News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

You would hope so. Hope the Daisy doctor went straight to purgatory with Malthouse, damn his eyes.

I am pretty sure one the doctors left around the time he or buttifant started. I think it had something to do with clashing philosophy

I'm impressed.

His bounce and turn of speed are nothing short of amazing. Plays with courage to take the game on - more of this please.

But what impressed me most was his interview. I don't know why, but I really want this kid to make it.

There aren't ever guarantees but there aren't any gaps in his play. I especially like how he remains composed while being tackled, and has the awareness to find a teammate.

There aren't ever guarantees but there aren't any gaps in his play. I especially like how he remains composed while being tackled, and has the awareness to find a teammate.

yeah i did see that as well but in that video most of those team mates were immediately put under pressure. only a couple of times did he give it to a team mate who was free.

Most of the time he is carrying the ball and kicking long into 50.
I saw that too.
I also saw him being bumped off the ball very easily and him fumbling the ball not many if any clean pick ups.
I'm not sold on him, but not ready to dismiss him either.

edit: If that is his highlights reel then it just not showing him in an exceptional light for a #4pick.

I saw that too.
I also saw him being bumped off the ball very easily and him fumbling the ball not many if any clean pick ups.

edit: If that is his highlights reel then it just not showing him in an exceptional light for a #4pick.

Marchbank seems to be the #1 target we have lined up for this year's trade - given all the hoo haa about him being worth pick #5 or a top ten pick alone. It is a BIG call by SOS to consider paying our first pick as part of ANY trade for Marchbank - time will tell wether it was the right call.
Re Pickett - TAC games and all that stuff shows off athletic ability more than anything else as far as true indiocations of AFL status goes. Blokes like Weitering are exceptional - not the rule.

I would imagine Pickett and any other injury clouded 'potential' player - wouldnt be 'costing' much in teh equation - in fact I woudl liek to think that GWS are trying to do the right thing by a few players good enough to persevere with in AFL - but excess to thier own situation - which is a mandated reduction in list size and increasing pressure on thier salary caps.

Bolton and SOS would have as good if not better 'credentials in terms of a good place for these young ones to come to - lets not under estimate all that in the equation - I doubt that Carlton are being 'easy' marks in any trade contemplated.

I saw that too.

It wasn't his highlights reel. It was random pieces of play, warts and all.

This is his draft video:
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2014-11-27/pick-4-meet-jarrod-pickett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised in the lack of love for Pickett.
Yes, he's had his injuries but the kid is only 20yo and from what I've seen he's exactly the type of player we have been missing - a classy, silky, speedy small forward. At draft time they were talking about how much of a jet he is. Seems like a good kid that just hasn't perhaps come to understand yet that talent will only take you so far. I'm backing Bolts, Neil Craig & co to get the best out of him.

Surprised in the lack of love for Pickett.
Yes, he's had his injuries but the kid is only 20yo and from what I've seen he's exactly the type of player we have been missing - a classy, silky, speedy small forward..

remember when we had a heap of them?

*content sigh*

What I would like to know is this; in his draft year, seeing as we're lacking anything from later on, how much of the ball did he get? Did he accumulate the ball naturally? Does he need inside players to feed the ball out to him, making him dangerous only when our mids dominate?

Is he a forward pocket, back flank, wing, or forward flank? Can he get contested ball? I'd love him to come on, but what position is he shaping to play - when he winds up playing again - and what can we expect from him long term?

Sorry but I just cant imagine we'd be bringing him in without doing due diligence on the status of his injury and prospects of full recovery.

Yeah unless it's 100% salary dump, which i doubt.

People were very concerned about Plowman and Sumner's injuries at GWS, yet they played almost the whole of 2015.

None of us here really know how bad Pickett's injury is so can't comment...but i'd trust the ppl we have in charge now to make the right call.

What I would like to know is this; in his draft year, seeing as we're lacking anything from later on, how much of the ball did he get? Did he accumulate the ball naturally? Does he need inside players to feed the ball out to him, making him dangerous only when our mids dominate?

Is he a forward pocket, back flank, wing, or forward flank? Can he get contested ball? I'd love him to come on, but what position is he shaping to play - when he winds up playing again - and what can we expect from him long term?
Averaged 20 touches and nearly two goals a game at Reserves & Colts level, with less than 5 marks a game in his draft year, with 5 goals in 5 games at senior level in the WAFL.

Looks like he was close to selection numerous times in 2015, finishing the year strong alternating between wing and HF. Seems fairly outside but can swoop on the loose ball. Needs to work on his defensive mindset, but has demonstrated the fitness necessary to meet the demands.

At the price we're getting him at, I think he'll open up the game for us, but he will definitely need to take heed of Bolton at team meetings and apply that in the VFL or pre-season before he gets a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back