has years ahead of him.

Have I missed something, but when was he good?
For the last 2 years he has been a soft dud.
Watts has been away from home for 2 years at 18-20 years of age and is coming home, upside surely...

Cole has been skirting packs for 4 years now and has gone backwards on the last 2. Either the Pies are terrible at developing young players or he is a dud, which is it? Maybe both :p

Joffaboy said:
This is my favourite bit

matthew pavlich would be awesome although he might battle when having to receive the footy from rhyce shaw instead of paul hasleby. forgot.
traded pick 3 (pavlich went 4) to tigers for steve mckee and pick 7 (danny
roach). i think i know mckee. isn;t he the gut that now holds up the big
whiteboard at the 1.4 time huddle (no sh-t, check it out next time pies
on TV). and as for danny roach didn't he retire at age 20?
must have played some good footy before that though? 1 game! really? how
many touches? 1! what did he do with it? OUT ON THE FULL!!! surely you
jest.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - fantastic :D

Joffaboy, it wasn't that trade that cost us the chance to pick up Pavlich. It was our decision to recruit Fraser with the #1 pick. Our only chance to pick up Pavlich was to recruit him at #1.
Freo said at the time that they wanted Hasleby and Pavlich. If Collingwood had kept their #3 pick Freo would've picked Pav at #2 leaving Haslbey for #4. This was done due to the fact that at that time Collingwood were desperate for talls, whilst, Richmond were looking at improving their midfield.
By all means attack our decision to recruit Fraser ahead of Pav, but stop regurgitating this myth.
I am in the process of finding an official source to back this up. i hope I find it before I lose interest in this thread.

azza102 said:

Collingwood History Revisionist

and where did you guys finish in '98, '99 and '00

2nd bite of the cherry?

tomaraya said:
Joffaboy, it wasn't that trade that cost us the chance to pick up Pavlich. It was our decision to recruit Fraser with the #1 pick. Our only chance to pick up Pavlich was to recruit him at #1.
Freo said at the time that they wanted Hasleby and Pavlich. If Collingwood had kept their #3 pick Freo would've picked Pav at #2 leaving Haslbey for #4. This was done due to the fact that at that time Collingwood were desperate for talls, whilst, Richmond were looking at improving their midfield.
By all means attack our decision to recruit Fraser ahead of Pav, but stop regurgitating this myth.
I am in the process of finding an official source to back this up. i hope I find it before I lose interest in this thread.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

What are you talking about you traded pick 3 for Mckee and you got pick 7 Danny Roach that surely has to be the worst trade ever. I don't care if he played 50 games when you can't lift your arms above your head. Have a roll of tape on both shoulders. Is slower than Sandilands and never wins a tap out oh and cant kick what use are you? Essentially it was Mckee for Pavlich :p well done Collingwood :D always good for a laugh. You can't have a crack at us we're better than you duds and with your priority picks are on par with our low picks for the last 5 years.... The difference is we have Beveridge.

Collingwood - Steven McKee, Draft Pick 7
Richmond - Clinton King, Draft Pick 3

Looking at that, Collingwood didn't get screwed over. That is because the names of the draftee's aren't there. At the time, during a trade period, who is to know they are going to be superstars? National Draft involves risk. Danny Roach played 1 game, fair enough, but the major deal there was Steven McKee. Now, thinking in the present, McKee seems the dud, but thinking logically, it is incorrect to think he is a dud. Why?

McKee was a big contribution and one of the main reasons why Collingwood was so successful in 2002. His ruckwork was inventive and successful, and was part of a successful midfield in that way. His ruckwork was not the only thing, but it was his work as the sweeping backman which was also very effective. In 2003, the new rucking rule was introduced which let McKee's main attributes disappear, and therefore the end of his career was nearing.

Another fact is...How many Grand Finals has Pavlich helped Fremantle get to?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's official - Watts to St Kilda pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back