Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely missing the point. He is a great player, probably our best with Butters but both of them are much better players when their heads are in the game. His talent is not a problem, but his attitude can be.

His attitude is that he hates losing. We'd be a far, far better football club if every player on the list cared and threw their weight around like he does.

Taylor Walker of all people defending JHF on 360.

Which were?
Sorry overseas anc can’t link article.
Along the lines of he’d prefer a player with passion, and that it just needs to be guided well. JHF is not alone and plenty of great players have displayed similar behaviours. Was sticking up for him.

His attitude is that he hates losing. We'd be a far, far better football club if every player on the list cared and threw their weight around like he does.

Yeah I love that attitude. Pretty sure you can keep that attitude minus giving away the costly free kicks though.

The thing that seems completely lost on most is that we were actually winning prior to him losing his shit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah I love that attitude. Pretty sure you can keep that attitude minus giving away the costly free kicks though.

The thing that seems completely lost on most is that we were actually winning prior to him losing his shit.

Were we? So you’re blaming him? Then our team is soft as hell.

The hyperbole around this kid is disturbing if you asked me. He pushed
A player, player flopped and ump sucked in for a 50.

Our supporters and players need to harden up

Yes we were winning at the start of the second quarter before the first outburst.

I would say that the hyperbole is coming from people that think that anyone not happy about poor discipline and giving away dumb free kicks is somehow a soft ****.

Not blaming him, but his behaviour sure as hell didn’t help us.

21 yo player gets angry because he was being scragged, held, and hit all game, with it all being ignored by the umpires ... More news at 7.
There's the story of Greg Phillips finding that Glenelg thug Salisbury and telling him if you touch Gav Wanganeen (I think 16 or 17 at the time) he'll end him. I know football has changed in the last 3 decades, but when we have a young player constantly scragged off the ball, who do we have to push back? Or for that matter, have 20 guys at every opportunity making sure they're going to have a tough game in return?

Our players aren't "soft" physically (they are mentally when the pressure is really on), but they're definitely not hard. Forget the wild west of the 80s, who do we have that 100% of the time will straight-line a ball under pressure and not accept losing the contest? SPP, Zac, Lachie Jones... Maybe a few others? Not enough.

Rather than hanging out our best young player to dry, perhaps our idiot coach could have developed a hard team that doesn't let our best young player gets scragged and pushed around....by fecking gold coast.

It's part and parcel of playing on the edge. Nothing grinds my gears more than hearing Hinkley admonish him (and previously Butters) about it publicly when under Hinkley's watch we've become a team of soft players who don't stand up when we're up against it. The players who

JHF giving away a couple of free kicks didn't BSOD our ball movement in transition in the 2nd half though. That was Ken Hinkley. We shouldn't have to rue a couple of passion free kicks that potentially cost us falling over the line against a side that just got beaten by North Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The same idiots bleating on about it!

I normally hate undisciplined play, but I didnt care at the time, and dont care now. The team was playing such crap vanilla football, that to see JHF stand up to the GC players with passion, was assuasive to me. I actually felt something watching this mind-numbing game style that we are playing under Hinkley!

Last edited:

It's all a media smokescreen to take the pressure and focus away from the dead man walking.

It's part and parcel of playing on the edge. Nothing grinds my gears more than hearing Hinkley admonish him (and previously Butters) about it publicly when under Hinkley's watch we've become a team of soft players who don't stand up when we're up against it. The players who

JHF giving away a couple of free kicks didn't BSOD our ball movement in transition in the 2nd half though. That was Ken Hinkley. We shouldn't have to rue a couple of passion free kicks that potentially cost us falling over the line against a side that just got beaten by North Melbourne.

Daddy dickhead is trying his best to ruin JHF and Butters on his way out

I disagree with this. How many other stars of the comp throw tanties like JHF did on Sunday?

And when the other GC players engaged (and ours just stood back and looked because Hinkley had already berated them for flying the flag) one took him high and the umpire just ignored it. You can bet if we did that the free kick would have been reversed.

The umps were more culpable than JHF because they let GC get away with low-grade :poo: all game. Ask Logan Evans.

I disagree with this. How many other stars of the comp throw tanties like JHF did on Sunday?

Jason Akermanis in the exact example you raised regarding Hardwick. Didn't work that day obviously but I think he did okay overall, which is the point.

"Unsociable" Hawthorn used to give away free kicks like those all the time while in dynasty mode.

JHF doesn't have to overextend if he's got teammates also providing some physical presence and helping him shake the tag. What's 100kg midfielder Ollie Wines doing? Remember the story about a 17yo Gavin Wanganeen and opposition "enforcers" being told if they touched him they'd have to be carried off the ground?

And when the other GC players engaged (and ours just stood back and looked because Hinkley had already berated them for flying the flag) one took him high and the umpire just ignored it. You can bet if we did that the free kick would have been reversed.

The umps were more culpable than JHF because they let GC get away with low-grade :poo: all game. Ask Logan Evans.

Bang on. We're so passive. If we're going to get the best out of the Rozee/Butters/JHF trio, we need any player trying to tag them sore as hell at half time. We just don't play that sort of physical game under Hinkley.

Lycett wasn't bad at it, but that was his only advantage over Sweet.

It goes back to wider strategy. Hinkley doesn't value talls, so we don't develop any, so we have to give up first rounder after first rounder to fill the holes on our list. Hinkley doesn't value physicality, so we end up with list lacking in mongrel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back