Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it be that Essendon (Dodoro) said they will not make a play for Talia and therefore Sydney has an easy trade with the Doggies?

Going forward I expect the Northern States (and mostly sydney while the others are down the order) to be mediator in more trades in the future.

What it shows is that they should move to a full points system whereby after trade period you use the points you have acquired to bid for picks.

The points system for Academy picks means that the Northern States are going to be much more fluent in the future with their picks. It doesn't matter that they lose 14, because they gained 23 and 44 and are going to use them to pick up a top 10 pick. Obviously they have more to gain from having Bird off their list than on it. Sometimes players just go for cheap.

Going forward I expect the Northern States (and mostly sydney while the others are down the order) to be mediator in more trades in the future.
Only a difference of 16 points which makes no difference for academy bids, plus the Swans lost a decent player. Really confusing trade by Sydney

Deal done! St Kilda and Essendon have both done well. Shit fight continues!

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
St. Kilda fans aren't satisfied with getting a good deal if Essendon didn't get reamed.

Sydney really have lost the plot.

Essentially, it is pick 44 for Bird and pick 23... for 14?

St Kilda and Essendon ran away with this one.

Yeah. something doesn't seem right. More to come?

Think its just a case of the Swans shrewdly trading later into the draft to allow for Mills and Dunkley to go there. Bird was surplus to the Swans needs, even more so with the imminent arrival of Mills, and open to moving away for better opportunities. Will put pressure on Essendon's group of current midfielders to perform.

Essendon and the Saints seem like the big winners still but Tom Harley and the Swans aren't making this trade blind sided to the benefits for Sydney

It's probably just conspiracy theory at the moment but it does potentially give the Northern clubs a massive "veto" power in trades in the future. If swapping pick 14 for 23 makes no difference to Sydney you can see a situation where they could use that power to influence trade deals between other clubs.

Maybe they did have an interest in not letting Carlisle get to a currently contending club.

Didn't make it up. There has long been gossip about what others within the industry think of Dodoro.
Fair enough he has his no-budge style, and it can give you a good result in cases like this, but when you see other clubs do "mates deals" sometimes , don't go expecting something similar.

Mates deals like the Milkshake deal?

Why would the Swans do that deal? 16 points for Bird? Clearly the points system is off if it values 23 + 44 as worth slightly more than 14. But even with the very slight points upgrade, I'm not sure why Sydney would involve themselves in this trade. Fishy.

Glad Hawthorn aren't giving up 15 + 18 for Carlisle, though.
You would think it must be the need to shed $ plus stop Hawks factor, making an otherwise neutral deal worthy for them. May have nought to do with promises/tampering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't make it up. There has long been gossip about what others within the industry think of Dodoro.
Fair enough he has his no-budge style, and it can give you a good result in cases like this, but when you see other clubs do "mates deals" sometimes , don't go expecting something similar.
Like the Melksham, Monfries, Giles x2, Chapman, Cooney and Edwards + Aylett deals that have happened in the past few years?

Mates deals like sending us Bird for nothing?

If we want to talk professionalism, wtf was up with Dodoro's swipe at St Kilda ('I want to acknowledge the Hawthorn football club for their professionalism. I actually thought up until 2pm yesterday he was going to the Hawks to be honest') as reported in The Age?

Deals done. Just move on, the comment seemed pointless and petty.

Think its just a case of the Swans shrewdly trading later into the draft to allow for Mills and Dunkley to go there. Bird was surplus to the Swans needs, even more so with the imminent arrival of Mills, and open to moving away for better opportunities. Will put pressure on Essendon's group of current midfielders to perform.

Essendon and the Saints seem like the big winners still but Tom Harley and the Swans aren't making this trade blind sided to the benefits for Sydney

Thats great logic and all, but our net gain was 17 points, 17 points on the scale is pick 72.

Surely we could have simply traded Bird outright for a better pick than 72...

Everyone says swans 0/10 but after the draft they will have Mills who is a better rated talent then any of the players essendon or saints will draft and they will get a father son in Dunkley who they will probably get at pick 44 and he is rated as a top 20 talent. So as bad on paper it looks for Sydney they are in complete control of what they are doing.

Glad it's finally done and kudos to the Swans for getting involved along with Bird even if they aren't the greatest beneficiaries of the deal.

Saints get Carlisle, still hold a first round pick and someone like Keiran Collins (if they are still interested) is a chance to be available.

Bombers get the compensation they demanded for Carlisle all along and still hold onto there high second round pick (24 and 25).

Swans trade later into the draft thus giving them the points needed to secure Mills and Dunkley while finding a new home for Bird. My personal thoughts are Dunkley should enter the National Draft but if he does chose to go to Sydney they have the points to pick him

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back