Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea thats what I mean though, they did it with Barrass because we have HEdwards who looks like a decent replacement.
We have JWilliams being genuine best 22 and Archer Reid pushing for games already. If we keep Waterman then we lose Archer next year for a 2nd round pick at best as he wont have a way into the side.

Im sure the club is weighing up the 2 options, Waterman for a top 10 pick + whatever vs Archer for a late 2nd rounder next year
They would hopefully have Archer signed up by the end of the year. Sub likely gone next year, you can play all 4 if deserving

They would hopefully have Archer signed up by the end of the year. Sub likely gone next year, you can play all 4 if deserving
If it becomes normal to play 4 tall forwards in the same side then sure, I dont see that being likely. Clubs will play an extra runner.

if you were Archer as a first/second year player and saw that you have the captain of the club, Waterman on 900kish(with his payrise), and Jack Williams ahead of you all of whom are under 27 why would you stick around?

Hes stuck waiting for someone to get injured for a few more years until he might be able to push someone out, or he could go to another club in his home state and play every week straight away.

If it becomes normal to play 4 tall forwards in the same side then sure, I dont see that being likely. Clubs will play an extra runner.

if you were Archer as a first/second year player and saw that you have the captain of the club, Waterman on 900kish(with his payrise), and Jack Williams ahead of you all of whom are under 27 why would you stick around?

Hes stuck waiting for someone to get injured for a few more years until he might be able to push someone out, or he could go to another club in his home state and play every week straight away.
Haha. Archer has shown some great signs but he’s a 19yo skinny key forward. Not sure you are getting rid of a key forward who has shown he can do it on the back of what he’s done.

Nothing wrong with developing for a few years in the magoos and probably why our development has been so bad lately became a lot of our players could not do it recently.

Sub is probably gone next year and 5 on the bench will get the thumbs up. Don’t think teams would go with 5 smalls on the bench but who knows.

If he is ready he will play, they will find a spot.

Last edited:
Money is the least of our problems lmao.

I have no idea where we are going to spend our salary cap next year if we lose Barrass and Waterman

Kid called Harley will be looking for a new deal.

Family weren’t really happy at the club last year with the way they handled his illness but he still signed the 2 year deal. He had a very good deal on the table before that as he started 2023 in the same manner he has gone on this year.

I personally think if he was going to go it would have been then. He loves the club. But can understand his manager now trying to claw back some of the money he lost on this deal.

But he’s such a great guy, I wish him nothing but the absolute best even if it isn’t at WC. Would suit pretty much any forward line he works so hard.

Haha. Archer has shown some great signs but he’s a 19yo skinny key forward. Not sure you are getting rid of a key forward who has shown he can do it on the back of what he’s done.

Nothing wrong with developing for a few years in the magoos and probably why our development has been so bad lately became a lot of our players could not do it recently.

Sub is probably gone next year and 5 on the bench will get the thumbs up. Don’t think teams would go with 5 smalls on the bench but who knows.

If he is ready he will play, they will find a spot.
If we keep Waterman Allen and JWilliams theres no clear path to the side for 5+ years!!

Its not like we have a 31 year old keeping him out of the side.
He doesnt have to get games next year, but in year 3 on the list he will want games, and if we cant guarantee him any why would he stay? Other clubs will come at him with better offers.

We are talking about getting rid of a KPF who will be 30+ before we likely contend again, getting a top 10 pick to get an elite mid/HBF which are huge areas of weakness for the list AND making room for a good KPF prospect who could have 12+ years on the list still to get a few games as a 3rd tall.

An absolute no brainer if Melbourne come with pick 8 + a 2nd rounder or something to let him go.

Its the exact same scenario as Barrass/HEdwards, but we have a year to go before anything is final

I dont think 5 smalls on the bench, most teams wont want to have an extra tall, especially one that is just a pure KPF or a 3rd ruck/fwd.
I can see taller runners like a Hutchinson type being more popular with the extra bench spot as he can go forward and take a grab, or he can run up and down the ground

The play with Waterman to me should be that he gets a little pay bump to ensure he is in the top 25% to make him a RFA next year.

Short of Richmond or North offering their 1R for him there is little to gain by trading him a year before FA unless he has a shocker next year or a significant injury, both of which you can’t predict.

If the club is desperate for picks this year and wants to trade him, based on the ladder predictor the best result I can see is a deal with the Demons which is Waterman and BWilliams for pick 7, 38 and 43. That is the absolute minimum but I hope we’re patient and cash in next year if that’s best for club and player.

The play with Waterman to me should be that he gets a little pay bump to ensure he is in the top 25% to make him a RFA next year.

Short of Richmond or North offering their 1R for him there is little to gain by trading him a year before FA unless he has a shocker next year or a significant injury, both of which you can’t predict.

If the club is desperate for picks this year and wants to trade him, based on the ladder predictor the best result I can see is a deal with the Demons which is Waterman and BWilliams for pick 7, 38 and 43. That is the absolute minimum but I hope we’re patient and cash in next year if that’s best for club and player.
I have no doubt that clubs will offer good picks similar to what you mentioned for a guy thatll be rightfully offered 900k+.

If our plan is to take him to FA and hope for band 1 with the risks of injury/form, we may as well just let him go this year for a top 10 pick

If we keep Waterman Allen and JWilliams theres no clear path to the side for 5+ years!!

Its not like we have a 31 year old keeping him out of the side.
He doesnt have to get games next year, but in year 3 on the list he will want games, and if we cant guarantee him any why would he stay? Other clubs will come at him with better offers.

We are talking about getting rid of a KPF who will be 30+ before we likely contend again, getting a top 10 pick to get an elite mid/HBF which are huge areas of weakness for the list AND making room for a good KPF prospect who could have 12+ years on the list still to get a few games as a 3rd tall.

An absolute no brainer if Melbourne come with pick 8 + a 2nd rounder or something to let him go.

Its the exact same scenario as Barrass/HEdwards, but we have a year to go before anything is final

I dont think 5 smalls on the bench, most teams wont want to have an extra tall, especially one that is just a pure KPF or a 3rd ruck/fwd.
I can see taller runners like a Hutchinson type being more popular with the extra bench spot as he can go forward and take a grab, or he can run up and down the ground
Waterman is a running type if need be and if you must bring in Reid and want to play 5 smalls and have no injures……..

I know you want to run out with 23 u22 yo players but it just doesn’t work.

You won’t retain any of your young Vic talents without paying massive overs and will just turn the Eagles into one of those cycle clubs.

If A Reid is banging down the door by this time next year and for some reason yet isn’t signed, you will get a very good return in a trade anyway and was probably never going to stay.

The Western Australian has now also linked Crows, Dons and Hawks. 3rd of the comp wants a 25yo key forward who could be leading the Coleman in a bottom 3 side…. I wonder why

Band 1 will be there if needed next year but im 99% he will be signed up

Waterman is a running type if need be and if you must bring in Reid and want to play 5 smalls and have no injures……..
If we want to use Waterman running up and down the ground while we sit 3 other KPFs in the f50 we may as well trade Waterman out and get someone cheaper to do that role...
I know you want to run out with 23 u22 yo players but it just doesn’t work.
Thats not what im saying at all?
You won’t retain any of your young Vic talents without paying massive overs and will just turn the Eagles into one of those cycle clubs.

If A Reid is banging down the door by this time next year and for some reason yet isn’t signed, you will get a very good return in a trade anyway and was probably never going to stay.
Hes no chance to stay if theres no spot in the 22 in the near future.
We wont get better than what we paid for Archer in a trade when hes out of contract and hasnt played a game.

Its a pretty logical conclusion to come to that trading out a players in a position we have an abundance for picks that will help cover a huge area of weakness.

Waterman will be 30 before we contend. We could have Allen as the older KPF, with JWilliams and A.Reid as the early-mid 20s KPFs running the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Western Australian has now also linked Crows, Dons and Hawks. 3rd of the comp wants a 25yo key forward who could be leading the Coleman in a bottom 3 side…. I wonder why

Band 1 will be there if needed next year but im 99% he will be signed up

he is 26. and not a key forward at his size. all well and good kicking goals during season against sides that don't pay much attention to you but he needs to be able to beat key defenders deep in finals where its a lot tighter. at 191cm, he aint beating many.

love to keep him, but it seems like since we gave yeo a pay rise, everyone wants one.

If Battle is even close to band 1 this year and Waterman repeats his 2024 form next year, he's getting band 1 without blinking whether UFA or RFA.

Can't imagine you can interest the Eagles this year with anything less than something in the top 10.
Getting someone in the door a year earlier would be high priority for West Coast you'd think

especially with such an even first round, the draft is looking great

he is 26. and not a key forward at his size. all well and good kicking goals during season against sides that don't pay much attention to you but he needs to be able to beat key defenders deep in finals where its a lot tighter. at 191cm, he aint beating many.

love to keep him, but it seems like since we gave yeo a pay rise, everyone wants one.
He played and marked like a key position player and did it on some very good opponents.

Perfect 3rd tall imo to go with Allen and JWill

If we want to use Waterman running up and down the ground while we sit 3 other KPFs in the f50 we may as well trade Waterman out and get someone cheaper to do that role...
He does that anyway? He’s not a stay home forward now with Archer. I don’t want to, you want to push a 19yo skinny kid ahead of a bloke who could’ve won a Coleman with some luck this year.
Thats not what im saying at all?

Hes no chance to stay if theres no spot in the 22 in the near future.
We wont get better than what we paid for Archer in a trade when hes out of contract and hasnt played a game.
It’s football and there will always be injuries. Like I said if he is good enough he will play especially with the rules likely to change next year with subs and bench size.
It’s a pretty logical conclusion to come to that trading out a players in a position we have an abundance for picks that will help cover a huge area of weakness.
Stupid logic by trading out a 25 yo heart and soul player who puts in every week and is dominating at his position (yes a BF eagles fans whipping boy and no doubt yours by the sounds of it). You ain’t retaining anyone if you do this.
Waterman will be 30 before we contend. We could have Allen as the older KPF, with JWilliams and A.Reid as the early-mid 20s KPFs running the forward line.
Hawks should’ve traded Sicily when down? That would’ve worked out well…We already have TB half way out the door to help with extra picks. Age profile isn’t great for us so makes sense. Not a 25 yo forward who is dominating and put your hopes in A Reid who has shown some really good signs for a month… McDonald, Filly are in their 4th year and still ain’t smashing the comp. It’s taken 4 years for a freak talent of JUH to start to put it together.

Yeah maybe. I don't think Geelong are getting either using a future first so it'll be intriguing.

We wont be trading our future 1st and i doubt waterman is getting traded anyway.

That's not the case at all.

Barrass apparently had a handshake agreement with the previous hierarchy to offer him better terms, looks like Eagles are declining to do so knowing he is a player of value who can assist in getting some draft picks in, he won't be involved in our next finals push so makes sense.

Waterman signed a two year deal last season when he was coming back from an illness and probably his lowest value, daresay the deal is low coin, is now in a purple patch and one year out from free agency. He is at his highest possible value right now.

Didnt the Eagles uplift Barrass's contract but not to the level he expected.

And obviously it seems not to current market value levels with two clubs trying to buy him.

He does that anyway? He’s not a stay home forward now with Archer. I don’t want to, you want to push a 19yo skinny kid ahead of a bloke who could’ve won a Coleman with some luck this year.
We still have Darling next year. Archer will want to see a pathway for him to break into the side and a way to play his actual role. He wont get that if we have 3 other KPFs in the 22/23 ahead of him. Idk how many times I need to say this
It’s football and there will always be injuries. Like I said if he is good enough he will play especially with the rules likely to change next year with subs and bench size.

Stupid logic by trading out a 25 yo heart and soul player who puts in every week and is dominating at his position (yes a BF eagles fans whipping boy and no doubt yours by the sounds of it). You ain’t retaining anyone if you do this.
If a club offers a very good deal then we would be negligent not to accept it. We are rebuilding, we need things other than KPFs on the list.
Hawks should’ve traded Sicily when down? That would’ve worked out well…We already have TB half way out the door to help with extra picks. Age profile isn’t great for us so makes sense. Not a 25 yo forward who is dominating and put your hopes in A Reid who has shown some really good signs for a month… McDonald, Filly are in their 4th year and still ain’t smashing the comp. It’s taken 4 years for a freak talent of JUH to start to put it together.
Sicily is the only one they kept, hes also the captain. We still have Allen.
All our mature A grade talent under 31 will be sitting in our forward line with very little to get it to them

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back