Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Our problem is we have Jack Williams who looks like a long term full forward and Archer Reid who from early signs seems like he will be a very good player too.
Cant fit Allen, Waterman, Williams and A.Reid in the same forward line.
Yea look for sure but there’s a long way between “promising signs “ and what actual production you’re getting out of waterman.
Nothings for certain and that’s quite a gamble you d be taking just hoping one of those players even becomes as good as player as Jake is now.

Best keeping him and let those others develop behind them then in a few years maybe make the call , especially if you need to balance other list needs

Yea look for sure but there’s a long way between “promising signs “ and what actual production you’re getting out of waterman.
Nothings for certain and that’s quite a gamble you d be taking just hoping one of those players even becomes as good as player as Jake is now.

Best keeping him and let those others develop behind them then in a few years maybe make the call , especially if you need to balance other list needs
JWilliams has shown more than just "promising signs"
A.Reid is only a first year player, but looks like a player

What do you see in him? he's only 5 months younger than Van Rooyen and I think Van Rooyen will just be a good player, not a great player.

They've chosen Hutchinson, a guy picked up off the scrap heap without a pre-season over Williams haven't they?
Hes from the same draft as JVR and Amiss. He hasnt gotten as many games at AFL because unlike Freo and the Dees our KPF stocks are/have been quite strong.
Hes only starting to get to the right size this year, hes less athletic than JVR or Amiss, hes more a Tom Hawkins style forward who will wrestle the defender. Hard to do that much when you dont have the muscle/weight to do so.
Hes got craft, now that hes filled in a bit he just needs games.

Hutchinson isnt a KPF, not the same position at all. Hutch isnt keeping Jack Williams out of the side

he averages 6 possessions and 0.8 goals a game. What am I missing? Yes I know he's young but he's not crunching packs or anything.
Idk if you realised it, but he hasnt been playing in a particularly strong team that gets an abundance of inside 50s. Hes also been playing as the 3rd or 4th tall generally.

Idk if you realised it, but he hasnt been playing in a particularly strong team that gets an abundance of inside 50s. Hes also been playing as the 3rd or 4th tall generally.
Yeah I factor that in, but if you look at a guy like Calsher Dear, he's producing better in his first season and has already shown to be an elite mark. You had supporters pumping up Ryan Maric too and he can't even crack into a bottom 2 team. I do think the eagles have plenty more pieces to add and it's gotta be done at the pointy end of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I factor that in, but if you look at a guy like Calsher Dear, he's producing better in his first season and has already shown to be an elite mark. You had supporters pumping up Ryan Maric too and he can't even crack into a bottom 2 team. I do think the eagles have plenty more pieces to add and it's gotta be done at the pointy end of the draft.
Dear is not the same type of player Williams is. Williams is your classic full forward who wants to wrestle with the defender, others like Dear are more athletic and because of their athleticism they can have more impact early in their careers.

I dunno why youre bringing up Maric, he realistically should have never left the team. Hes not destined to be a KPF, hes destined to be further up the ground with his elite field kicking. His main knock is a lack of a tank, which isnt surprising, but is the only plausible reason hes missed games or been sub

In all honesty I don't think he is worth near a top 10 pick so would chew Norths arm off for pick 3 or whatever. I would actually look to move him on this year if the interest is there too. He has had one 6 week period of top line stellar footy in 7 years of footy. It could easily disappear just as quickly as it came so would be pretty keen to sell while the market is this high.

Yea couldn’t resist not putting the 😉emoji in there.

That said seems to be leaning towards baker probably picking you guys and I think Pyke (with Matty Clarke there now )are determined to bring in talent any way they can .

If you can get away with your second with perhaps f3 thrown in it’s a decent deal

As for watermarn yeah got me ****ed why WC would even entertain a deal for him now he’s exploded .(outside of north offering f1 )
Along with Allan gives you guys a great kpf combo to build around .

Why?

Because he is turning 27 and at his highest trade value.

And they have 9 talls competing for spots forward without Waterman.

Allen 194, Darling 191, J Williams 198, A Reid 200cm, Maric 196cm, Jai Culley 194, Livingston 200, H Barnett 203, B Williams 199.

And Hutchinson 190.

Its a position the Eagles have invested in and would be smart to turn some of that into a top end mid which they desperately need.

There is absolutely no signs that Williams looks like an afl calibre player, let alone someone to pin your hopes on.

J Williams is coming along nicely and has shown he can compete both forward and as a 2nd ruck. His ruck work against the top end rucks has been quite good in breaking even. As a min I see him as a capable forward / ruck backup every premiership team needs. Wont cost huge cap space but fills a role and at times surprises with a big game.

Solid prospect. Hopefully keeps surprising and exceeds expectations.

J Williams is coming along nicely and has shown he can compete both forward and as a 2nd ruck. His ruck work against the top end rucks has been quite good in breaking even. As a min I see him as a capable forward / ruck backup every premiership team needs. Wont cost huge cap space but fills a role and at times surprises with a big game.

Solid prospect.
Ok. We'll agree to disagree on this one. I think he'll be out of the system in 3 years

Ok. We'll agree to disagree on this one. I think he'll be out of the system in 3 years

Have you actually watched the kid play?

The minimum bar I set isnt that high. McInness who was a pretty average footballer spent quite a long time on our list being a ruck forward backup. And you find these backup talls on every single AFL list.

In his 3rd season and is now in the best 25, that is pretty decent development for a 20 yr old 198cm kid.

As for watermarn yeah got me ****ed why WC would even entertain a deal for him now he’s exploded .(outside of north offering f1 )
Along with Allan gives you guys a great kpf combo to build around .
Waterman has maybe 5 good years left in him. Are West Coast contending for a flag in that time? I'd say probably not. But they definitely won't if they're still having to hit the draft hard by the time Tasmania come in. Better to get youngsters in now. If I were them I'd be willing to trade Waterman for a top 8 pick.

Waterman has maybe 5 good years left in him. Are West Coast contending for a flag in that time? I'd say probably not. But they definitely won't if they're still having to hit the draft hard by the time Tasmania come in. Better to get youngsters in now. If I were them I'd be willing to trade Waterman for a top 8 pick.
Who is giving a top 8 pick for waterman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back