News James Mcdonald to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh, i dont get it. sure he was a good player, and would be more than capable of having an impact on a couple of games in a season, but at 34, what is the point? we will be there for 1-2 years and who knows how his body will hold up. i wouldnt mind seeing him at the club working with the midfielders. was a player who always ran the other way and willing to do the dirty stuff so he could be able to pass some things on to the kids, and being an ex-captain, may also be able to work with the leadership group and even the next teir of players aka russel, bower, waite etc.

if we do pick him up, it better be for a very late pick, given that he is the best available at that pick, and on minimum wage. are we even able to put him on the veterans list, or does he have to be at the club for a minimum amount of time?

I'd be happy to try him for a season in the PSD and on low $$$.

Think his leadership would be valuable.

Would take the pressure off younger players and would be a huge benefit to Judd, even if it is for only 1 year, it gives the younger players another pre season. He is definetly someone who i wouldn't be upset about if we did give him one more year in the system.

As for other suggestions in the article, cant see Grigg going anywhere and Everitt is the odd one, one day we want him the next day we dont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it is that he could potentially be taking a spot in the team where we could be playing a youngster like Ellard or Robinson. No from me, but only on age basis, because i think he definatly has what it takes to go at it again.

What the F***! What a load of crap! If we were dead set flag contenders next year THEN maybe give him a go but at 34 he will only last about 1 season. Older players are more injury prone especially to hamstring injuries he's going to take up the spot of a young player for one full year (if he doesn't get injured). What a waste we should be putting games into a younger player.

McDonald's manager just spoke to the boys on SEN and it is a serious possibility with apparently Gold Coast being interested as well. They were saying we would pick him up to give Juddy and Murph support in the midfield, but isn't that why we got Hadley and McClean? How long would the deal be?

Although the rationale for recruiting a big bodied grunt player like mcdonald is sound, recruiting a 34 yr old with a history of soft tissue injuries is absurd.

Invest the time and games into Grigg or another younger player and develop somebody to play the roles we desperately need filled.

this is old carlton mentality. This kind of short sighted approach almost lead to the collapse of our great club.

34 is not too old....unusual yes...too old no

Bradley played till 36 and was still going strong

Bradley turned 39 two months after his last game and arguably should have played the following year, that being said given where we are as a group i am inclined to say no to mcdonald as a player but as an assistant coach?.

Remove this Banner Ad

News James Mcdonald to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back