Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn is trying to honour its in principle commitment to him to take him and also give GC fair compensation. If GC wont deal then I suppose he goes to the ND and we use pick 10 but GC gets nothing. Would you be happy for Essendon to use pick 1 in the ND to get him?
Hell no. Without his injury history, yes.

The real question is, is JOM willing to risk the chance of being picked up by another club (possibly from outside of Vic) by entering the ND? Is Hawthorn really that clear a choice over Essendon, a fellow Melbourne club that he met with multiple times and did a medical with and can pay him whatever he wants?

Hawthorn are a 90% chance to get a trade done, but it will be very interesting if they don't.

If he's fit, that is where the risk comes in. And does that risk affect the value of a player? I would think so

Adam Treloar is a good comparison. At their best JOM and Treloar probably have similar value. Treloar went for a first round current year pick and a future first round pick. Now Treloar was fit and firing when traded. JOM has not played for 2 years. Therefore JOM trade value must be less than Treloar? So would a first round this year and 2nd round next year be fair? I would think so

Although pick 14 for Tom Mitchell. Would you argue he is as good a player as JOM. So maybe that should be the trade value?
Why would the Hawks offer such a massive contract if they don't think his knee will hold up?

As a Pies fan, there are only 5 young mids I would give up almost anything for in the comp. In rough order Bonts, JOM (if fit), Heeney, Treloar (biased) and Cripps.

Hence i can see where the Suns are coming from.

If he's fit, that is where the risk comes in. And does that risk affect the value of a player? I would think so

Adam Treloar is a good comparison. At their best JOM and Treloar probably have similar value. Treloar went for a first round current year pick and a future first round pick. Now Treloar was fit and firing when traded. JOM has not played for 2 years. Therefore JOM trade value must be less than Treloar? So would a first round this year and 2nd round next year be fair? I would think so

Although pick 14 for Tom Mitchell. Would you argue he is as good a player as JOM. So maybe that should be the trade value?
2 years isn't that bad when you consider the last one was a clean up and both the Hawks and Jaeger believe they can get him back on the park
Dan Menzel and Clay Smith came back from longer stints. Smith was critical in the dogs finals campaign too.

if Jaeger was 26, maybe you downgrade his value
At 22 and given his levels of talent, he is worth is high. And since you are chasing GCS' player and they dont seem to care if he does go to the draft, they can set the terms

there are 9 spots ahead of you in the draft and 13 in the PSD.
Any club would draft him, he'd have to play, and then they can trade him, or he stays.
Is he worth Pick 1? of course he is. He has shown at AFL level he can be elite. McGrath and McCluggage haven't.

Why would the Hawks offer such a massive contract if they don't think his knee will hold up?
Because they had to at least match what the GC are offering. How do we even know what the Hawks are offering him? is that public info?

As a Pies fan, there are only 5 young mids I would give up almost anything for in the comp. In rough order Bonts, JOM (if fit), Heeney, Treloar (biased) and Cripps.

Hence i can see where the Suns are coming from.
Does that (If Fit) in your statement affect trade value?

Ah now we get to the "you'll be closed down by the AFL" insults, I wonder is not getting what you want with O'Meara pissing you off this much? Cos god the Hawks fans are even more insufferable then usual when they can't get their favourite toy.
dont mention the nearly merger either...

Because they had to at least match what the GC are offering. How do we even know what the Hawks are offering him? is that public info?
Yes but you don't offer that much money in some sort of half hope his knee is ok. Unless you have gone completely mad. You as a Hawks fan are happy to pay him millions of dollars to play for you but draw the line at giving the Suns what they ask?

2 years isn't that bad when you consider the last one was a clean up and both the Hawks and Jaeger believe they can get him back on the park
Dan Menzel and Clay Smith came back from longer stints. Smith was critical in the dogs finals campaign too.

if Jaeger was 26, maybe you downgrade his value
At 22 and given his levels of talent, he is worth is high. And since you are chasing GCS' player and they dont seem to care if he does go to the draft, they can set the terms

there are 9 spots ahead of you in the draft and 13 in the PSD.
Any club would draft him, he'd have to play, and then they can trade him, or he stays.
Is he worth Pick 1? of course he is. He has shown at AFL level he can be elite. McGrath and McCluggage haven't.
Do levels of risk in the future affect trade value? Or course they do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but you don't offer that much money in some sort of half hope his knee is ok. Unless you have gone completely mad. You as a Hawks fan are happy to pay him millions of dollars to play for you but draw the line at giving the Suns what they ask?
Well if they didnt offer what other clubs were he wasnt going to choose Hawthorn was he? Under your logic Chris Mayne on 550k a year must be as good a player as Tom Mitchell

I did. I said no way in hell Essendon uses pick 1 on JOM but wouldnt think twice for Bont Heeney and Cripps.

He made a ridiculous comment and was called on it.
i wouldnt be opposed to using 1 on JOM.
that said, if i were the club, id be talking to him and telling him he is coming to us one way or another. If you pick the PSD, you get to play in an even better team....
JOM is a proven AFL 22yo kid with elite talent. McGrath/McCluggage are prospective kids. Wouldnt be the first ones to not live up to the top pick tag (Morton, Tambling)

They also refused to take a trade offer.

That's true, but I'm from the school of thought where clubs should be incentivised to keep the players (especially superstars) they draft, like in the NBA where teams can exceed the salary cap to sign players they have drafted.

Otherwise may as well do away with the draft and have an NRL style free for all.

Hell no. Without his injury history, yes.

The real question is, is JOM willing to risk the chance of being picked up by another club (possibly from outside of Vic) by entering the ND? Is Hawthorn really that clear a choice over Essendon, a fellow Melbourne club that he met with multiple times and did a medical with and can pay him whatever he wants?

Hawthorn are a 90% chance to get a trade done, but it will be very interesting if they don't.

You're assuming that Essendon is offering more than what Hawks are now? What picks and players have the Dons offered up to the GC to get the deal done?

If he goes into the ND then who's going to pick him up before pick 10?
  1. Essendon
  2. GWS
  3. Brisbane
  4. Gold Coast
  5. Carlton
  6. Richmond
  7. Fremantle
  8. Gold Coast
  9. Port Adelaide
  10. Hawthorn
Any interstate teams won't try for him.
That leaves
#1 Essendon
#5 Carlton
#6 Richmond
#10 Hawthorn

Gonna assume Richmond trades pick 6 to get Prestia
Essendon wouldn't run the risk with pick 1

This leaves Hawthorn and carlton
Carlton #5
Hawthorn #10

Doubt Carlton take the punt on someone who doesn't want to be there with Pick #5

So
Would let Richmond keep pick 6 just to see him in a Tigs uniform with a pout on his face

If any of those players are happy to go up here, Suns are having a bit of a laugh. I do watch a lot of Hawks games and they are 3 individually good players for Suns.

No idea what you are talking about. Do you think you have 1.5mio in your cap after T Mitchell and Vickery?
You said 1.5m cap space after Mitchell and Vickery, So Lewis and Mitchell mustve been on a mill each. I have no idea what cap space we have left but after the paycuts this year it was reported we could fit mitchell jaeger and vickery under the cap losing only hill. So im guessing Mitchell and Lewis filled up 1m+ of cap space

Well if they didnt offer what other clubs were he wasnt going to choose Hawthorn was he? Under your logic Chris Mayne on 550k a year must be as good a player as Tom Mitchell
No I'm saying your club obviously values him at that rate and everyone else agrees with it, so why complain when you are asked to offer something that is of the same value to trade for him. He's 22 for god's sake its not like he's old and coming off multiple injuries, the club obviously believes his knee will be fine so I don't get why you're mad when GC ask for what they deem fair value for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back