Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Peaked in 2015. Believed the hype and thought natural talent alone would be enough.

Poor work ethic which results in a lack of conditioning and propensity to injury.

To be fair though, the horrific broken leg that he suffered prior to be drafted has also contributed significantly to being injury prone as well.

Reminds me of Phil Carman - could have been anything but took the easy road.

Has become par for the course that he's either out or not conditioned in rd 1, and takes 2-3 afl games to get going, plays like a world beater, then gets injured before the cycle is repeated later in the season.

We've had one decent season from him. Much like the dogs did. Was stiff not to get AA in '21 but missed a chunk. When he played, was top 3 in the comp. Merrett and parish owe a couple of AA jackets to him.

At this stage, id be lining him in the vfl until he is 110% ready for AFL.
We're already carrying one passenger in Heppell that we can't afford. Add a 2nd in Weideman, and how you can justify a 3rd in stringer because "talent" is beyond me

Selections cost us 4pts last night
Just to digress very quickly, how is Weidemann going?

My god, you say it's not really an issue, but here you are defending him, he is lazy, he gets injured all the time because of that laziness.

It's both his fault and the clubs fault for playing him unfit.

No, he doesn’t get injured because he’s lazy, that’s just stupid.

As I said, his days of laziness are behind him I think. He really has had bad luck with injury.

I say it’s not actually that big an issue because he gets the attention that a superstar does. It’s nice when he occasionally plays like that, but he’s not on superstar money and he didn’t cost us a kings ransom to trade in. So it’s not really the massive issue some people make it out to be.

As I said, his days of laziness are behind him I think. He really has had bad luck with injury.

I say it’s not actually that big an issue because he gets the attention that a superstar does. It’s nice when he occasionally plays like that, but he’s not on superstar money and he didn’t cost us a kings ransom to trade in. So it’s not really the massive issue some people make it out to be.
Yeah ok, it's just bad luck that he comes back fat and the club plays him.

That's why he's injured all the time, that's just stupid.

There is a different calculus for neutral fans as opposed to Bomber fans.

Neutral fans want him to be what he could be - which he is not - so he is disappointing.

For Bombers fans as you say they didn't pay heaps for him so he probably delivers to that. A player who makes a difference in a few games each year.

If Brian Taylor hadn't made this bloke out to be more than he is then his career may well have been very different.
Eh, BT might have overhyped him but in 2015 he kicked 50+ goals as a medium sized forward and was genuinely dynamic.

He’s never seemed like he’s in good enough shape or trained hard enough to improve significantly.

If Brian Taylor hadn't made this bloke out to be more than he is then his career may well have been very different.

Yes BT calling him the package is where it all went wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt it.

Everyone would have just had realistic expectations on his actual ability.

He'd be considered an average footballer, as opposed to an underachieving legend of the game.

The former of course, is where the truth lies.

BT has got to be the most frustratingly incompetent person broadcasting sport in its history.

Not to derail this great thread but I actually don’t mind him. He is if nothing, consistent.

He'd probably be a great player in a dominant team, where others could do all the dirty work and he could be the pure cream on top.
But that isn't really a "great player", is it?

If I think of truly great players who fit your description... Players who let their teammates do the dirty work - the chasing & tackling, the hard running back to defence after a turnover... the smothers, one-percenters, and all the shepherds & blocks around the stoppages which helped them shine as a ball-getting attacking weapons... I think of great players like Dustin Martin, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett jr, Nat Fyfe, and Patrick Dangerfield.

These great players excelled even when their team struggled. They weren't just the "cream on top" of a good team.

Stringer has a lot of talent. He's a pretty big unit. Powerful. He does some incredible things and occasionally looks awesome. Now and then he plays the odd blinder. But he just doesn't have the mental application or the drive to be a consistently great player.

Not many do. That's partly what makes the great players so great.

To go back to your point... I think people always place too much importance on the strength of a team when judging individual players. People on here always theorise how good players in dominant teams wouldn't be as good in shitty teams... They'd get "found out".. Or that good players in shitty teams would be even better in a dominant team.

I beg to differ. I reckon they are the same player and would be just as effective. The player you see in the good team is exactly what you get in the shitty team, and vice-versa.

Some examples from my own team: when Hawthorn declined after 2016, many people on here said that our second-tier stars such as Luke Breust, Jack Gunston and Isaac Smith would get "found out". Bollocks! They were gun players in the premiership teams and they remained gun players. No different, even as the team slid right down the ladder.

Ben Brown... a serviceable full forward who kicked the occasional bag of goals for a struggling North Melbourne team. A serviceable full forward who kicks the occasional bag of goals for a dominant Melbourne team. No different.

Last edited:
I remember when one of those commentators (may have been Brian Taylor) mentioned him in the same breath as Gary Ablett Snr.
Bit of expectation placed on the young kid at the time.

He has never looked fit enough and I honestly don't believe he knows his limitations as he often demands the ball be kicked in his direction when one on one. He's never been a good enough mark to win those duels consistently. It's probably why his teammates ignore him so often.

My god, you say it's not really an issue, but here you are defending him, he is lazy, he gets injured all the time because of that laziness.

It's both his fault and the clubs fault for playing him unfit.
I agree. Why's he injury prone? Sure, it could be bad luck but clubs are pretty good at managing that stuff these days. Or is it because he comes back from the off-season in poor shape, starts chasing hard to catch, leads to an injury, more catch-up, gets selected when unfit, doesn't really perform but thinks it's ok because he's back playing seniors, possibly doesn't do the right things from that point on in terms of recovery and training, then gets injured again.

Rinse and repeat.

Turns 29 this month. Has a contract for this year and next. Might not see him after that.

He cops a few calf strains and soft tissue injuries and that is sometimes due to carrying more upper body weight than preferred.

I'm very surprised he's currently listed at weighing in at 92kg on the Essendon website.
He does not look that light to me. He has big strong legs and thick torso. He runs like someone closer to 100kg's.

Not dedicated, too busy putting bets on with his bookie than trying his damndest to rehab his injury.
Has a GF medallion, playing for money, no personal pride in himself to do hard work. I’d trade / delist him, even if we have to take a salary hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back