Speculation Jack Lukosius [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd hope the crows' perspective is they are also happy to not get Lukosius if it requires a first round pick.

But deep down you know the Adelaide ol boys network will pay whatever is needed to get Luko "home". Reid can't and won't say no.

But deep down you know the Adelaide ol boys network will pay whatever is needed to get Luko "home". Reid can't and won't say no.
Reid is actually pretty shrewd at the trade table (Gibbs deal aside). My concern would be more us overestimating how much we need a third tall and underestimating our need to address other areas. From a crows perspective, Lukosius is a nice player to have but not a need and therefore shouldn't be involving any first rounder.

I look at this a bit diffetently in that IF we could secure Luko and Rosas for something like this, i would do it even factoring in the contracts

F1 + 43 for Luko, Rosas and 35

35 then on traded to melbourne for ANB. So essentially we get 3 players that will add to our side for our f1 and a 3rd rounder.

Remember the contract side of things may be key for GC to shed for next year and 2026

Ah. Okay, thanks. Although that doesn't make a whole heap of sense. The coach not wanting Lukosius is only being speculated because it appears that he is happy to let Lukosius go. If Gold Coast hold him to his contract, it can only mean that the coach does want him. The cost of his contract will be an equally(ish) big issue for every club - unless Gold Coast have a tight cap, but it doesn't sound like that is an issue - so you could make the same argument that any club trading for him would be "dumb" list management. Personally, I can't see it being an issue for Gold Coast if they decide to keep Lukosius, unless he doesn't want to be there to the extent that it affects his or the sides performance.

Did AI write this?

Jon Ralph running with the Suns happy to keep Lukosius if we don't get a first round pick.

John Ralph also confirming he's on $1m per year for the final 2 years of his contract, goodness me.

But yeah, with Rioli, Noble and god knows who else you'll have to pay for in the next few years, the binfire sale at GC has turned into 'we love you, we want you to explore your options..... but ahhh we'd also love to keep you wink wink

They're shopping Rosas around as well?

Come on...

I don’t think anyone is expecting pick 4 to be involved, as a Suns fan it’s a little confusing as to why we would allow Luko and Rosas to look elsewhere while contracted. As I understand it the cap is fine so maybe Dimma has something else up his sleeve but no one’s talking, a forward line like below is talented but too young IMO

Lombard King Rodgers
Ainsworth Walter Humphrey

With Mac and Read as swingmen

Anyway if Luko goes, I wish him the best
Pretty obvious why… to free up cap space to fit in the “rivers of academy gold” flowing into the club and all the other stars already on the list..

Luko isnt that good a player and he’s on serious coin.

I don’t think anyone is expecting pick 4 to be involved, as a Suns fan it’s a little confusing as to why we would allow Luko and Rosas to look elsewhere while contracted. As I understand it the cap is fine so maybe Dimma has something else up his sleeve but no one’s talking, a forward line like below is talented but too young IMO

Lombard King Rodgers
Ainsworth Walter Humphrey

With Mac and Read as swingmen

Anyway if Luko goes, I wish him the best
There is cap issues at GC, but not like they are over it now.
Mac Andrews is coming out of contract and will get million dollar offers to go back to Victoria. They have to account for that.
Rowell is out of contract next year, and he is going to get a big rise, again with Vic clubs throwing big money at him.
Then, you have Rioli coming in who will be on at least 800k a year.
They need to find money to pay for these new contracts.

My concern would be more us overestimating how much we need a third tall and underestimating our need to address other areas. From a crows perspective, Lukosius is a nice player to have but not a need and therefore shouldn't be involving any first rounder.
This is a fair point. Wing, midfield and ruck are the biggest priorities in my opinion. If Adelaide can start to address these in via trade and free agency, I would be comfortable with them trading next years first round draft pick. Cumming (wing), ABN (may be able to add to the depth of midfield rotations), pick 4 (midfielder) and a young ruck over the next couple of years with late pick trade or late in the draft and I would be okay with not having a 2025 r1. It would put a lot of pressure on Curtin, Edwards and pick 4 to perform though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then, you have Rioli coming in who will be on at least 800k a year.
They need to find money to pay for these new contracts.
That really wont be an issue and easy to deal with for Gold Coast

#7 + #15 and Richmond will take $600k x 2 years which gets them over the cap issue's

Or they could do a clean sweep
Luko + #7 +#15 +#20 for
Rioli ($600k x 2 years paid by Richmond) + #66 +#73

GC will no longer have a salary cap problem

Ah. Okay, thanks. Although that doesn't make a whole heap of sense. The coach not wanting Lukosius is only being speculated because it appears that he is happy to let Lukosius go. If Gold Coast hold him to his contract, it can only mean that the coach does want him. The cost of his contract will be an equally(ish) big issue for every club - unless Gold Coast have a tight cap, but it doesn't sound like that is an issue - so you could make the same argument that any club trading for him would be "dumb" list management. Personally, I can't see it being an issue for Gold Coast if they decide to keep Lukosius, unless he doesn't want to be there to the extent that it affects his or the sides performance.

Suns were in a notoriously poor cap situation only a couple of years ago. Unbelievable given they’d never even played finals. They may have kicked the can down the road by backloading heavily. Who knows these days though.

Suns were in a notoriously poor cap situation only a couple of years ago. Unbelievable given they’d never even played finals. They may have kicked the can down the road by backloading heavily. Who knows these days though.
Not really a massive problem for them really

They just sell off picks / players for cap space until the team is where it needs to be and will get there next year and play finals

Taking on his back ended contract of 1mill/yr x 2, will see we won't be handing over our first rounder for this year. Any way you want to frame this, there is a salary dump element to this. Obviously he isn't worth 1mill a year, but we have the money and you have to pay your total salary cap to someone.

Not really a massive problem for them really

They just sell off picks / players for cap space until the team is where it needs to be and will get there next year and play finals

Doing that is no different to taking a discount on luko though. Assuming there’s any truth to the cap issue claim. Last time it was common knowledge, not sure that’s the case these days.

Pretty obvious why… to free up cap space to fit in the “rivers of academy gold” flowing into the club and all the other stars already on the list..

Luko isnt that good a player and he’s on serious coin.
+ need to free up cap space for Rioli & Noblle... as also got some higher priority players who will demand more money to re-sign.

Not freeing up $1M pa will mean Hardwick won't be able to achieve all the list changes he is wanting to make.

Let's face it, Lukosius is not good value for $1M pa.

Most people aren't that enthusiastic with luko tbh ... He isn't a great need... He's a nice to have
I think they are dreaming if todays report is correct and they’re wanting a first round pick for him. You give those picks for established, good best 10 players, not fringe types who still haven’t found a best position after 6 years in the system.

That really wont be an issue and easy to deal with for Gold Coast

#7 + #15 and Richmond will take $600k x 2 years which gets them over the cap issue's

Or they could do a clean sweep
Luko + #7 +#15 +#20 for
Rioli ($600k x 2 years paid by Richmond) + #66 +#73

GC will no longer have a salary cap problem
Doubt Lukosius is looking to go to Richmond or Richmond would be looking at Lukosius as someone needed for a rebuild.

I think the underlying issue is that recently Suns got talls as top draft talent. Andrew, Walter, Read. Add them to Luko, King. There is also Moyle but that's more ruck issue with Witts. In defence there is Ballard and Collins. Suns also had as a depth Casboult, Day. Day is gone now.

Can Suns play them all? I am pretty sure the answer is not. Do they want/can pay them all down the track? I doubt.

Somebody has to go and Luko is a choice. He does not fit into Dimma's plan?

He got some elite traits and will thrive in a right system. High half forward, wing. Just re-watch some games last year after bye. Even against Tigers when I thought he had average game (including some poor body language) he had 2 goals (should have 4 if teammates did not ignore him) and set up several goals with smart kicks.

What's the price? I could not care less. I leave it to people fighting their fights here. Generally, people overvalue picks, then wait 5 years for a player to develop and deliver, some get injured, some don't reach potential, some leave.

Personally, I would probably keep Luko one more year while Walter, Read develop.

Can Suns play finals? That's what interests me. After first 3 rounds Suns played top 1-3 youngest line-ups. Looking at off-season suggested moves so far it could be similar next season.

It's crazy even competition. Most teams will improve and compete for finals.

Personally, I can't see which teams in top 8 will drop out. Then there are 6-7 teams who could make it.

OK, back to reading mostly crazy stuff here.

Well, if the player doesn't want to be there and the coach doesn't wasn't him, AND he's got $2m owing, it doesn't seem smart for the list manager to keep him there.

I look at this a bit diffetently in that IF we could secure Luko and Rosas for something like this, i would do it even factoring in the contracts

F1 + 43 for Luko, Rosas and 35

35 then on traded to melbourne for ANB. So essentially we get 3 players that will add to our side for our f1 and a 3rd rounder.

Remember the contract side of things may be key for GC to shed for next year and 2026
Yep, that absolutely sucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Lukosius [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back