Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not for a bloke who has questions over whether he plays again, especially where best case we get 40 or 50 games from him
Why's there question marks on whether he plays again? If he says to Geelong he's right to go, then that should be enough.

Your first will be late anyway. Paying half his salary. And he's contracted.

What’s his contract worth? You’d have to pay a fair whack IMO for Geelong to consider a first. And I still don’t think they’d do that.
Likihood they don’t. Jack is on roughly 800k. We’ll let him go for obvious reasons, but we’ll be asking for adequate returns. What that looks like I’m not sure. But it won’t be Geelongs 2nd.

Think we'd get Geelongs first or similar if we paid half his salary for a year or two.

The only way I see you getting our first .. is we gain extra R1 from somewhere so we still participate in the r1 ... and the deal is similar to the Ablett deal. As far as a couple of year of wage .. id say the you could keep some of his wage in 2020 but that would be it ..as the stk contract finishes then..

Ablett cost Pick 19 and a swap of 2nd round picks and was 4 years older than Steven at the time of Trade.

Ablett also with similar go home issues.

At miniumum Jack Steven is worth the same, and more likely a straight swap of Geelongs first round pick.
Abletts issues weren’t close to Stevens. Jack is literally away from the club. And who knows if these issues will be solved once he’s playing in Geelong. A first for a soon to be 30 year old is not a deal that Geelong will accept at all. By doing a trade they’d be doing it as a favor for Jack. Certainly won’t be paying off overs.

Why's there question marks on whether he plays again? If he says to Geelong he's right to go, then that should be enough.

Your first will be late anyway. Paying half his salary. And he's contracted.
Maybe, but the last guy we traded in with similar health issues said the same. It's no reflection on him personally, mental health issues can be seriously debilitating. He may have every intention of fulfilling a role and playing for years.

This is what makes this trade so hard. It's easy to see both the player he was and the complexity of overcoming these issues. The massive gulf between the possible outcomes here shows why the massive gulf in valuations exists.

Abletts issues weren’t close to Stevens. Jack is literally away from the club. And who knows if these issues will be solved once he’s playing in Geelong. A first for a soon to be 30 year old is not a deal that Geelong will accept at all. By doing a trade they’d be doing it as a favor for Jack. Certainly won’t be paying off overs.

Correct and Ablett never cost 19 anyway. He was a 5 pick downgrade from 19 to 24 (where we picked Kelly) plus a mid 30s pick and we got an upgrade of our R4 into GCs round 4 in return. So essentially he cost about pick 30. Steven would be lucky to be worth that.

Correct and Ablett never cost 19 anyway. He was a 5 pick downgrade from 19 to 24 (where we picked Kelly) plus a mid 30s pick and we got an upgrade of our R4 into GCs round 4 in return. So essentially he cost about pick 30. Steven would be lucky to be worth that.

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 10.29.05 pm.png

So ... p19 downgrade p24 and FR2 downgrade to FR4

The first obstacle for a deal like this the Saints do not even have a R2..

Last edited:
Likihood they don’t. Jack is on roughly 800k. We’ll let him go for obvious reasons, but we’ll be asking for adequate returns. What that looks like I’m not sure. But it won’t be Geelongs 2nd.

If the rumours are true that you are interested in BCrouch then maybe you will be happy to just move him and his dollars..

Said this before ... Id rather let him play out his contract then give you an R1.. our infrequency in the R1 means we need to now go back into it. To let a r1 go for a 30 year old player would be a big risk ..let alone a player that has hardly played this year. Like with Ablett the only reason its even considered veasable is because JS has been a very good player. Players have to take responsibility for signing long term contracts. If he had only signed for 4 years he would be FA this year ..and bothe saint and cats would probably be better of.

So some sort of downgrade is probably worth discussing but with no R2 it makes it difficult. Would we do it for FR2 ? Not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the rumours are true that you are interested in BCrouch then maybe you will be happy to just move him and his dollars..

Said this before ... Id rather let him play out his contract then give you an R1.. our infrequency in the R1 means we need to now go back into it. To let a r1 go for a 30 year old player would be a big risk ..let alone a player that has hardly played this year. Like with Ablett the only reason its even considered veasable is because JS has been a very good player. Players have to take responsibility for signing long term contracts. If he had only signed for 4 years he would be FA this year ..and bothe saint and cats would probably be better of.

So some sort of downgrade is probably worth discussing but with no R2 it makes it difficult. Would we do it for FR2 ? Not sure.
Whats your second round pick likely though? 40's after compo's ect. I think we would somewhere in-between.

Your first round isn't that good to begin with.. that's half the problem. Your second round is terrible.

If you could find a pick 20-25 that would get it done imo.

Whats your second round pick likely though? 40's after compo's ect. I think we would somewhere in-between.

Your first round isn't that good to begin with.. that's half the problem. Your second round is terrible.

If you could find a pick 20-25 that would get it done imo.

Could be 40ish... perhaps we get another pick somewhere .. perhaps you trade back a pick you are acquire somewhere. My preference would be that he deliver what he agreed to and play for Stk in 2020.

Could be 40ish... perhaps we get another pick somewhere .. perhaps you trade back a pick you are acquire somewhere. My preference would be that he deliver what he agreed to and play for Stk in 2020.
Easy to say standing from afar though mate. If your life was theoretically crumbling beneath your feet, would you not do something to stop the hurt?

Line breaking mids are hard to get. He’s a gun.

Give up pick 18-20 (or wherever it lands after academies etc).

Get saints to pay a lot of salary.

Maybe try get a future 3rd pick back

Win/win
Agreed. Good to see an independent thinking straight.

Easy to say standing from afar though mate. If your life was theoretically crumbling beneath your feet, would you not do something to stop the hurt?

I will only comment on the footy side of it.. he is contracted to play for the saints. No one will blame him if he cant fulfil the contract due to health issues .. the afl is far more enlightened than that these days... ..but Saints have all the power here...and if he can play footy ..I could see why they would expect him to play out his contract. Its in their control ..they are the ones who have to decide the outcome.

Seems he’ll be Geelong bound. Geelong won’t be giving up a first for him. Saints will just need Geelong to work out how they can improve their second round pick. Or they back Geelong to slide a little next year and take a future second.
Steven still has a bit of conditioning to do. Saw him in the vfl on the weekend. Has the pace and was obviously above the level. But he has a lot of work to do.

Good assessment. You're absolutely spot on I reckon.

If Geelong cant improved their 2nd. This still gets done imo.

36, 54 and FR2
For
Steven, 70, FR3

This would be like the last resort type of stuff. Saints wont be happy but its fair enough.

But i truly think the kelly trade will change things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back