Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

-would be disappointed if Lever ends up at Collingwood.
Why would we use a #6 draft pick and a big slab of salary cap space on a player that doesn't cover any of our major deficiencies.
We don't need another 3rd defender/intercept mark -it's not an area of weakness.
We need a key forward, a key back, a speedy rebounding defender and a quick clever small forward.

Considering what he is being offered from a salary point of view from opposition clubs, that's about right.
The salary argument is garbage. Prestia was offered more than we gave Treloar and Richmond paid pick 6. Salary has an impact, but it's not the only factor in trade value.

That seems pretty high and I'm a Lever fan. Pick 6 alone would be a good return for us given that the's uncontracted.
Carlisle netted us 5 plus change.
Both are quality intercept defenders.

6, CFC 2nd for Lever AFC 2nd probably works out.

Carlisle netted us 5 plus change.
Both are quality intercept defenders.

6, CFC 2nd for Lever AFC 2nd probably works out.
You gave back like pick 15 or something in that trade though too didn't you? Can't remember the details exactly, it was a 3 way with Sydney wasn't it?

-would be disappointed if Lever ends up at Collingwood.
Why would we use a #6 draft pick and a big slab of salary cap space on a player that doesn't cover any of our major deficiencies.
We don't need another 3rd defender/intercept mark -it's not an area of weakness.
We need a key forward, a key back, a speedy rebounding defender and a quick clever small forward.
I would have thought Collingwood fans would realise that trying to trade now for the exact type of players you are looking for usually fails. You need to develop players and a list. Which is why, as previously mentioned, that there is huge interest in Lever. Plays the intercept defender role very well now, but is destined to be one of the best Key Position Defenders in the league. Which is why he was compared to Rance so often this year. And Rance has just been announced as the All Australian captain. Lever is 21 and would be just be hitting his straps in a few years which would likely co-incide with Collingwood's next push for a flag. As for the other players you need, elite key forwards dont grow on trees. It would be a huge mistake for you guys to overpay Casboult or someone like that. If Buckley is feeling pressure to play finals next year, regardless of the fact he has a 2 year deal, they may do something like that. I think it would be a mistake. You will likely have the quick, clever small forward type covered in spades with Brown and Daicos. As for rebounding defender, they aren't real hard to find.

You gave back like pick 15 or something in that trade though too didn't you? Can't remember the details exactly, it was a 3 way with Sydney wasn't it?

So;
Bombers lost Carlisle, 2nd & 3rd
Got 5, Bird and St Kilda 2nd

Saints lost 1st & 2nd
Gained Carlisle and Sydney 1st

Swans lost Bird & 1st
Gained EFC 2nd & 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, its wrong !!
I did mention it was a 3 way. Either way, St Kilda gave up 5 and 24 and walked away with Carlisle and 14. That's a hell of a lot more desirable than giving away 6 and a player who is incredibly likely to be worth a first round pick himself in the space of the next 12 months.

St Kilda in = Carlisle + pick 14
St Kilda out = pick 5 + 24

Are you saying that this is incorrect?
Do you bother reading other posts in this thread ??
In case you missed it. It was a 3 way trade.

Saints lost 1st & 2nd

Swans lost Bird & 1st
Gained EFC 2nd & 3rd.

I also posted a link that described it in full. Try reading other posts, you might learn something.

Saints lost 1st & 2nd

Swans lost Bird & 1st
Gained EFC 2nd & 3rd.

I also posted a link that described it in full. Try reading other posts, you might learn something.
He knows that peanut. What St Kilda gave away and gained is the topic here, and he's absolutely correct that the saints gave 5 + 24 and received Carlisle and 14. The rest is incidental.

He knows that peanut. What St Kilda gave away and gained is the topic here, and he's absolutely correct that the saints gave 5 + 24 and received Carlisle and 14. The rest is incidental.
My point was that Sydney were instrumental in the deal actually being done. It wouldn't have been done otherwise. It was a stalemate, and Sydney came to save the day on that one. So it makes the deal look better for St Kilda. Sydney wanted their academy players.

Saints lost 1st (pick 5) & 2nd (pick 24)
Gained Carlisle and Sydney 1st (pick 14)

Swans lost Bird & 1st
Gained EFC 2nd & 3rd.

Certainly living up to your name :rolleyes:

I would have thought Collingwood fans would realise that trying to trade now for the exact type of players you are looking for usually fails. You need to develop players and a list. Which is why, as previously mentioned, that there is huge interest in Lever. Plays the intercept defender role very well now, but is destined to be one of the best Key Position Defenders in the league.
...hard to argue with destiny o_O

As for the other players you need, elite key forwards dont grow on trees. It would be a huge mistake for you guys to overpay Casboult or someone like that. If Buckley is feeling pressure to play finals next year, regardless of the fact he has a 2 year deal, they may do something like that.
I agree. It looks like Casboult is staying at Carlton anyway.
Collingwood need to raise their eyes higher. Landing Lynch from Gold Coast or Schache from Brisbane should be a much higher priority than Lever. We don't need Lever at the price Adelaide will be asking. Best we look elsewhere.

I think it would be a mistake. You will likely have the quick, clever small forward type covered in spades with Brown and Daicos. As for rebounding defender, they aren't real hard to find.
Brown is definitely small, but not quick or clever. Not sure if he will make it. Daicos is more likely.
Please suggest a good rebounding defender -they are harder to find than you suggest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back