Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to know what Clarko had for lunch, it feels like a pizza kind of day.
It does, I thought Id treat myself to some pizza.. if anyone here is thinking of eating a Rozzis pizza, dont. Shittest pizza ive ever eaten. How one can **** up a pizza is beyond me, they did it. Never again Rozzi

I just had lunch with Clarko and a former ex-president of ours I’m generally the last one to post this sort of stuff when it arises as I don’t like to big note, so take it for what it is.

Given the events at the moment:

“We aren’t recruiting him for experience or leadership, we are recruiting him because the lad can prepare himself and we think he’s got 2-3 year left of good footy left in him”

I put forward my displeasure.

Parker - Hopeful.

Konstanty - if Sydney want rid of him.

Funny you should say that because I had coffee with Clarko and our current President, takeaway coffee off course but that's a whole other conversation. I was going to bring up the lack of a coffee cart but I got caught up with Clarko telling me why the club has brought in Darling and it's because of his "experience & leadership"
Don't want to turn this into a p*ssing comp, but I had a couple of beers and a good chat about footy with Richard Osborne and Brad Plain at the Metro once. Can't remember what we discussed because it was over 35 years ago and I was p*ssed. Like, really snot-faced. Seemed like nice blokes, though.

All this angst but I am not even sure Jack gets a game

Zane Comben bull
Curtis Larkey (small)

Won’t be the second ruck option.

As an older head who sets standards and effectively replaces greenwood I can live with.
Sorry, but that forward line is not it. Talented? Sure. But it doesn't function as a unit at all, and frankly I'm sick of coasters in our forward line. Zane doesn't deserve a starting spot at this stage, Zurhaar seems to do a 50/50 split between playing footy and sniffing his own farts, but will probably still be in the mix, and whoever takes the position of (small) is well and truly up in the air. I don't trust Bobby yet and think we'll be fortunate if he carries any momentum into next year (of course, I hope like hell he does)

Zurhaar Comben ?

Curtis Larkey Darling

OR

Zurhaar Darling ?

Curtis Larkey ?

Either way, there's room for Darling in R1 imo. Whether he'll be in the team at R5, who knows, but we need to inject someone who has a ****ing brain into that forward line, and he seems to have at least half a one

Darling debuted into a team featuring premiership players such as Embley (Norm Smith), Glass (ended up AA captain), Cox (one of the great ruckmen and came off the rookie list), and Waters (hard nut and professional).

None of our current senior players learned from comparable teammates.

Darling has also managed just shy of 300 games in a fishbowl and has weathered the scrutiny.

Any of this he can impart on the current crop will make a huge difference.

A club champion at west coast, but they don’t want him.

Don’t want him teaching their young forwards. Don’t want his one percenters. Don’t want him driving their training standards.

That’s alright, at North he will be an invaluable resource.

Who is they? They don't have a coach.

Personally I think this move cements comben down back, with the option of swinging him forward in a game of needed.
Maybe not longer term, but at least for next year that would seem to be the plan. Comben can go forward from time to time as injury cover, or to test an opponent who might be undersized, and hopefully get something closer to a full season in. Then 2026 go forward full time if that's still the long term plan, with Darling basically depth.

Would it hurt less if you found out tomorrow that both Parker and Houston were making their way over here? Because that's the genuine overall play from current knowledge and on paper that's not a bad off-season of trades.

Pick 64 isn't worth diddly-dick and we would've done nothing for a nobody with it had we drafted it or packaged it into some other lowball trade.

Is Jack Darling going to be shit? Most likely, but as long as he brings some genuine experience and value to this completely confidence-sapped group of dudes who have never been surrounded with playing talent that so much as made a prelim that's a tick for the deal. Its got zero returns expected for a low cost over a 1-2, maybe 3-year period (Although he ain't lasting that long).

Would it hurt less if you found out tomorrow that both Parker and Houston were making their way over here? Because that's the genuine overall play from current knowledge and on paper that's not a bad off-season of trades.

Pick 64 isn't worth diddly-dick and we would've done nothing for a nobody with it had we drafted it or packaged it into some other lowball trade.

Is Jack Darling going to be shit? Most likely, but as long as he brings some genuine experience and value to this completely confidence-sapped group of dudes who have never been surrounded with playing talent that so much as made a prelim that's a tick for the deal. Its got zero returns expected for a low cost over a 1-2, maybe 3-year period (Although he ain't lasting that long).
Re: pick 64, we can generate a pick similar to that if we have the list vacancies. One of the reasons that R4 picks are not valuable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to turn this into a p*ssing comp, but I had a couple of beers and a good chat about footy with Richard Osborne and Brad Plain at the Metro once. Can't remember what we discussed because it was over 35 years ago and I was p*ssed. Like, really snot-faced. Seemed like nice blokes, though.

I don’t want to piss further in a pissing competition here, but I once asked the late Paul Couch at Lambies wat he had “to say about Colby seeing his building a presence at North”.

He didn’t answer me

I just had lunch with Clarko and a former ex-president of ours I’m generally the last one to post this sort of stuff when it arises as I don’t like to big note, so take it for what it is.

Given the events at the moment:

“We aren’t recruiting him for experience or leadership, we are recruiting him because the lad can prepare himself and we think he’s got 2-3 year left of good footy left in him”

I put forward my displeasure.

Parker - Hopeful.

Konstanty - if Sydney want rid of him.

…Damo please…why not just give him a call rather than go to lunch?

Re: pick 64, we can generate a pick similar to that if we have the list vacancies. One of the reasons that R4 picks are not valuable.

Isn't there some shenanigans where we can Cat B Stevo's kid or some such if nobody bids on him too, obviating the need even for that throwaway pick?

Isn't there some shenanigans where we can Cat B Stevo's kid or some such if nobody bids on him too, obviating the need even for that throwaway pick?
Not Cat B. But if nobody bids we can rookie him before the rookie draft.
Also, if he is bid on after 56 you just need a list spot to match.

I once held a door open for Nathan 'Blake' Grima who gave me a 'thanks mate'. True story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back