Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's only a salary dump if we need to free up salary cap, which we don't. Macrae has said he wants to leave and Saints are keen on him despite the contract. Whilst I don't imagine we'll get a lot for him we will get something.
I agree that you’ll get something for him, but I don’t agree that you don’t need to free up cap space.

It would be appalling business to keep a guy who is fringe- and possibly slated to become even more fringe- on your books on over $800K, when you’ll need loads of cap space to re-sign Bont, Darcy and Richards (who might all get offers of well over $1million PA next year- Darcy’s might be nudging 2) and you’ll also want cap space free to target guys who play in all those positions you guys are telling us you’re deficient in.

Getting Macrae’s 2025 contract off your books now allows you to front-end some contracts for next year, so that you’ve got an extra $800K to play with in 12 months time.

No club in their right minds would rather be playing a fringe guy over $800K than having that money free to go and target guys who they see as actually being best 22, and who play in positions of current deficiency.

Macrae is not a salary dump He's requesting a leave to get playing time. The HS is a nothing article.
200.gif

I agree that you’ll get something for him, but I don’t agree that you don’t need to free up cap space.

It would be appalling business to keep a guy who is fringe- and possibly slated to become even more fringe- on your books on over $800K, when you’ll need loads of cap space to re-sign Bont, Darcy and Richards (who might all get offers of well over $1million PA next year- Darcy’s might be nudging 2) and you’ll also want cap space free to target guys who play in all those positions you guys are telling us you’re deficient in.

Getting Macrae’s 2025 contract off your books now allows you to front-end some contracts for next year, so that you’ve got an extra $800K to play with in 12 months time.

No club in their right minds would rather be playing a fringe guy over $800K than having that money free to go and target guys who they see as actually being best 22, and who play in positions of current deficiency.
Exactly

In 2020 WBD gave 1814 in points value and got 1687 back + Treloar

So effectively, they gave up something like pick 60 for Treloar to take half of his contract

Why is this so hard to understand

It's only a salary dump if we need to free up salary cap, which we don't. Macrae has said he wants to leave and Saints are keen on him despite the contract. Whilst I don't imagine we'll get a lot for him we will get something.
Just because we don't need to free up salary cap like Pies did when they handed us Treloar (in the literal sense that we'd otherwise be over the salary cap), doesn't meant that there isn't significant benefit to getting freeing up the room in the first place. Even at worst, we renegotiate some long-term contracts to front-load them, and go into future years with more cap room than expected - which is at worst, and still clearly of benefit.

We can leverage the fact that we can afford to keep Macrae into slightly better draft picks as part of the trade - clearly the trade isn't going to be for a nominal third-round pick or whatever and we will get something meaningful (an upgrade from 32 to 24 like many have suggested is an obvious starting point), but to say that we also wouldn't benefit is the point. It's still a worse trade pick than what Macrae would get from the Saints, holding all else equal, if his new contract was a normal two-year deal for say 500k a year - it would probably be Macrae + F3 for pick 24.

I didn't think the Saints will have 24 on the table at all.
This trade seems more opportunistic than strategic. I wouldn't be surprised is we ask for a current & future 3rd and we end up with a 2024 3rd and some extra points next year for FS bids.

Article in the HS today saying he’s on over $800K for each of the next two years.

Unless WB pay some of it, this will be a salary dump.

Darcy, Bont and Richards OOC next year and two of them will be getting enormous pay rises. They’re going to want that $1.6mil+ in particular off their books ASAP.

View attachment 2113955
Like you've said, you don't even need this to be a tight cap though, just not paying a guy borderline best 22, top 5 player wages. Seems like it will be a win for all parties and will be done with no fuss.

It is crazy how quick a player value can drop though.

Last edited:
Like you've said, you don't even need this to be a tight cap though, just not paying a guy borderline best 22, top 5 playrt wages. Seems like it will be a win for all parties and will be done with bo fuss.

It is crazy how quick a player value can drop though.
We were caught undone a bit with the evolution of the game over the last 3 years in that pacy players in midfield is more important than it ever was before. When we signed Macrae to his lengthy deal in 2022, we didn't know that being slow would be such a weakness for Macrae (it always was) in its importance by the 2024-2027 period.

Nice pitch Mr List Manager

I didn't think the Saints will have 24 on the table at all.
This trade seems more opportunistic than strategic. I wouldn't be surprised is we ask for a current & future 3rd and we end up with a 2024 3rd and some extra points next year for FS bids.

not at $800k

I think this is one of those trades that defies Bigfooty generic logic on wage/pick value

In this case the higher the wage taken on, the lesser pick on offer.

At full take on of wage this is a 3rd rounder. At $400k, maybe a 2nd rounder.

You're putting way too much store in the AFL media here, aussie...

Unless you are actually Tom Browne :sunglasses:

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back