Speculation Jack Lukosius [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

who cares what Rankine is being paid, he's worth it and probably more. Never understood the criticism leveled at Adelaide for paying him 800k or whatever it was. He is one of the biggest talents in the league and was a lock for the all australian side this year if he made the needed games cutoff
One of the all time bone head calls to allow him to go and have Lukosius on our books at almost a mill a year for the next 2 years, and for GC that's saying something

One of the all time bone head calls to allow him to go and have Lukosius on our books at almost a mill a year for the next 2 years, and for GC that's saying something

Getting Lukosius off the books seems like pretty solid list management for GC at this point. Always disappointing with a high draft pick of course, but he's kind of stuck in no-mans land as to what type of player he even is right now.

Free up the cash, lock down some contracts on some of the more important pieces they have and move on. Makes sense for both SA teams to be interested in him, but the fact nobody even really knows how he would be used kind fo says it all with this guy.

Rankine probably should be the highest paid at Adelaide. It is hilarious that it is Laird.
Was lucky enough to come OOC when we became rubbish, snuck a BnF or 2 in and has a Victorian born and bred partner who started to talk about going home. Was a B2B AA player too.

We didnt need to blink and we did.

Yes we have access but in an emerging market, South Australia has been an AFL state since it began.

Not sure your thoughts on fixation of some SA fans and Queensland players hits the mark, Queensland doesn’t seem to actively chase players from the state, certainly not with the same fever SA does, anyway that’s my opinion.
You're right, on reflection and without needless comparison to the Suns, the fixation is perhaps based on the following, with varying degrees of truth and importance:
  1. Latent anger at the VFL ruining the SANFL league and poaching our best players which escalated in the 80s until we were forced into the AFL at the end of 1990. This has a resulted in 3 premierships in SA in 33 years after getting one per year for 100+ years.
  2. Old state of origin games
  3. Needing to beat the Vics at everything we do and continuously prove ourselves to a state that doesn't notice us or respect our football history, in part because culturally we are more similar than we are different which makes differentiation difficult (compared to the rest of Australia), in part to Vic arrogance (which we can acknowledge is a natural relationship dynamic, e.g. Australia vs USA).
  4. Grand finals at the MCG
  5. Closer observation of talent through under 16s and u18s in state competition
  6. Victorian recruits wanting to go home, aka the home sickness malady for Vic metro young adults who are drafted in the the first round
  7. Not having won a premiership in almost 30 years, requiring a clear strategy for a rebuild that involves talent identification, retention and trading.
The accumulation of some or all of these has resulted in the AFC needing to get Lukosius home, and we will no doubt overpay for this.

PS Port don't have the above list of ailments, it was them who betrayed SA and destroyed the SANFL comp, and can differentiate themselves against the bigger and more dominate Adelaide (refer point 3 above), and they have a home ground and club culture ingrained which helps with retention.

You're right, on reflection and without needless comparison to the Suns, the fixation is perhaps based on the following, with varying degrees of truth and importance:
  1. Latent anger at the VFL ruining the SANFL league and poaching our best players which escalated in the 80s until we were forced into the AFL at the end of 1990. This has a resulted in 3 premierships in SA in 33 years after getting one per year for 100+ years.
  2. Old state of origin games
  3. Needing to beat the Vics at everything we do and continuously prove ourselves to a state that doesn't notice us or respect our football history, in part because culturally we are more similar than we are different which makes differentiation difficult (compared to the rest of Australia), in part to Vic arrogance (which we can acknowledge is a natural relationship dynamic, e.g. Australia vs USA).
  4. Grand finals at the MCG
  5. Closer observation of talent through under 16s and u18s in state competition
  6. Victorian recruits wanting to go home, aka the home sickness malady for Vic metro young adults who are drafted in the the first round
  7. Not having won a premiership in almost 30 years, requiring a clear strategy for a rebuild that involves talent identification, retention and trading.
The accumulation of some or all of these has resulted in the AFC needing to get Lukosius home, and we will no doubt overpay for this.

PS Port don't have the above list of ailments, it was them who betrayed SA and destroyed the SANFL comp, and can differentiate themselves against the bigger and more dominate Adelaide (refer point 3 above), and they have a home ground and club culture ingrained which helps with retention.
Some of the above grates on all non Vic clubs, once Tassie is in we are getting close to voting parity, would have been closer still if North had moved to Tassie. The sooner the non VIC clubs have majority power the sooner we will have a true National competition.

Anyone doubting that there is a vic- centric mindset in the AFL ask yourselves why the media, vic clubs and even the AFL call non vic clubs “ interstate”

The whole Grand Final at the G regardless of who’s playing and I miss my Mum but I only want to play for this team should be the first things scrapped

Some of the above grates on all non Vic clubs, once Tassie is in we are getting close to voting parity, would have been closer still if North had moved to Tassie. The sooner the non VIC clubs have majority power the sooner we will have a true National competition.

Anyone doubting that there is a vic- centric mindset in the AFL ask yourselves why the media, vic clubs and even the AFL call non vic clubs “ interstate”

The whole Grand Final at the G regardless of who’s playing and I miss my Mum but I only want to play for this team should be the first things scrapped
Yep, we are in this together.

who cares what Rankine is being paid, he's worth it and probably more. Never understood the criticism leveled at Adelaide for paying him 800k or whatever it was. He is one of the biggest talents in the league and was a lock for the all australian side this year if he made the needed games cutoff
GCS supporters saying he is a money grabber and only left because of a "God Father" offer which they couldn't match but he only left accepting $100K more and not the "reported" $300K more but easily worth $1M right now.

He loves the no pressure environment too.

I suspect he stays unless Dimma REALLY doesnt want him there.
He’s contracted, so there’s nothing stopping him from running around in the 2s for a few years earning a couple a million for his troubles. It wouldn’t look good for either party, but it’s not his problem the Suns were willing to fork out that kind of coin for what is effectively a Jack Watts clone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s contracted, so there’s nothing stopping him from running around in the 2s for a few years earning a couple a million for his troubles. It wouldn’t look good for either party, but it’s not his problem the Suns were willing to fork out that kind of coin for what is effectively a Jack Watts clone.
IMO, Lukosius is a very good player in a right system. Re-watch him last year. I suspect whatever team lands him will be happy. Not many players read game like him. Just use him properly.

You know it's back-ended contract. When he re-signed it was rumoured to be 700-750K.

If we did not draft Andrew, Walter and Read Luko would still probably find a long-term role but right now I can't see him fitting into Dimma's system.

Let him go is actually pretty smart list management. Crows/Port will take on his salary and does look like F1 could be part of a deal. Saving 1M per next 2 years does not hurt either considering if Luko stays he may/may not make best 22 in 2025.

IMO, Lukosius is a very good player in a right system. Re-watch him last year.

You know it's back-ended contract. When he re-signed it was rumoured to be 700-750K.

If we did not draft Andrew, Walter and Read Luko would still probably find a long-term role but right now I can't see him fitting into Dimma's system.

Let him go is actually pretty smart list management.
Yes but given the above circumstances and advantageous to clear salary cap you can't expect the world in return.

Yes but given the above circumstances and advantageous to clear salary cap you can't expect the world in return.
Then just move on. Pretty easy. It does look like F1 could be involved. Teen pick is not a world especially if you get something back.

Don't forget TPP goes through the roof this year. Most teams got plenty of money. In a couple of years, every team will have 5-6 players on 1M+.

Personally, I think Luko can stay if he wants, Suns cap can handle it. Suns cleared up a lot of money in previous years, even this year probably 1M already. Next year Suns have a lot of players on decent money in their last year.

Then just move on. Pretty easy. It does look like F1 could be involved.

Don't forget TPP goes through the roof this year. Most teams got plenty of money. In a couple of years, every team will have 5-6 players on 1M+.

Personally, I think Luko can stay if he wants, Suns cap can handle it. Suns cleared up a lot of money in previous years, even this year probably 1M already. Next year Suns have a lot of players on decent money in their last year.
I'm sure crows and Port will move on.
Means GC get stuck with Jack and probably can't afford to upgrade the best 22.
Seems counter-productive

I'm sure crows and Port will move on.
Means GC get stuck with Jack and probably can't afford to upgrade the best 22.
Seems counter-productive
Let's see. I am very confident Rioli and Noble will arrive regardless of Luko staying or going.

Luko loves it on GC, loves his mates. Who knows he may buckle down and fight for his spot. Up to him really. He may leave next year if he does not make it into best 22. Walter and Read are just babies. That's probably another reason why Suns are interested in Himmelberg. Luko would be handy next year, no doubt especially if injuries hit.

Last year, Suns did something similar with Chol (IMO, crap compared to Luko). They insisted on 2nd round pick and got it (while giving something back).

Last edited:
Nicks and the board is getting sacked if they miss out on finals, Hinkley gets sacked if he doesn't make a prelim
Probably. But it's irresponsible to trade for a player that's borderline best 22 at one club on a million per year for a first rounder.

I have a soft spot for GC and Lukosius, would rather he stayed and produces for GC, but if Dimma doesn't want him in the team it's in your interests to move him.

Let's see. I am very confident Rioli and Noble will arrive regardless of Luko stays or goes.

Luko loves it on GC, loves his mates. Who knows he may buckle down and fight for his spot. Up to him really. He may leave next year if he does not make it into best 22.

Last year, Suns did something similar with Chol (IMO, crap compared to Luko). They insisted on 2nd round pick and got it (while giving something back).
Don't disagree next season you could fit in Rioli and Noble. But for 2026 with Andrew contract and need to continue to upgrade the best 22 from someone who wants to see GC succeed (check my posting history I've been pushing for a guernsey change for a long time on this forum) if Dimma doesn't see Jack as a worthwhile player it will make it hard to attract star players on good salary next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Lukosius [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back