Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

No talk about this supposed Waterman deal on our team board.

Seems hard to credit some random Freo supporter knowing all about it when some reliable ITKs from our own club haven't said a peep.
Pretty much all of the respectable ITK's on Cats page said it's Waterman's agent using Cats as leverage to get Eagles to pay up more and that there's zerotruth to the rumours.
Very very different to the Bailey Smith and Riley Garcia links where there is a lot of internal news going on.

Can't fault Jake or his agent, he's had a career best year and he and his agent want to maximise dollars in case he falls off a cliff just as suddenly as he has risen. Got lock up that big money deal while in prime years.

Why trade him in?

Because the player wants a long term contract and long term security. The club that provides that gets his signature this year. And he will want to take full advantage of his top form this season to get that.

IMO Barrass goes and Jake gets what he wants at the Eagles. He is two years younger.
Yeah that makes sense, understand why he'd want to frank his form this year. So much about the idea we'd be chasing him hard for this period doesn't though.

So the benchmark for band 1 compo will be roughly 950k a year.

Are you assuming that someone is willing to pay that per year over an extended period of time?
Are you assuming Eagles would let him go for band 2 compo or a 2nd rounder compo?

Also we saw Harrison Petty at 5 year 4 mill as his offer, do you think Waterman would get less?

Are you assuming Eagles would let him go for band 2 compo or a 2nd rounder compo?

Also we saw Harrison Petty at 5 year 4 mill as his offer, do you think Waterman would get less?

We also saw Zurhaar not get the relevant offers to hit Band 1 compo. A player who has produced more consistently than Waterman.

I think if you were to land Pick 2 or Pick 3 compo for Jake Waterman next year there would be absolute uproar in the football community.

As i mentioned earlier, Waterman has had 1 good season and is 26 years old with a horrible injury history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also saw Zurhaar not get the relevant offers to hit Band 1 compo. A player who has produced more consistently than Waterman.

I think if you were to land Pick 2 or Pick 3 compo for Jake Waterman next year there would be absolute uproar in the football community.

As i mentioned earlier, Waterman has had 1 good season and is 26 years old with a horrible injury history.
Waterman was playing very good footy last year too with some responsibility, he was playing higher up the ground though.

If McKay can get band 1 then Waterman easily gets it

Hes been the main guy most of the year.

For the worst side in the comp, and because Allen isnt there.

Put it this way, if Melbourne offer him 950k to come in behind Van Rooyen, Van Rooyen will want to renegotiate himself onto 1.2 million a year. Not to mention Fristch would have his hand out too.

I dont see a team in the comp that is offering him nearly 1 million dollars a season, which is why you take the end of first rounder now.

Why would a half forward get a bigger offer than a FF who is 4th in the Coleman Medal playing for a bottom 3 side ?

If the cats got him for a f1 and steak knives they should be very happy

Strongly disagree of trading any F1 when we are already in year 1 of our rebuild.
Any rumours of Waterman to Geelong have already been firmly dismissed by club ITK's as "rumours" being cooked up by Waterman's agent to get Eagles to pay up.

Just think to yourself this.
1. Why would a WA local boy playing for his hometown team move to Victoria?
2. Why would he leave a key role he already has for a lesser role?
3. What is the incentive for Cats to do it?

Cats already have young guys in Jake's position they've put time and investment into...especially since Cats forward line is their strongest area by far.

Why would a half forward get a bigger offer than a FF who is 4th in the Coleman Medal playing for a bottom 3 side ?

He didnt, but your just assuming there will be a market for Waterman to reach that value.

He's not a full forward for any of the teams that are rumoured to be into him. Hes a second or third string forward.

If he goes to Geelong, he is their 3rd best forward, behind Jezza and Stengle. Then they have Miers, Henry and Close who need to get looked after too.

Hes not a chance to get 950k a year at Geelong. Take the trade.

He didnt, but your just assuming there will be a market for Waterman to reach that value.

He's not a full forward for any of the teams that are rumoured to be into him. Hes a second or third string forward.

If he goes to Geelong, he is their 3rd best forward, behind Jezza and Stengle. Then they have Miers, Henry and Close who need to get looked after too.

Hes not a chance to get 950k a year at Geelong. Take the trade.
I’m assuming we won’t let him leave unless that is his market value…

Whether it is or not is up to what happens in 2025 a fair bit I’d say

Unless we get band 1 compo, he wouldn’t leave

Right now though, I think he is worth more than Zurhaar on the market if free agency was up for discussion. The tall forward market is very grim right now for teams like Melbourne.

I’m assuming we won’t let him leave unless that is his market value…

Whether it is or not is up to what happens in 2025 a fair bit I’d say

Unless we get band 1 compo, he wouldn’t leave

Right now though, I think he is worth more than Zurhaar on the market if free agency was up for discussion. The tall forward market is very grim right now for teams like Melbourne.
I can’t believe we’re even comparing Waterman to Zurhaar. One’s a 3 goal a game tall forward and the other is a forward/mid who has barely shown enough for band 2 money this year.

For the worst side in the comp, and because Allen isnt there.

Put it this way, if Melbourne offer him 950k to come in behind Van Rooyen, Van Rooyen will want to renegotiate himself onto 1.2 million a year. Not to mention Fristch would have his hand out too.

I dont see a team in the comp that is offering him nearly 1 million dollars a season, which is why you take the end of first rounder now.
You think the man whose kicked 26 goals is worth 300k per year more then the guy whose kicked 48 (and played 2 less games basically) ?

Yeah that makes sense, understand why he'd want to frank his form this year. So much about the idea we'd be chasing him hard for this period doesn't though.

Maybe. But end of the day clubs sometimes dont have the choice when a player becomes gettable. And if opportunity pops up as a surprise then they either have a crack or they dont.

Key forward at 26 in career best form. Those opportunities are rare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Waterman [RFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back