Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Though Petrenko was one of our better players in the first half. I've noticed this year that he has the very useful ability to weight a ball over a defender's head when kicking to a forward who is peeling back towards goal. Did it twice today that stick in my mind, unfortunately Tippett misread the second one.

The soccer was ugly, but you could see what was happening in his mind. Bounce wasn't nice, shit, if I bend down to pick this one up that tackle's coming, I'll move it past the oncoming player.... whoops!! :eek:

Good post. I thought he was good in the first half too. Unfortunately for him those 2 second half howlers (the soccer and the missed ground level pick up) stood out like dogs b*lls). Was still top tackler for the team on 6 (with Mackay) in a game where we got absolutely mauled in that department.

If Petrenko does get dropped this week, it is going to be a very long road back for him. There are quite a few players lining up for a game at the moment and if he gets dropped this week he could end up a fair way down the pecking order.

I for one am very frustrated that he is not being played as a defender, but for some reason two different coaches have not identified him for this purpose.

If he gets dropped this week, the odds of Vader being right, are going to drop considerably.

I'm not on his case too hard for the soccer - it was the cherry on top that people will remember his bad day for, but he could honestly have been forgiven for not knowing his opponent had slipped behind him and he's not expected to turn and look.

In reality, someone should have given him some voice and let him know he was in the clear so he could pick up the ball, but they didn't and he tried to get the ball forward to where we had numbers.

The rest of his game though, was pretty shocking.

If Petrenko does get dropped this week, it is going to be a very long road back for him. There are quite a few players lining up for a game at the moment and if he gets dropped this week he could end up a fair way down the pecking order.

I for one am very frustrated that he is not being played as a defender, but for some reason two different coaches have not identified him for this purpose.

If he gets dropped this week, the odds of Vader being right, are going to drop considerably.

Agree. For me he is a defender and it is clear as day. Doesn't have the natural footy nous to be up forward- he just doesn't have that goal sense/creativity. He would be very good as a backman though I think, it should be where he's playing.

It doesn't help that he tends to crap his pants when he's taking a set shot. definitely agree with trying him as a small defender. I think it would be better suited to his best attribute, which is his ability to harass opponents and just never stop.

Very disappointed with Petrenko's game.

That missed wild kick in mid-air through panic was not the work of an AFL player. Cost the opportunity for a goal.

Also that failure to pick the ball up when he swooped on it in the last quarter was sub-par for a would be AFL player.

Overall a fairly quiet game with the most noticeable aspects of it being his inadequacies.

I don't buy the play him in defence idea either. Those howlers yesterday were a combination of panic and lack of skill and I don't want that near the opposition's goal.

Furthermore he couldn't replace anybody in defence on form.

IMO he's on the edge after his last 2 games. He needs a good one because Wright is lining up to take his spot.

Very disappointed with Petrenko's game.

That missed wild kick in mid-air through panic was not the work of an AFL player. Cost the opportunity for a goal.

Also that failure to pick the ball up when he swooped on it in the last quarter was sub-par for a would be AFL player.

Overall a fairly quiet game with the most noticeable aspects of it being his inadequacies.

I don't buy the play him in defence idea either. Those howlers yesterday were a combination of panic and lack of skill and I don't want that near the opposition's goal.

Furthermore he couldn't replace anybody in defence on form.

IMO he's on the edge after his last 2 games. He needs a good one because Wright is lining up to take his spot.

I endorse this post.

Pets in showdown 32: 16D, 81%De, 8T, 4i50s, 2G, 1GA

...unlucky to not have 3GAs (just needed others to kick straight and take chest marks). Bloody good game that, when the heat was on.

Easily his best game of the season. Only one moment that had me slapping my head in disgust.. Crows going forward, Petrenko runs back against the flight of the ball and intercepts a kick which was intended for another Crow (who was running forward). Petrenko's intercept destroyed the momentum and put half the team out of position, with the turnover coming 2 seconds after Pets disposed of it.

Now, that's one isolated moment in the game. It would be a very harsh critic to take that and say that he had a poor game. I'm nowhere near that harsh. I still don't rate him, but he had a decent game tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily his best game of the season. Only one moment that had me slapping my head in disgust.. Crows going forward, Petrenko runs back against the flight of the ball and intercepts a kick which was intended for another Crow (who was running forward). Petrenko's intercept destroyed the momentum and put half the team out of position, with the turnover coming 2 seconds after Pets disposed of it.

Now, that's one isolated moment in the game. It would be a very harsh critic to take that and say that he had a poor game. I'm nowhere near that harsh. I still don't rate him, but he had a decent game tonight.

C'mon - in our best five players, yet you manage to produce a paragraph highlighting one small error.

Get a grip!

Liking the balance of the forward line with the 3 smaller guys zipping around.

Pets was fantastic tonight. His pace and ability to get to playeres with the ball were crucial. Added more offense as well which really hurts the opposition.

Unbelievable this bloke. :rolleyes:

Being one of those that were very unhappy with his game 2 weeks ago, fair's fair, and I was wrapped in his game tonight. That's what I expect from a small forward - chasing, harrassing, tackling and holding the ball in the area.

Very good game from him tonight - looked every bit an AFL player.

Being one of those that were very unhappy with his game 2 weeks ago, fair's fair, and I was wrapped in his game tonight. That's what I expect from a small forward - chasing, harrassing, tackling and holding the ball in the area.

Very good game from him tonight - looked every bit an AFL player.

Macca he took a step forward again tonight.

He is now beleiving he belongs.

He does do some very special things.

He is not robotic too he can do the things you do not expect him too so difficult for his opponent.

Love his hard defensive efforts.

He and Wrights games tonight give us some added dimensions.

C'mon - in our best five players, yet you manage to produce a paragraph highlighting one small error.

Get a grip!
Get your hand off it. No way he was in our best 5 players - not even close.

I rate Danger, Sloane, Jacobs, Thompson, Walker, Reilly, Wright, Doughty & Walker were all well ahead of him - and that's before I start contemplating borderline cases.

That said, he wasn't anywhere near our bottom 5 players either - where he was mired for the first 3 games (R4 being a non-game that lasted just 4 seconds). Otten, Mackay, Callinan, Henderson, Talia, Smith, Lyons, McKernan & Tippett were all far less effective than Pets.

As for one paragraph highlighting his major blunder.. did you read the paragraph which followed it? I thought not.

Get your hand off it. No way he was in our best 5 players - not even close.

I rate Danger, Sloane, Jacobs, Thompson, Walker, Reilly, Wright, Doughty & Walker were all well ahead of him - and that's before I start contemplating borderline cases.

That said, he wasn't anywhere near our bottom 5 players either - where he was mired for the first 3 games (R3 being a non-game that lasted just 4 seconds). Otten, Mackay, Callinan, Henderson, Talia, Smith, Lyons, McKernan & Tippett were all far less effective than Pets.

As for one paragraph highlighting his major blunder.. did you read the paragraph which followed it? I thought not.
You keep being in denial! ;)

I thought this was probably his best game for the season, but he wasn't in our top 5 on the day
No probably about it. It was easily his best game for the season, by the length of the Flemington Straight. As you say, he wasn't in our top 5. It's debatable whether he was even in our top 10, given that I've already listed 9 players who were clearly better than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back