Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he fulfill the 'leadership/mentor' role that Clarkson was talking about, though? His COVID nuttery would have me wondering....
Hopefully that mess is well behind us. On the other hand, Darling is always in great physical condition and very durable so perhaps there is something to be said for him being an example on that front. He has also played like someone in dire need of a fresh challenge this season, only really coming to the party when there has been a sniff of a win.

How many is that? WC seem to be replacing 6-7 each year when normal turnover is 4-5 anyway. You need to keep the leaders but guys like Darling & Gaff haven’t been leading and just bring the group down.

I have no idea what it’s looking like this year for WC but with Tassie coming in, I’d be targeting 8-9 list changes, even if some are mature age. If an opportunity comes to move on an old player who is not a leader, you take it while you are rebuilding.

You can if the contract is bad. 800k is hilarious for Darlings output. It would be fun to do a deep dive with Gaff’s & Darling contracts to see which one was worse. I wonder if WC have had any worst than that in their history?
Its the last year of his 5 year deal and in previous averaged 30 goals, 14 possies a game and been one of the best inside 50 tacklers in the league over that time

Lets not pretend the last 6 months of his career are indicative of his past 5 years. First 3 years he was worth 800k for sure and was very good. We probably should have traded him in 2021 when he was coming off 42 goals and was no 3 in comp for tackles inside 50

Demons would have given up a bit for him at that time

8-9. More than enough. You suggesting we clear out Darling for cap space and a list spot would be like me saying you should go after Max Gawn because he’s a fantastic ruck.
If it’s 8 or 9 then I agree. It’s been less than that for the last three drafts from memory.

Its the last year of his 5 year deal and in previous averaged 30 goals, 14 possies a game and been one of the best inside 50 tacklers in the league over that time

Lets not pretend the last 6 months of his career are indicative of his past 5 years. First 3 years he was worth 800k for sure and was very good. We probably should have traded him in 2021 when he was coming off 42 goals and was no 3 in comp for tackles inside 50

Demons would have given up a bit for him at that time
30 goals for a key forward is not good, especially not 800k worth. I know he’s a big on the short side but it didn’t stop him when paired with JK. Once JK left he seem to get a lot worse.

If it’s 8 or 9 then I agree. It’s been less than that for the last three drafts from memory.

30 goals for a key forward is not good, especially not 800k worth. I know he’s a big on the short side but it didn’t stop him when paired with JK. Once JK left he seem to get a lot worse.
Worst contract in our history is a bit of a over exaggeration is my main point. Many worse contracts in the last 5 years then Darlings thats for sure.

including mid season draft we've brought in 18 players in the last 2 years. 11 in 2021 but that's with a few covid top ups.

including mid season draft we've brought in 18 players in the last 2 years. 11 in 2021 but that's with a few covid top ups.
Are you sure? 5 & 4 draft picks in those 2 years. Flipping rookies & cat B’s regularly might not be holding them long enough to develop. Winder could actually be AFL standard but already delisted.

Club announces Archer Reid has extended, and now Will Schofield saying JD seriously considering other offers.

I think he may actually leave now. It would make sense for us to prioritise Archer next year over JD.

Waterman will be better at the up the ground role JD has played anyway. Oscar a bit higher in F50, Archer the deep.

Best for everyone.

As a pure stop-gap for a nothing pick while Comben and the other young KPP develop, I guess it makes sense.

Does he fulfill the 'leadership/mentor' role that Clarkson was talking about, though? His COVID nuttery would have me wondering....

Mate that sort of leadership at Essendon 10 odd years ago would have saved some careers and alot of heartache.

George Costanza Flirt GIF

Club announces Archer Reid has extended, and now Will Schofield saying JD seriously considering other offers.

I think he may actually leave now. It would make sense for us to prioritise Archer next year over JD.

Waterman will be better at the up the ground role JD has played anyway. Oscar a bit higher in F50, Archer the deep.

Best for everyone.

If the Geezer Whisperer Schofield is spouting it then it’s likely coming from Darling.

Fair enough.

When he wants to, Jack can still go. He was BOG for us late in the season…but one swallow does not make a summer. He’s also heavily prone to going missing in recent years and has become something of a burden for the team and the club to carry.

If he thinks he’s better off at North Melbourne to play out his days then good luck to him. Perhaps it will ‘reinvigorate’ him? It’s been a painful few years watching him at the Eagles.

Shame it’s come to that but he’s bonkers if he thinks he’s earned a contract extension with the Eagles if that’s his angle.

Are you sure? 5 & 4 draft picks in those 2 years. Flipping rookies & cat B’s regularly might not be holding them long enough to develop. Winder could actually be AFL standard but already delisted.
Doesnt take into account Hutchison and Maric who been 2 brilliant pickups really in MSD or Cat B players with Dewar for example showing a fair bit at ends of year . Very excited to see what all 3 do with a extra pre season. All 3 track as best 22

No point for darling to leave the eagles when in 2025, he is on his final year at $700-$800,000 a year.

More likely for Elliot yeo to leave

No point for darling to leave the eagles when in 2025, he is on his final year at $700-$800,000 a year.

More likely for Elliot yeo to leave
He will still get 800k next year no matter where he is. He could be sunning himself in the Maldives and still earn 800k a year

The want or desire would be to get a 2 year deal out of North so 800k becomes 1.2 mill over 2 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's a salary dump trade then why are North giving you a 3rd round pick?
You are not. You are going back 19 spots in the draft. In the end you are pursuing the guy and want him so its pretty likely we will ask for a little bit back. Getting pick 59 into 40 will help us match any early bids for Malaki Champion so is a handy pick for us to have

You are not. You are going back 19 spots in the draft. In the end you are pursuing the guy and want him so its pretty likely we will ask for a little bit back. Getting pick 59 into 40 will help us match any early bids for Malaki Champion so is a handy pick for us to have
Even that doesn't make any sense, if it's a salary dump then West Coast are getting the benefit of shedding his salary. The premise behind those kind of trades is that the selling party would need to add value, not the other way round.

I think the idea that North are pursuing Darling is a bit overblown, I doubt we'd be interested in including anything of value like pick 40 (or a 19 pick downgrade as you described) in a deep draft to facilitate the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back