Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Who is our greatest Centre Half Back?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams do that for Gov

teams also did this for Gov
Jako's time was different, players today move around the ground a lot more, defenders are swapping opponents more often.

Back in the 90s, Big buggers would try to dominate a position. maybe it was ego, or 'toxic masculinity', it was pretty good days though.

Just to throw a spanner in the works here. If McIntosh hadn't done his knee he was a better player than either of them. Jako's knee hurt his game, McIntosh's knee ruined his career.

Brilliant defensively, fastest player on the list and was very good with ball in hand before the knee recon as well. (also had a degenerative issue in his other knee the poor bastard)

Gov cannot lockdown on a player or maybe he can but has not been asked to??

Pretty important to be able to lock down an opposition player as a backman.

Both great players, both playing vastly different eras of the sport. (maybe two different sports)

If i had to pick one it would be Jacko.
McGovern had years like 2017 - 2019 where his 1v1 rating was top of the league by some measure.

Where McGovern has improved is his offensive game.

Gov can lockdown on good player but time to time gets found out when he doesn’t get the balance right on trying to play his own game and nullifying his man. He’s also quite stubborn that he Will regardless try to play his own way.

Jakovich, and it isn't close. I'll always pick the defender whose primary role is to stop his direct opponent. Few in the game have done it better than Jako did.
Nah it is close. McGovern has been the best CHB in the league for 10 years and could have 5 AA's at the end of this year. Jako, as magnificent as he was in his prime was never the same player after that knee. Jako was better man on man, however McGovern dominates the kick behind the play role like no one. Both played key roles in their respective coaches gameplay. I'm not going to call it, because it's very very close.

I also wonder what Simmo would have done had a young Jako arrived at the eagles. I suspect he'd have played him at CHF. Malthouse turning Jako into a CHB was masterful coaching.

You cant compare players from 2 different eras of the game. Its like comparing Bradman and Tendulkar.

However in these scenarios I would always favour the more recent player, as sports science, fitness standards, and the speed and professionalism of the game (any game) far exceeds those from 20+ years ago.
But Bradman v Tendulkar is a no contest.

Jako's best was better. 93-96 it was crazy how good he was. He'd destroy Carey 1-on-1 & it was widely acknowledged Jako had the better of him.
Jako took a lot of intercept marks/pack macks, but he was doing this at the same time as defending/shutting down his own man. Actually got a lot of the footy for a key defender before anyone else was doing it. He'd always be streaming off the HB line ball in hand. He could not have done more than what he was doing.

But post-knee he dropped away quite a bit, to the point that I'd say Gov's average output over his career better than Jako's probably.

But I'm still taking Jako because peak Jako was better. I vaguely recall some sort of media article in early 2000s I reckon where a lot of AFL experts/former legends gave their top 20 players (can't remember time period) but A LOT had Jako at the pointy end

Yeah but he didn’t do that and there were plenty of folk potting his for being a big waste of money for a while there (not me personally, I love the guy!) - but it’s like saying what if Jako hadn’t done his knee at age 23, when he was one of the top 2-3 players in the whole comp - who knows how many AAs he collects?

Very few players have played seasons of footy for the Eagles to the level of Jakovich did for that run from 1993 to 1995 (and pre-knee 96). I’d say Cousins 2001-2005, and Judd 2004-first half of 2007 are the only ones really comparable.

To me, that gives him the edge over Gov.

Both however are in our all-time backline, alongside Darren Glass, Shannon Hurn, Guy McKenna and John Worsfold.
I remember attending first game of the season, maybe 95', and the AFL Record at the game ranked the top 20/30 players in the league. Jako was their No.1

Very different player, Jako was so strong in the contest but Gov is one of the great interceptors ever, both would compete for the all time Eagles hall of fame squad.

A question I have grappled with for about 6-7 years now.
McGoverns trick is simply the best ever, however Jacko takes the cake purely for the fact he did everything well and has better versatility. He could stop his man and would still dominate the back half and rebound. Absolute unit.

Opinion Jakovich v McGovern

Back