Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think we'd have a representation in the AA being second on a ladder, and we're a team that heavily relies on top end talent.

Whether it's JHF, Butters or Houston, would be a bit shambolic to not have anyone make the team.

Reason #432 why the ‘poor Ken doesn’t have the cattle’ narrative is a disgrace that cheapens us all.

It's so funny how Norf, Crows and Victorians try so hard to convince themselves that he's not that good.
Hopefully Crows fans will see for themselves how good he is when he wins Saturday night's Showdown medal.

You'd think we'd have a representation in the AA being second on a ladder, and we're a team that heavily relies on top end talent.

Whether it's JHF, Butters or Houston, would be a bit shambolic to not have anyone make the team.
Ken AA coach.

There's an article in TheAge (what a god awful publication) that appears to be making Horne-Francis the closest thng in the author's bias Victorian lens to Chip Scab Daicos. Anybody able to post the article?

Cant read thew whole thing but heres the title and first paragraph:

King Pair: Horne Francis mounts new challenge for Daicos Crown
1723506105529.png

Try again .. I clicked the link & went straight into the article. ....

Try again .. I clicked the link & went straight into the article. ....

Horne-Francis’ kicking could be better, but that was always the case with Dangerfield, too.

Loool don't you be lumpin JHF in with Dangerfield in terms of kicking. JHF kicking is very good, especially under pressure.

Loool don't you be lumpin JHF in with Dangerfield in terms of kicking. JHF kicking is very good, especially under pressure.
I agree. JHF gets into, and out of, some amazing situations, often under duress & pressure. So he does have some kicks go astray. But, apart from that, he is a good kick of the football. The difference is that Dangerfield's kicking action isnt great. with many his kicks going off target, even when not under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say that the one thing Dangerfield has over JHF is that Dangerfield is a bigger kick. Now if JHF is able to become a 50-55 metre kick to a 60-65 metre kick and still retain his kicking skills, that would be dynamite.

Last edited:
Should also be said that JHF has a unique super quick short kick that was evident even in his draft videos, similar to Butters. Don't know what you'd call it, but there was a good article about these sorts of kicking actions in modern players on the AFL site.

Found it

Twists, turns and tricks: Who are footy's 'contortionists'? - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1144970

I'd put JHF in this category, although his skill looks a little different

Last edited:
Should also be said that JHF has a unique super quick short kick that was evident even in his draft videos, similar to Butters. Don't know what you'd call it, but there was a good article about these sorts of kicking actions in modern players on the AFL site.

Found it

Twists, turns and tricks: Who are footy's 'contortionists'? - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1144970

I'd put JHF in this category, although his skill looks a little different
its such a weapen that we have two players in our inside midfield that can pull a short chip kick across their body.

have a look at this one from butters on the weekend

I would say that the one thing Dangerfield has over JHF is that Dangerfield is a bigger kick. Now if JHF is able to become a 50-55 metre kick to a 60-65 metre kick and still retain his kicking skills, that would be dynamite.
It’s a bit odd that with JHFs build and power he can’t nail it from 50m out. Always seems to want to pass it off when he marks on the 50 line.
Something to do with the surgery on the legs?

It’s a bit odd that with JHFs build and power he can’t nail it from 50m out. Always seems to want to pass it off when he marks on the 50 line.
His set shot is very high and doesn't have much penetration.

It's probably more accurate over like 0-40 but he struggles to kick beyond 50 and I doubt he ever will.

I've just watched this again for about the 10th time. What is fairly prevalent in this video is some absolutely ferocious chase down tackles.

Not sure why, but I don't really recall seeing him do too many as of yet. He definitely has the pace for it. There's been times where a player has ran past and if Jase really put on the jets he could have easily caught them.

Obviously he is pretty much elite at everything else, would love to see him add this back into his game.

I’m amazed that Aussie rules coaches haven’t sorted this out with elite players. It was fairly simple in my days of (not so elite!) coaching.

There’s not a lot of difference in power between the long kick players and short kick players in footy.

The two big differences are
. Timing of the kicking leg (most obvious, think Houston and Farrell)
. Locking in the ankle on contact (less obvious) For some it’s natural, for others they don’t know they’re not doing it. It’s amazing how much harder and further the ball goes when you consciously do this. And the smiles on faces when players realise this.

jhf or daicos for the next 10 years?
Port fans, JHF. Collingwood fans, Daicos. North fan, Sheezel. Wet Toast fans, Reid. Adelaide fans, Daicos. Essendon fans, a win in September?

We are pretty lucky to have the level of talent in the game, uninjured to this point in time.

I’m amazed that Aussie rules coaches haven’t sorted this out with elite players. It was fairly simple in my days of (not so elite!) coaching.

There’s not a lot of difference in power between the long kick players and short kick players in footy.

. Locking in the ankle on contact (less obvious) For some it’s natural, for others they don’t know they’re not doing it. It’s amazing how much harder and further the ball goes when you consciously do this. And the smiles on faces when players realise this.
Where were you when I needed coaching.... I could kick 45m easy no effort at all... But if I tried to kick further I wouldn't even make 45.

Agree point 2. Same as a snap of the wrist on a serve in tennis. Adds 20kmhr+ to power of serve. Same as golf swing snap as well.

Where were you when I needed coaching.... I could kick 45m easy no effort at all... But if I tried to kick further I wouldn't even make 45.
It could have been because when you were naturally kicking your ankle was locking in on impact. And when you were trying, you would be tensioning other muscles in the upper leg and unconsciously letting your ankle “give” a little on impact.

This also applies to taking soccer free kicks and goal kicks, kicking with a loose ankle is like handballing with a loose wrist.

Jello_B comment above describes it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back