Premiership Player
Suspended
Nov 5, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Gerald Green
a thread to discuss everything about a person whose nickname should be the lightbulb

Jack is about 194-5cms. Great football knowledge, one of the best contested marks going round with amazing skills.
2.72 20m sprint - better that anyplayer in last years draft, and one the best vertical leap of anyone at this AIS. THe guy is a freak

Emma Quayle said:
Watts the goss, say recruiters
NICK Naitanui is big and athletic and an incredibly exciting young football player. The dreadlocked, Fijian-born ruckman has been touted all season as this year's No. 1 draft pick, but recruiters don't make decisions in March, and now there is a new contender.

Two weeks ago, on a Sunday morning at the MCG, Vic Metro was trailing Vic Country by three points with fewer than 30 seconds left in the opening game of the national under-18 championships. The ball was on Metro's half-forward line and Jack Watts was closer to goal, hovering somewhere in the middle of a thick pack.

Someone needed to do something, and the ball seemed destined for just one pair of hands — his. After he marked, Watts took only a few seconds, stepped back and kicked the winning goal, his fourth. It was a big moment, on a big stage, and it made people take notice.

One recruiter believes that by the end of the year — "if not by the end of the carnival" — Watts will be considered the best young prospect in the country. Another, still firmly in the Naitanui camp, described Watts as this year's shooting star. Another went further still. "If the draft was on tomorrow and I had first pick, I'd be choosing him," he said. "Without hesitation. He's just a natural player, he's an athlete and he's a very strong competitor.

Rest

Here's hoping he gets to our first pick!! Perfect as a forward option after Fev.

My wishlist for our first rounder is now as follows:

1. Hurley
2. Watts
3. Rich
4. Trengove

also a great basketballer probably the best for his age in the country the boy is seriously talented

Yeah he is very good, a mate of mine played state with him a few years back for basketball. Apparently he is just a freak.
I think the reason why he hasn't been hyped up so much is because from memory he is quite bottom aged and perhaps had less expected from him this year but I do see him going high in the draft.

Rest

Here's hoping he gets to our first pick!! Perfect as a forward option after Fev.

My wishlist for our first rounder is now as follows:

1. Hurley
2. Watts
3. Rich
4. Trengove

I would take that quote with a grain of salt. I know nothing about the kid but if I were a recruiting manager I'd be saying the same thing about everybody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke is a gun. Very reliable in the clinches also going on the game Vs. Country.
He's a great athelete i know but he hasnt proved a lot on the footy ground yet played good against vic country who must be rated weak didnt do much against tassie hasnt played nationals since u13's and goes ok at aps an ordinary comp.In saying that i am sure he will be a good player and he's great basketballer and all the rest of it but to say he is now is unfounded imo.

Sounds like another example of a player getting through on reputation from an inferior level of competition.It does sound like he has other athletic attributes but with limited footy achivements is it warranted that this type of athlete leap frogs footballers who have a long list of achievement in the game. Ask yourself this, how far would many other good footballers go if they had the same opportunities that are provided to the "athlete" or footballer with "potential"

AFL star Jason McCartney will give afl.com.au his thoughts on the players who caught his eye.
Here are his assessments after Victoria Metro defeated South Australia by 53 points at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

Victoria Metro:
"Jack Watts: Jack is a star. He’s one of our AIS boys and he’s also a very talented basketballer. He wanted to balance both footy and basketball through the scholarship program, but in the end he has chosen to go for football because his workload was just too great. He was a star in Vic Metro’s win Vic Country. He was a little bit quiet against Tasmania, but obviously very prominent against South Australia.
He kicked five goals, had 17 disposals and took three really big contested marks. He has great agility, great lateral movement and the ball just melts into his hands.

There has been a lot of talk about the WA boys and how talented they are, but Wattsy is a great kid and is right in that mix."

Sounds like the kid has potential. Maybe a bit of substance too.

Playing his first game of TAC cup on Saturday at Trevor Barker. Missed first couple with AIS commitments and has had school footy and Vic Metro since. Should be worth a look. His performances in the championships have been pretty amazing coming straight from school football, having never played a TAC cup game(to my knowledge), and missing last years 16's nationals with injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back