Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Who won this trade?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's absurd you expect something to come back with it.

Dixon 1st and 2nd

Ryder 1st and 2nd

Both were leaving their clubs in less than great situations and weren't the players they are today

At port we've been told the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd
Is that what you paid for Brad Ebert?

Talls are almost always worth more in trades than outside mids. Awful comparison.
Surely that depends on the quality of the players involved.

Surely that depends on the quality of the players involved.

It does but if you have an equal quality mid and tall (particularly KPF) the latter will almost always get traded for more. Hes comparing apples and oranges.

Damn dude really? I always hate talking about players going through the PSD and how unrealistic it is but with Brad Ebert it was a real possibility we were 2nd last on the ladder.
Yeah you clearly hate talking about the PSD.

The other poster suggested "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". Do you agree?

Yeah you clearly hate talking about the PSD.

The other poster suggested "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". Do you agree?
Lol why because I found proof to shut you up?

For Ryder and Dixon it obviously was the going rate. Both were about to hit their prime Ryder wanted out and was gonna sit out if required and Dixon didn't average even 16 games a year so it was more then fair.

Lol why because I found proof to shut you up?
What proof was that? An article conjuring the spectre of the PSD? Yeah, wow, devastating.

If Port were so eager to "do the right thing", why didn't they pay the going rate?

For Ryder and Dixon it obviously was the going rate.
That's not what he said.

"The going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd." Do you agree? It's not a trick question, champ.

What proof was that? An article conjuring the spectre of the PSD? Yeah, wow, devastating.

If Port were so eager to "do the right thing", why didn't they pay the going rate?

That's not what he said.

"The going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". Do you agree? It's not a trick question.
Yeah what a way to shut down the idea it was just speculation. Of course it was being considered. Just because you thought it wasn't doesn't mean you're right.

I also couldn't give a damn what another person said. I said what I said. Obviously your not gonna get that for a fringe 22 player.

Last edited:
Lol wtf

Using best and fairest finishes at gold coast ffs. Aaron young and Lyon are going to get higher finishes than most all Australians around the league. It’s a horrible measure

Also it’s a continuation of the flawed north argument of ignoring Polec will finish around the top of our bnf finish this year.
Mate, Sam Gray finished top 10 in ports bnf last year, don't pretend like your team is overflowing with superstars.

Polec has had a good contract year, that's not uncommon. 1 good year doesn't equal a 1st and 2nd round draft pick. We are already taking on risk by giving him 5 years, with his foot issues, why would we add to that by giving up heaps in the draft? Absolute stupidity.

Yeah what a way to shut down the idea it was just speculation.
What are you talking about? What was speculation? What's being shut down?

Of course it wa seeing considered. Just because you thought it wasn't doesn't mean you're right.
You're just rambling nonsensically.

I also couldn't give a damn what another person said.
So why did you respond?

I said what I said.
Another devastating argument.

Obviously your not gonna get that for a fringe 22 player.
Ebert was fringe 22 at Port?

"The going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd." Do you agree or not?

Talls are almost always worth more in trades than outside mids. Awful comparison.

Yeah when they are of equal quality the talls cannget rated more because of factors like rarity and time it takes to develop them

Ryder and Dixon aren’t close to Polec thanks to issues around them at the time I mentioned

I said good first 22 players

Ebert was a fringe player. One of the last selected in your 22 and the first out when you weren’t burdened with injuries.

Closer to young and ah chee (who we got 3rd/4th rounders for) than Polec at that time.

I said good first 22 players

Ebert was a fringe player. One of the last selected in your 22 and the first out when you weren’t burdened with injuries.
Ebert played 76 games in his four seasons at WC, including 22 in 2010 and 22 in 2011. That's pretty regular for a draftee. Upon his arrival at Port, he played every game in 2012, came second in your B&F and was your best performer in the Brownlow. He was appointed vice-captain for the following season.

So let's not pretend he was some crazy punt. He was a readymade best 22 player. What is the going rate for that?

Closer to young and ah chee (who we got 3rd/4th rounders for) than Polec at that time.
That's bullshit. See above. Ah Chee played 27 games for you in six seasons. Try again.

Mate, Sam Gray finished top 10 in ports bnf last year, don't pretend like your team is overflowing with superstars.

Polec has had a good contract year, that's not uncommon. 1 good year doesn't equal a 1st and 2nd round draft pick. We are already taking on risk by giving him 5 years, with his foot issues, why would we add to that by giving up heaps in the draft? Absolute stupidity.

He would have finished 2nd in your goalkicking that year by a good margin.

Using Sam gray as 10th in our best and fairest as a measure of our list isn’t the stinging criticism you think it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ebert played 76 games in his four seasons at WC, including 22 in 2010 and 22 in 2011. That's pretty regular for a draftee. Upon his arrival at Port, he played every game in 2012, came second in your B&F and was your best performer in the Brownlow. He was appointed vice-captain for the following season.

So let's not pretend he was some crazy punt. He was a readymade best 22 player. What is the going rate for that?

That's bullshit. See above. Ah Chee played 27 games for you in six seasons. Try again.

Ebert was one of the last players selected to your 22 and was dropped whenever you had the players to replace him. Had shoddy disposal playing as a half forward flanker because he wasn’t good enough to displace anyone in your centre square.

Was miles away from the player Polec is.

Ebert was one of the last players selected to your 22 and was dropped whenever you had the players to replace him. Had shoddy disposal playing as a half forward flanker because he wasn’t good enough to displace anyone in your centre square.
This has already been refuted. Again, look at the numbers. He played 76 games in four years after being drafted. That's pretty regular. And he then walked into Port and was immediately one of your best players. The fact he wasn't nailed on for a spot in the centre square at WC at age 20-21 doesn't make much of a point.

Was miles away from the player Polec is.
I didn't say anything about Polec.

But you said "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". That didn't apply when you poached Ebert, though, did it?

North talking trash about others best players. Yet Billy Hartung and Marley Williams comes in and is some of your best that's just a joke. Two players absolutey no one wanted.
Nah bud that's astute trading. Buying low and developing talent.

The joke is port overpaying for Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, Thomas and then not being able to afford to keep Polec.

This has already been refuted. Again, look at the numbers. He played 76 games in four years after being drafted. That's pretty regular. And he then walked into Port and was immediately one of your best players. The fact he wasn't nailed on for a spot in the centre square at WC at age 20-21 doesn't make much of a point.

I didn't say anything about Polec.

But you said "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". That didn't apply when you poached Ebert, though, did it?

You keep hiding behind the games played number to suggest Ebert is a quality of player Polec is

1. Ebert is a centre mid yes? Of course he is.
2. He played at hff for eagles yes? Fact.
3. This was because he wasn’t good enough to crack your midfield right? Yes. He played hff because he couldn’t displace your mids.

4. Was eagles Ebert a quality of player that Polec is? No.

Lol let it go. Ebert was a fringe player who you could barely fit into your team. Whinging about it now in relation to a Polec trade is silly.

The joke is port overpaying for Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, Thomas and then not being able to afford to keep Polec.
No it's not it shows how bad your team really is.

Watts salary is partially paid by Melbourne so it's not a huge problem, Rockliff is well worth his coin, Thomas is a rookie so he isn't paid much and will be gone at years end but Motlop I can agree on. Can't afford Polec though? Laughable that you have to overpay players to even get them to consider Port gave him a fair offer but $1,000,000 yeah nah take him and we'll take your first. Our cap can't be to bad if we're going for Lycett.

What a dumb troll.

Port didn’t overpay for any of those guys. 2nd rounder for the lot of them and we got them on reasonable or unders contract wise.

No one in the media has said that port can’t match north’s offer because of salary cap so why are you trying to make that a narrative?

You keep hiding behind the games played number to suggest Ebert is a quality of player Polec is
That is simply untrue. I haven't suggested that. You should point to where I have said this or concede it is factually inaccurate.

I am merely referring to your statement that "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd".

1. Ebert is a centre mid yes? Of course he is.
2. He played at hff for eagles yes? Fact.
3. This was because he wasn’t good enough to crack your midfield right? Yes. He played hff because he couldn’t displace your mids.
So now it all depends what position he played?

4. Was eagles Ebert a quality of player that Polec is? No.
Again, I haven't said anything to the contrary. But you said "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd".

Ebert was a fringe player who you could barely fit into your team.
He played 76 games in the four seasons after being drafted. That is regular senior footy for a guy who debuted aged 17.

Whinging about it now in relation to a Polec trade is silly.
You said "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". But that didn't apply when you poached Ebert, did it?

No it's not it shows how bad your team really is.

Watts salary is partially paid by Melbourne so it's not a huge problem, Rockliff is well worth his coin, Thomas is a rookie so he isn't paid much and will be gone at years end but Motlop I can agree on. Can't afford Polec though? Laughable that you have to overpay players to even get them to consider Port gave him a fair offer but $1,000,000 yeah nah take him and we'll take your first. Our cap can't be to bad if we're going for Lycett.
What a dumb troll.

Port didn’t overpay for any of those guys. 2nd rounder for the lot of them and we got them on reasonable or unders contract wise.

No one in the media has said that port can’t match north’s offer because of salary cap so why are you trying to make that a narrative?
Port aren't matching the offer because their player payment plans were for Polec to take 3x500k.

If they have have plenty of cash and rate him as highly as you do (1st + 2nd rounder) they should be bumping the offer up immediately to keep him.

That is simply untrue. I haven't suggested that. You should point to where I have said this or concede it is factually inaccurate.

I am merely referring to your statement that "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd".

So now it all depends what position he played?

Again, I haven't said anything to the contrary. But you said "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd".

He played 76 games in the four seasons after being drafted. That is regular senior footy for a guy who debuted aged 17.

You said "the going rate for a good ready made first 22 talent is a 1st and 2nd". But that didn't apply when you poached Ebert, did it?

Because Ebert wasn't a good first 22 talent in the context I used the term and that much is obvious unless you're carrying an axe to grind. He was a centre mid you couldn't even play in the midfield. He was an alright player. The diffence between eagles Ebert and port Polec is massive.

Do you think Aaron young, who plays every game for gcs is as good as Dylan Shiel?

You're simply using this thread to vent an old agenda.

Port aren't matching the offer because their player payment plans were for Polec to take 3x500k.

If they have have plenty of cash and rate him as highly as you do (1st + 2nd rounder) they should be bumping the offer up immediately to keep him.

Speculting on what port wanted to pay him and will offer before it's all said and done and passing it off like you're in the room is laughable.

The issue is that north have heaps of money. They've made offers left right and centre and been knocked back.

They've made a big offer to Polec

Port are under no requirement to match it and are appealing to polec on a ground other than money. Ie he likes it here and we look after him. This way we either keep him on value that keeps us competitive going forward or lose him to a huge offer and great compensation. It would not be responsible to try to match norths desperate offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Back