Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of people saying Stringer is injury prone, which certainly has merit. But one thing I always thought when he was at the Dogs, was he did seem to have an extremely low pain tolerance.
I’d see him regularly come off and you’d think it’s night over, only for him to resurface 10 minutes later.
He probably misses a few games a season with issues that other players probably play through.

But to answer the thread, no not the biggest flop.

A genuinely gun AA year in 2015. A powerful influential year in 2021. Flag in 2016.

Do you even remember the likes of Lucas Cook, Sam Petrevski-Seton & Jesse Lonergan?

Stringer will never look trim just have to accept thats how he is have to look at what he can do rather then can't do.
People think looking trim is more exercise. It's 90% food/sleep.

Go look at his 2015 photos. He was built like a god.

But to answer the thread, no not the biggest flop.

A genuinely gun AA year in 2015. A powerful influential year in 2021. Flag in 2016.

Do you even remember the likes of Lucas Cook, Sam Petrevski-Seton & Jesse Lonergan?
He's 2015 season was good.

I'd never been more excited to see a player every week. Naturally more gifted than the Bont.

After that it was downhill.

Reminds me a little of Daniel Wells, lots of natural talent but not prepared to follow the conditioning requirements and gets reinjured all the time because of it.

Yeah ok, it's just bad luck that he comes back fat and the club plays him.

That's why he's injured all the time, that's just stupid.

He doesn’t come back fat. He has at times in past, but that’s behind him. But he has the tag so it’s a simple clickbait grabber for the media. He’s not built like a marathon runner so it’s simple to flick thru 1000 matchday photos and find one where he looks thick.

Of course it’s the clubs fault for generally bringing him back too early. Who is arguing that?

Some blokes have an elite base of fitness and hit the deck flying first-up. He doesn’t have that natural basis of fitness, he had a very bad injury pre-draft and he generally deals with at least 1-2 injuries per year so it’s pretty hard to build properly. He was never actually taught how to run and build endurance until he got to Essendon and started training with an athletics coach. He said it himself in an in-depth interview. That sort of thing takes a few pre-seasons to build. He never did it pre AFL, due to injury, and he never did high running loads at the Bulldogs. He never even had his running gait fixed after his leg break. Some freakish natural abilities and a freak single season masked his issues I’d assume.

You wonder if all the injuries have affected how he trains and prepares. Rather then pushing himself and getting another injury, he might be only pushing to the point where he feels he won't reinjure himself and stopping. This leaves him underdone.
There a quite a few players who have done a knee and never attack the ball in the same way afterwards for fear of reinjuring it.

Not the biggest flop, perhaps someone who never reached their full potential.

Even when he is playing well he is incredibly selfish and his first thought is to have a shot at goal even when he is totally out of position. He burns his own players multiple times a game even when he gets the ball.
This is besides his injury problems and that he goes missing in games all the time. You guys need to look at his grand final game where he might have played the worst game i have ever seen and I have seen Leon Davis and Derek Shaw not get possessions in grand finals!

I've still never been as excited about a draft pick as I was about this guy. Genuinely felt like Xmas morning that draft day.

Not sure why he's unable to trim down, but I've always thought he's playing about 10kgs too heavy since his switch to the Bombers. Body just breaks down under all that mass.

As much as I hate seeing him play well for Essendon I hope he can get his body right, when he's fit and firing there's not many better to watch in the AFL.

He cops a few calf strains and soft tissue injuries and that is sometimes due to carrying more upper body weight than preferred.

I'm very surprised he's currently listed at weighing in at 92kg on the Essendon website.
He does not look that light to me. He has big strong legs and thick torso. He runs like someone closer to 100kg's.

That means he is listed as lighter than Gary Rohan.
el-risitas-juan-joya-borja.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think flop is the word as he has enough credentials to retire a very accomplished AFL player.

I get the jist of the thread as he could’ve been so much more, but I don’t know what the word is that I’d use to describe someone who is accomplished but not as accomplished as they could’ve been.

Flop in terms of expectations - yes
Flop on terms of draft position - no

I think a premiership medallion and one AA is above par for pick 5.

Was always lazy at the dogs - Cooney, Higgins high draft pick, high talent ceiling, low application syndrome.

We have been a rabble for two decades. J.Stringer has given us quite a bit of joy in the time he’s been with us, so yes, I’m saying be patient.
I wrote one of those posts that could go either way depending how you read it. We're on the same page. Stringer should play more vfl until he's cherry to come into the afl.

You’re all lying, pathetic imbeciles.

You’d hacksaw off a lower limb to have him in your forward line.

He’s a super star. A juggernaut of immense power and agility.

He will soon return to his rightful place on the throne as King of Football.

Get out of his way ..

If Brian Taylor hadn't made this bloke out to be more than he is then his career may well have been very different.
Kicked 56 goals and pinch hit in the midfield to show his ability in his third season.

It's just he was expected to improve but he's more or less the same player still, though he hasn't matched that goal tally since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back