Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he actually suit the Saints? Is it not a treacle midfield with him and Steele together? I don't understand the appeal for Saints tbh.
We struggle to win the ball in the middle and get it out to our quick runners. Macrae would help with that a lot.

Also, if Crouch has to retire, Steele is our only consistent, AFL quality midfielder. Sinclair can go into the middle but prefers half back and as a side, we play better when he's at half back. Hunter Clark and Dow aren't exactly the types you can rely on, both in performance and to stay fit. Jones still hasn't got a contract for next year and his impressive month to end the season is just as likely to be a false dawn. Then that leaves us with kids - Windy, Phillipou, Garcia, maybe Owens, whoever we draft with 7 and hopefully 8. That's the worst midfield group in the comp. Macrae might be slow but who cares about his speed when that's the other options we are working with.

There’s no point keeping 30+ year old guys on massive contracts if they are hanging around your 18-26 spots in the team. The resources are better used elsewhere and bringing in some fresh talent in those roles.

You look at guys like Sanders & Garcia who weren’t even emergencies for the final and that’s where we start by being able to include those guys in the team more.

We don’t have a heap of delisting candidates this year. Off the list will probably just be Smith, Macrae, Keath, Bedendo & maybe JJ. It’s not a heap to move on.

I wasn't really talking about list spots, more spots in the 22. Dogs supporters get frustrated with Vandermeer, McNeil etc getting picked every week but if Macrae and Daniel leave, Sanders and West come in, you are still stuck with those sort of players.

Develop your own key forwards. This is why we need COLA.
He says unironically as Jesse Hogan wins a Coleman at GWS. Show me where you drafted Jesse.

Probably a chance to negotiate this up to something half reasonable if we take on a big chunk of the salary.
I think the cap space is worth more to the dogs than any pick. Their top end talent is already pretty pricey, with some elite young talent on the books already who’ll be looking for some fat extensions soon enough. Keeping that list together should be the priority.
Now, if they can just do something about the guy in the coaches box…

I wasn't really talking about list spots, more spots in the 22. Dogs supporters get frustrated with Vandermeer, McNeil etc getting picked every week but if Macrae and Daniel leave, Sanders and West come in, you are still stuck with those sort of players.
Given McNeil & VDM were playing consistently with & without Macrae & Daniel, it's clear we see them in very different positions. For the former two, those roles require players that play a selfless team based role focused on speed and pressure rather than ball winning ability & production.

I agree we need better players in the 22 than those two but Macrae & Daniel possibly leaving don't fix that. West should be back next year and hopefully Arthur Jones overtakes them. We should also target a small forward for a specific role (Owies etc.). We could see the following changes from the final and I don't think we really lose anything.

Out: Macrae, Daniel, VDM, McNeil
In: Sanders, Garcia, West, Jones

I’ve been hearing it’s already locked in and he will be at the saints next year, dogs happy to let him go, saints will pay his contract dogs won’t ask for a lot, he’s on about 750-800 for the next two years. Lots of good will (this is from pretty flimsy source, but have been decent in the past)

lol… let’s compare how many players we have “lured” back home to how many Geelong have over the last decade.
Sorry, point me to the trading rule where it has to be net equal.
All 18 clubs trade for players. Getting upset because someone you have is wanted only stands up of you don't trade guys in yourselves.

P.S. We do develop our own tall forwards. One is currently keeping a great of the game out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

\
All 18 clubs trade for players. Getting upset because someone you have is wanted only stands up of you don't trade guys in yourselves.

P.S. We do develop our own tall forwards. One is currently keeping a great of the game out of the side.

And if history repeats- in about 3 years the current GWS number 5 will replace the current Number 5 of the hoops

lol… he’s not keeping him out at all… Hawkins is cooked!
But answer my question… go through the names of players who have come back over the last decade because they are country Vics… you can start with Dangerfield and Cameron.
And then the players who move there because of the coastal lifestyle.
The reality is you’re only a competitive list because of your geographical location.

Given McNeil & VDM were playing consistently with & without Macrae & Daniel, it's clear we see them in very different positions. For the former two, those roles require players that play a selfless team based role focused on speed and pressure rather than ball winning ability & production.

I agree we need better players in the 22 than those two but Macrae & Daniel possibly leaving don't fix that. West should be back next year and hopefully Arthur Jones overtakes them. We should also target a small forward for a specific role (Owies etc.). We could see the following changes from the final and I don't think we really lose anything.

Out: Macrae, Daniel, VDM, McNeil
In: Sanders, Garcia, West, Jones

I’ve been hearing it’s already locked in and he will be at the saints next year, dogs happy to let him go, saints will pay his contract dogs won’t ask for a lot, he’s on about 750-800 for the next two years. Lots of good will (this is from pretty flimsy source, but have been decent in the past)
Given that I've heard that Macrae is on that sort of money for the third year, it sounds like Macrae is giving up some/all of his guaranteed money for that year to help facilitate the move

lol… he’s not keeping him out at all… Hawkins is cooked!
But answer my question… go through the names of players who have come back over the last decade because they are country Vics… you can start with Dangerfield and Cameron.
And then the players who move there because of the coastal lifestyle.
The reality is you’re only a competitive list because of your geographical location.
All I stated was we won't be handing over a high pick and therefore won't be likely where Macrae ends because we'll be looking to chase after other players in years to come. Somehow this got your knickers in a twist and rye as well.

How many we get, how we compile a list, how many we lose. All irrelevant noise.

maybe Geelong supporters flexing about how they're going to get every decent player in the league for a second rounder can be contained to the shitshow that is the Smith and Reid threads rather than derailing every topic in this forum

No way "asking a lot" is a first rounder. Could see it being a 2nd rounder for Macrae and a 3rd.
From what I’ve heard it’s around the 2nd round with minimum chips going back , again absolutely not firm as it’s like 3rd hand info . But it’s from someone who told me about the Lapinski to pies and Coffield to the dogs well before they were done.

From what I’ve heard it’s around the 2nd round with minimum chips going back , again absolutely not firm as it’s like 3rd hand info . But it’s from someone who told me about the Lapinski to pies and Coffield to the dogs well before they were done.
Just curious, as this person seems to have similar mail as I did regarding those players - whatever happened to Roarke Smith to Essendon? I thought that would happen but he was delisted never to be seen again.

Vandermeer and McNeill play completely different roles though to Macrae and Daniel.
Caleb seems happy to stay, Macrae will get to where he wants to, and probably cheaply too.

If it's the Saints, they have the cap room to take the whole contract and they get a guy who trains well and sets an example for not too much draft capital.

Bulldogs have to do something with their list, as for me they are the side that under achieved with the list they had.

I think this is a classic example of other teams supporters and the media in general overrating our list.

The forward line is stacked with talent but it's still a very young group. We also have some depth issues that the club needs to round out. We have a lot of random roleplayers in the side, a lot of them cheapies cast off by other clubs. There's still a lot of work to do.

I think we achieved about where we realistically should be this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back