Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's 2015 season was good.

I'd never been more excited to see a player every week. Naturally more gifted than the Bont.

After that it was downhill.
No way is he naturally more gifted overall than Bont. I think people confuse his burst power and occasional ability to roost the ball 60m for “natural talent”. He’s not particularly good overhead and at other times he struggles to make it spin backward properly. He’s by no means bad in traffic but not a star of the competition level.

He had a cracking season in 2015 when opposition coaches thought you needed to play a KPD on him just because he’s 192cm and he’d burn the tall blokes when the ball hit the ground. Then Dane Rampe took him to the cleaners, coaches stopped playing lumbering tall backs on him and he wasn’t the same player.

In his draft year he was literally "off the charts" for power to weight ratio.
He's basically a dragster trying to race in an endurance event. He could actually be the best 'sub' in the game as he breaks down too easily if playing too many minutes but for short bursts can really change a game.

I don't envy Essendon fans as Stringer is freakishly talented but you only ever get to see it in bursts of a few minutes at a time. The most frustrating type of player to watch.

But to answer the thread, no not the biggest flop.

A genuinely gun AA year in 2015. A powerful influential year in 2021. Flag in 2016.

Do you even remember the likes of Lucas Cook, Sam Petrevski-Seton & Jesse Lonergan?
of course because I'm the sort of loser who posts here. SPS still playing for WC and wasn't bad on the weekend

He's basically a dragster trying to race in an endurance event. He could actually be the best 'sub' in the game as he breaks down too easily if playing too many minutes but for short bursts can really change a game.

I don't envy Essendon fans as Stringer is freakishly talented but you only ever get to see it in bursts of a few minutes at a time. The most frustrating type of player to watch.

Structurally hard to fit in, not a great pressure player or overhead mark, not quite a small or a tall, whereas usually mediums can at least do one of those things well.

Can turn a game in 5 minutes like few players can, so when he's available he's hard to leave out. His form at the back end of 2021 playing that 'striker' role was huge. His best is up there with the best players in the AFL, his worst is well... bad.

Structurally hard to fit in, not a great pressure player or overhead mark, not quite a small or a tall, whereas usually mediums can at least do one of those things well.

Can turn a game in 5 minutes like few players can, so when he's available he's hard to leave out. His form at the back end of 2021 playing that 'striker' role was huge. His best is up there with the best players in the AFL, his worst is well... bad.

Part of that "in between" thing too affected his development as a player, I don't think most of his coaches have really known what best to do with him.

I think early on he was basically developed as a key forward, which he really isn't. He got under the opposition's guard for a year or two there and looked brilliant, but long-term it wasn't his go.

Rutten probably nailed it in 2021, but his injury issues mean he struggles to build and maintain the tank for that "front half midfielder" role.

The prototype for that role is Dusty... well Dusty was pegged as a midfielder from the day he was drafted and developed as such - Richmond just worked out that he was best deployed in the front half because he's so damaging. But he'd already built a midfielder's endurance.

Part of that "in between" thing too affected his development as a player, I don't think most of his coaches have really known what best to do with him.

I think early on he was basically developed as a key forward, which he really isn't. He got under the opposition's guard for a year or two there and looked brilliant, but long-term it wasn't his go.

Rutten probably nailed it in 2021, but his injury issues mean he struggles to build and maintain the tank for that "front half midfielder" role.

The prototype for that role is Dusty... well Dusty was pegged as a midfielder from the day he was drafted and developed as such - Richmond just worked out that he was best deployed in the front half because he's so damaging. But he'd already built a midfielder's endurance.

Stringer had a very bad lower leg break as well, some speculation I've read is that it's messed with his running gait and (in part) why he breaks down beyond a certain level of running, which has happened every time we've tried to give him a preseason as a midfielder. Undoubtedly he could be more professional in his approach as well.

Plenty of talent, probably hasn't made the most of it but also not the biggest flop given he's going to end his career with at least 1 x Premiership, 1 x AA, and 6 x club leading goal kicker awards.

He is ridiculously strong, a freak power athlete. From what I know he is the strongest player at Essendon and he does so with very little effort. They reckon he breaks down because he is not conditioned enough to handle the force he can produce.

However, he is pretty fit right now. Not super fit but he was considered AFL ready last week and intentionally overlooked for selection regardless.

I really hope he can put it together for a whole season. His best is top shelf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is ridiculously strong, a freak power athlete. From what I know he is the strongest player at Essendon and he does so with very little effort. They reckon he breaks down because he is not conditioned enough to handle the force he can produce.

However, he is pretty fit right now. Not super fit but he was considered AFL ready last week and intentionally overlooked for selection regardless.

I really hope he can put it together for a whole season. His best is top shelf.

If the penny was ever going to drop you would have assume it to be this preseason. The fact he obviously did not commit himself to the rigors of excessive exercise & diet, and came back in no different shape to what he exited last season speaks volumes.

It seems as though the ship has sailed for Stringer. He's had a better career than most. I think we can expect the same over the next few years. There likely won't be any peak of consistency in his footy.

Compare him to another guy who was traveling along a similar path only 2-3 years ago in Jordan De Goey, it's sad to see what might have been.
De Goey is now one of the premiere players of the competition. Running over the top of taggers and a complete footballer.

Since you posed the question in the OP, I nominate Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood to be included in the conversation

Eric Hipwood is certainly in the discussion.

if only there was a sub rule.....

Dragged the dogs into the 2015 finals by winning several games off his own boot. One of the most dangerous players in the game heading into 2016, where he was okay but never got close to that 3rd season dominance again.

He’s mainly looked too heavy since then, especially in the last 5 years.

When is he contracted to? The bloke should never be on more than a 1 year rolling contract. Obviously he would never sign to that but he's obviously one of those blokes who can't be trusted to maintain a good fitness base whilst injured. Some players are more professional than others. He's on the "Unprofessional" end of the spectrum.

When is he contracted to? The bloke should never be on more than a 1 year rolling contract. Obviously he would never sign to that but he's obviously one of those blokes who can't be trusted to maintain a good fitness base whilst injured. Some players are more professional than others. He's on the "Unprofessional" end of the spectrum.

Every year needs to be a contract year for Jake

Since you posed the question in the OP, I nominate Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood to be included in the conversation
Stringer may not have quite fulfilled his potential, but isn't a dud selection for Bulldogs.
How affected is he by that broken leg in his draft year? Or does he use that as an excuse to not train hard? Or does he just eat too much junk food?
Maybe none of the above, just a bit unlucky with injury recently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back