Traded Jack Billings [Traded to Melbourne for F3 (Melb)]

Remove this Banner Ad

How do Carlton think they're fitting Jack Billings and Elijah Hollands into their 22 next year? There are heaps of clubs where a fit Billings would be walk up best 22. Carlton isn't one of them.

Freo makes a lot more sense.

How do Carlton think they're fitting Jack Billings and Elijah Hollands into their 22 next year? There are heaps of clubs where a fit Billings would be walk up best 22. Carlton isn't one of them.

Freo makes a lot more sense.

I feel like Carlton could actually do with some good ball use inside 50. He would be an upgrade on Owies if he can get himself fit.

The biggest thing for Billings is getting himself fit and mentally fresh, he hasn't been fit since 2019. That's got to take a toll on your wellbeing.

I think the disconnect with Jack and RTB is that Jack sees himself as a mid where as Ross wants him playing forward. Classic Josh Caddy situation.

Given we have Wood, Hill, Nas, Sinc and soon Henry all set for the wings, Billings needs to be kicking goals and laying tackles inside 50 to displace one of Higgins or Butler.

Dogs and Freo make the most sense if Billings wants to play on the wing.

Career average of 21 a game and just under a goal per game. Runs up to 15km a game so obviously has the work rate.

I think the disconnect with Jack and RTB is that Jack sees himself as a mid where as Ross wants him playing forward. Classic Josh Caddy situation.

Given we have Wood, Hill, Nas, Sinc and soon Henry all set for the wings, Billings needs to be kicking goals and laying tackles inside 50 to displace one of Higgins or Butler.

Dogs and Freo make the most sense if Billings wants to play on the wing.

We could definitely do with a player like Billings. Since Maclean did both his knees we haven't had that sort of player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Billings get a game at the premier or a top 4 side but not at no man’s land St Kilda?

A club will pick him up because he is talented and worth a punt. Not because they think he’d slot into their best 22 seamlessly.

for the same reason Hoskin Elliott has played 23 games this year.

Teams who have ball winners can afford to carry outside players who add silk.

I am not sure where you got that from? Jack sees himself as a forward.

Early this season Lyon had one on one meetings with every player. Lyon asked Billings where he saw himself playing, Billings said as a small forward.

Ross Lyon on Billings:

Lyon was asked about Billings following his side’s loss to Hawthorn on Saturday.

“Jack Billings didn’t do any pre-season, basically. He had a fracture of his leg,” Lyon told reporters."

“He’s played two or three full games. I think it would be fair to say that he’s performing very well."

"By his own admission he’s a centre-forward player, he’s not a midfielder, and I would suggest our small forwards have all been pretty good."

“He’s still go work to do.”

As a small forward he was competing with Higgins, Butler, Gresham, and the also Owens and Phillipou who while not small were often playing as HFs.

Plus pre-season Lyon said he would have Hill playing further up the ground too.

I think Ross is disappointed that Billings did not want to push for another position.

Now by contrast this season Lyon told Sharman that he needed to be more versatile than just be a lead up forward.
Sharman then also played as defensive forward and as a wing. Sharman then stayed in the firsts, with now three strings to his bow.

Blues pulled out of the Gresham race because they couldn't afford him.

Not sure that's right. We can afford him especially with what has come off the books and what is likely coming off the books.

Think it's more that given how our half forwards stepped up late in the year we recognized we don't have as big a need for Gresham on that type of money as we may have previously thought.

Not sure that's right. We can afford him especially with what has come off the books and what is likely coming off the books.

Think it's more that given how our half forwards stepped up late in the year we recognized we don't have as big a need for Gresham on that type of money as we may have previously thought.
It was reported that the asking price from Gresham was too much for the Blues

The cap space at Carlton is obviously getting tight, which played a role.

I still think it's an area of need for the Blues and they be happy to spend that money if it was there.

It was reported that the asking price from Gresham was too much for the Blues

Too much because we couldn't afford it, or too much to spend on that type of player?

The cap space at Carlton is obviously getting tight, which played a role.
For sure it is. But we still have some room to move.

I still think it's an area of need for the Blues and they be happy to spend that money if it was there.
We'll be happy to spend money on a player we need. The point is that I think we've realized the difference in output between a Gresham and a - for example, Fogarty - isn't worth the difference in contract between the two.

Too much because we couldn't afford it, or too much to spend on that type of player?

For sure it is. But we still have some room to move.

We'll be happy to spend money on a player we need. The point is that I think we've realized the difference in output between a Gresham and a - for example, Fogarty - isn't worth the difference in contract between the two.
Sure

While Gresham was down this year he is a much better footballer than fogarty.

There's a clear hole there and the Blues just don't have the money for another decent contract. If they did they'd be going after more than just a fringe Gold Coast player.

While Gresham was down this year he is a much better footballer than fogarty.
Nobody has said otherwise.

There's a clear hole there and the Blues just don't have the money for another decent contract. If they did they'd be going after more than just a fringe Gold Coast player.
Not sure how you can speak in such absolutes without knowledge of the situation. You don't know who we're talking to or who we're looking at beyond the one or two names in the media.

Again, Carlton's cap is somewhat tight, but given what we have coming off the list I'm fairly confident we'd be able to fit him in if we wanted to pay him as much as he appears to be wanting. But we don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Billings [Traded to Melbourne for F3 (Melb)]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back