News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont want to get too political on you two but this is an urban myth. There is zero scientific evidence of the kind you're asserting (with reference to some kind of 'genetic' cause to the African running phenomenon). The 'fast twitch' muscle fibre theory is total bunkus too, thats been going around the traps for years. The scientific evidence in fact points overwhelmingly towards environmental factors being causative of African running dominance.

'Race' is a social construct and not a biological one for starters.

Aboriginal boys dont play a certain way because of 'genetics' any more than Greek boys do.

We have threads on this topic on the SRP boards; I suggest popping in there for a read.

There is probably many areas in your statement worth refuting . But i am not endowed with moderator privileges allowing me to continue. Suffice to say that the evidence is there, you just need more than google to look for it.

I dont want to get too political on you two but this is an urban myth. There is zero scientific evidence of the kind you're asserting (with reference to some kind of 'genetic' cause to the African running phenomenon). The 'fast twitch' muscle fibre theory is total bunkus too, thats been going around the traps for years. The scientific evidence in fact points overwhelmingly towards environmental factors being causative of African running dominance.

Aboriginal boys dont play a certain way because of 'genetics' any more than Greek boys do.

We have threads on this topic on the SRP boards; I suggest popping in there for a read.

any specific threads on this topic?

Just logged in to reply and agree wholeheartedly with Malifice. He's bang on.

Am I the only one who thought that he was not that good in the interstate game. Shit load of turnovers. Who ever made that video did him no favours.

I noticed the same thing but also that he kicked to a contest and his team mates were mostly out bodied in the contest. He seems to get a lot of hang time with his kicks but what I like is that he can actually kick accurately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can as many people as possible hype the bejesus out of this bloke please? message ends

When fit the kid can outrun and outjump most of the other kids he played against - so big ticks on athletic ability
He can also step, swerve, bounce and run the ball at speed through traffick
He can kick a goal.

That is why he went for a high pick to GWS- factor X.

All he has to do is recover from someone jumping on his foot - which will be a battle. If he recovers we bought potential superstar for not much. It is the type of gutsy call - you have to give credit to SOS and Bolts for- takes guts to have a punt on a kid at this stage of our rebuild but hey - it isn't like Carlton is betting the farm on him either.

any thoughts on his actual footballing ability? anyone? anyone at all?
Hey thylacine60, I watched a fair bit of him when he played for WA in both 2013 and 2014. He's at his best as a low possession, high impact midfielder. Never did much as a small forward when I watched him. Has one of the best bursts of speed off the mark that I've seen in a footy player. I'd like to see him running off half back at some stage. Can kick some horrid shanks but can hit some beautiful passes when he's out in the open. Has a similar game to Dylan Buckley IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back