Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

No thanks Geelong. Have a chat to Oscar Allen for a key forward please

Last edited:

These Eagles boys really turning the screws on the club while under contract haha

That's not the case at all.

Barrass apparently had a handshake agreement with the previous hierarchy to offer him better terms, looks like Eagles are declining to do so knowing he is a player of value who can assist in getting some draft picks in, he won't be involved in our next finals push so makes sense.

Waterman signed a two year deal last season when he was coming back from an illness and probably his lowest value, daresay the deal is low coin, is now in a purple patch and one year out from free agency. He is at his highest possible value right now.

That's not the case at all.

Barrass apparently had a handshake agreement with the previous hierarchy to offer him better terms, looks like Eagles are declining to do so knowing he is a player of value who can assist in getting some draft picks in, he won't be involved in our next finals push so makes sense.

Waterman signed a two year deal last season when he was coming back from an illness and probably his lowest value, daresay the deal is low coin, is now in a purple patch and one year out from free agency. He is at his highest possible value right now.

There is no way Waterman leaves the Eagles. His manager is doing his job. This will be his first and final real big contract. Cats and other clubs being used to force Eagles to offer more coin. His manager would be negligent if he wasn't doing this.

If west coast don't extend waterman then he will be next year's Josh Battle

Contract signed while sick is gonna cause him to be an UFA

Ok. We'll agree to disagree on this one. I think he'll be out of the system in 3 years
I think you may be eating humble pie in 3 years mate but we shall see as have heard great raps from him from other sources - he has a way to go just at the moment however the potential is definitely there, as JWilliams is still only a kid.

There is no way Waterman leaves the Eagles. His manager is doing his job. This will be his first and final real big contract. Cats and other clubs being used to force Eagles to offer more coin. His manager would be negligent if he wasn't doing this.

Personally I am not worried if he goes, we'll get some good picks in, I'm all for ripping off the band aid and hitting the draft.

Waterman would probably be worth almost the same as what Bailey Smith is worth, I'd think?
Won't happen, just posturing to get a long term payrise at WCE.

Even if it did, I assume it's under the assumption from Geelong that pick purchasing and/or future trading is coming in, which would give us an avenue to get multiple deals done.

Should be fun for the Eagles to deal with the Cats, I am sure it'll be very fair and Eagles and Cats fans on BF will be very amicable and nice just like the Kelly trade.
Sceptical that we're going hard at him. Sounds like a manager trying to push the Eagles into a bigger contract. Think our chips go towards mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sceptical that we're going hard at him. Sounds like a manager trying to push the Eagles into a bigger contract. Think our chips go towards mids.
I wouldnt be so sure. That was the train of thought with Barrass too but its looking more and more likely that he's out the door for the draft picks.

If we can go into next year with a bunch of good draft picks along with 2 less A-graders, it might make the coaching job a little more tempting, as there will be something to work with with so many good young kids with no expectations performance wise.

I think Waterman is a very good chance of going.

I wouldnt be so sure. That was the train of thought with Barrass too but its looking more and more likely that he's out the door for the draft picks.

If we can go into next year with a bunch of good draft picks along with 2 less A-graders, it might make the coaching job a little more tempting, as there will be something to work with with so many good young kids with no expectations performance wise.

Only out the door because the Eagles ain’t paying up. It’s taken a lot of work and convincing to try and get him to commit to Melbourne.

Eagles will pay Waterman imo

If Battle is even close to band 1 this year and Waterman repeats his 2024 form next year, he's getting band 1 without blinking whether UFA or RFA.

Can't imagine you can interest the Eagles this year with anything less than something in the top 10.
100%. Worst case he is going to band 2 which both of the Dees and Cats futures could be close to.

If money is a problem were happy to take Oscar Allen off your hands.

These Eagles boys really turning the screws on the club while under contract haha
Waterman is not like that, Paul Peos is his manager
He told WCE that when they signed him on for two years on low coin
That if he has a good year would be looking to get a extension on good money
But that Jake would need to perform to get it
He has done that
He is happy and very popular at the club and is the best trainer on the track
He only goes if he wants to
Paul was approached by Melbourne earlier in the year now Geelong
I think WCE will offer him the dollars he wants and the term

Unless the new coach wants to move him on for draft picks
Forwards are so rare with his work rate and how clean he is
Guy runs 15k a game

Only out the door because the Eagles ain’t paying up. It’s taken a lot of work and convincing to try and get him to commit to Melbourne.

Eagles will pay Waterman imo
Yea thats what I mean though, they did it with Barrass because we have HEdwards who looks like a decent replacement.
We have JWilliams being genuine best 22 and Archer Reid pushing for games already. If we keep Waterman then we lose Archer next year for a 2nd round pick at best as he wont have a way into the side.

Im sure the club is weighing up the 2 options, Waterman for a top 10 pick + whatever vs Archer for a late 2nd rounder next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back