Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually genuinely do understand where you are coming from here, however if Geelong handed over a F1 and then some, their members would explode.

He doesn't have the runs on the board to command such a price.
Their members would 'explode' for handing over a pick in the late teens + a 2nd for a bloke sitting 4th in the Coleman?

I really don't think they would, considering Geelong's recent strike record with first rounders.

They'd probably prefer to give up their firsts and keep the later picks, such is Wells' track record.

Thing is, is there even a 'commitment', other than a Freo poster trying to deflate his value whilst pumping up his own players?
Probably not. But it would not surprise to see Geelong in his ear.

I still they he is likely to be at WC next year - beyond that, I have no idea..

But nothing surprises me in this day and age, the player movement landscape has changed, it's very much a business these days

Their members would 'explode' for handing over a pick in the late teens + a 2nd for a bloke sitting 4th in the Coleman?

I really don't think they would, considering Geelong's recent strike record with first rounders.

They'd probably prefer to give up their firsts and keep the later picks, such is Wells' track record.
That's based on an assumption though.

The Shultz trade would look fine too if Collingwood were sitting in the top 4 like they were supposed to be when they made the deal.

You're right, if we finish top 4 and Waterman's in the same ballpark of this year then I doubt we'd give a shit.

If we drop away a bit though (entirely possible with a lot of youth in the side, particularly in midfield) it's not looking so good, and fans would turn quickly. You know they would.

It's the danger of trading with future picks. Well run clubs take that into consideration, and it really comes down to how much Geelong rate their list for 2025 with Waterman involved.

I actually genuinely do understand where you are coming from here, however if Geelong handed over a F1 and then some, their members would explode.

You have to overpay to get a guy under contract. Cats could wait 12-months and get him for free (trade-wise), but then Danger is gone and some other veterans are a year older.

You strike whilst the iron is hot - Cats are gamblers, they will risk it for the ultimate given the comp has no dynasty teams and it's as even as it has ever been.

You have to overpay to get a guy under contract. Cats could wait 12-months and get him for free (trade-wise), but then Danger is gone and some other veterans are a year older.

You strike whilst the iron is hot - Cats are gamblers, they will risk it for the ultimate given the comp has no dynasty teams and it's as even as it has ever been.
Cant see how you can beat Demons to the punch, nor have enough to make us budge.

Only reason or way we would have a move is to get a top 10 pick + extras. Otherwise we would wait for the compensation you organise for us

If the cats got him for a f1 and steak knives they should be very happy

Cant see how you can beat Demons to the punch, nor have enough to make us budge.

Only reason or way we would have a move is to get a top 10 pick + extras. Otherwise we would wait for the compensation you organise for us
Agreed.

Unlikely WC release him and trade him to Geelong in this years trade period. The Dees will trump what we can offer, but Jake himself has to also agree and want to play for Melbourne (not sure if he does or doesn't want to).

Clubs hold the power with players under contract - you guys know this with Tim Kelly. Clubs do recognise this.

Agreed.

Unlikely WC release him and trade him to Geelong in this years trade period. The Dees will trump what we can offer, but Jake himself has to also agree and want to play for Melbourne (not sure if he does or doesn't want to).

Clubs hold the power with players under contract - you guys know this with Tim Kelly. Clubs do recognise this.
Can you tell the Hawks fans in the Barass trade thread this. Its 100% gone over their heads for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No talk about this supposed Waterman deal on our team board.

Seems hard to credit some random Freo supporter knowing all about it when some reliable ITKs from our own club haven't said a peep.
Seems made up, tbh.

Especially when he then spent subsequent posts trying to talk Waterman down, whilst randomly talking Treacy and Amiss up, who are irrelevant to this thread.

It wouldn't affect his price, other than teams thinking 'Gee, imagine if he actually had a top 4 midfield kicking to him?', which means his value would go UP, considering he's contracted.
If sides are wondering what he'd look like with a top 4 midfield kicking to him then they can breathe easy if he goes to the the Cats knowing he won't get one

You would also need to convince Jake to go to the Dees and all the best with that

It’s hard to imagine a world where he is worth that much more than what Ben Brown was when the Dees got him. All this single figure pick talk getting my hopes up

Smith has a few asterisks on the trade value that I expect would drop it.

Waterman is an interesting one because he'd be ufa 20 odd games from now. Why bother trading him in now? Not sure he adds enough to justify a big trade

Why trade him in?

Because the player wants a long term contract and long term security. The club that provides that gets his signature this year. And he will want to take full advantage of his top form this season to get that.

IMO Barrass goes and Jake gets what he wants at the Eagles. He is two years younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back