Speculation Jaxon Binns [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

A few clubs sniffing around with North potentially one of them.

OOC 2025.

One of the best in the VFL the past 2 seasons.

Why no opportunity?

IMO he’s not physically ready for AFL and also the way he wins his ball in the VFL isn’t as translatable with the quicker and tougher AFL.

Don’t get me wrong he’s developing nicely but it’s fine to take a couple of years to develop at VFL level to improve your game. It shouldn’t be seen as a negative or a failure. He can take the shortcut and potentially get more opportunity elsewhere (in which he and the team he’s traded too will probably soon realise he’s not yet ready for AFL and he’ll end up back in the VFL anyways) or he can round out his game in the VFL and reach the point where he becomes a lock in our best 22. It’s up to him which path he chooses.

IMO he’s not physically ready for AFL and also the way he wins his ball in the VFL isn’t as translatable with the quicker and tougher AFL.

Don’t get me wrong he’s developing nicely but it’s fine to take a couple of years to develop at VFL level to improve your game. It shouldn’t be seen as a negative or a failure. He can take the shortcut and potentially get more opportunity elsewhere (in which he and the team he’s traded too will probably soon realise he’s not yet ready for AFL and he’ll end up back in the VFL anyways) or he can round out his game in the VFL and reach the point where he becomes a lock in our best 22. It’s up to him which path he chooses.
I imagine aswell with Carltons midfield being filled with bulls or Walsh makes it hard to break in aswell. Havent seen alot of Binns though personally

I imagine aswell with Carltons midfield being filled with bulls or Walsh makes it hard to break in aswell. Havent seen alot of Binns though personally

There’s a wing and/or HFF spot for him to take when he’s physically ready. He will never be a predominant centre bounce/stoppage player at AFL level regardless of which team he is at it IMO. He’s a wing or flank player with some midfield rotations. So he’s not really competing with Walsh, Kennedy, Hewett etc. He’s more competing with Ollie Hollands, Cottrell types both who are a little more physically advanced and rounded at this stage.

There’s a wing and/or HFF spot for him to take when he’s physically ready. He will never be a predominant centre bounce/stoppage player at AFL level regardless of which team he is at it IMO. He’s a wing or flank player with some midfield rotations. So he’s not really competing with Walsh, Kennedy, Hewett etc. He’s more competing with Ollie Hollands, Cottrell types both who are a little more physically advanced and rounded at this stage.
Interesting. If wing is that E.Hollands (having a great season) and Achers? still very tough spot. Carlton list in a good spot currently.

Interesting. If wing is that E.Hollands (having a great season) and Achers? still very tough spot. Carlton list in a good spot currently.

Our two main wings are Acres and O. Hollands at this stage. Cottrell spends some time there. Elijah Hollands is more a HFF with mid rotations than he is a wing. Binns is mainly competing against Ollie, Cottrell, Cuningham etc. He’s just not as physically advanced yet and he should keep rounding out his game at VFL level and he will get his crack. He’d find himself in the same position even if he seeks a trade at the moment IMO.

Would be premature for him to go elsewhere imo. Will be getting fed quality ball by Carlton's mids and learning the wing position off Acres who's about as good as they get for positioning and popping up in the right places during games.

Freakish runner which is why he gets so many possessions and marks in open space, bit of an Ed Langdon clone imo, probably with better skills early days.

Just needs to have a big pre season in the gym and opportunity will come.

He should leave. With 2 x Campo's coming in as well he could conceivably be further down the pecking order next season. Clubs love a father-son debut.

He’d be more advanced than the Campo’s. Besides, the supposedly better Campo is more an inside mid. Binns needs a big offseason getting stronger and cleaning up his disposal and he’ll get his chance before too long. He doesn’t need to be seeking greener pastures because as they say, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Jumping ship is the easy option, not always the right one. He could go to a weak team and get games, get bashed and crashed around with little on field support and look trash and find himself back in the VFL or he can work his way into a strong team surrounded by experienced contested ball winners who will make him look better. Predominantly outside and relatively small players like Binns only look good in strong teams IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss would rather play stooges like David Cuningham.

Not sure it should come as much surprise considering it comes from the same brilliant mind that brought you classics like thinking Pittonet was a better ruckman than Tom De Koning.

Nah but I’ve watched cottrell plenty and I would play literally anyone over him.
And your point being? Binns is not physically ready for AFL footy at this stage. Whether Cottrell is a superstar or a bum it doesn't really change that fact.

Cottrell has a stronger body and is more capable defensively. Binns may end up the better player in time but he needs to bulk up significantly so he can stick tackles on the bigger bodies of the AFL

And your point being? Binns is not physically ready for AFL footy at this stage. Whether Cottrell is a superstar or a bum it doesn't really change that fact.

Cottrell has a stronger body and is more capable defensively. Binns may end up the better player in time but he needs to bulk up significantly so he can stick tackles on the bigger bodies of the AFL

I don’t really have a point. I am a dickhead on Bigfooty. That’s what we do.

I’ll take your perspective on Binns, I can’t comment on him as I’ve never seen him but my god I can’t understand how Cottrell is getting a game at any club, let alone one in the 8.

How can you have 50 disposals at VFL level and not be ready for AFL football?

The VFL isn’t u16 football.

Let’s not also pretend like the current AFL product is the 1980’s either.

He wouldn’t be playing in the center square either.

When most people refer to as a young player not being ready for AFL football, it surrounds endurance, which isn’t an issue for Binns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jaxon Binns [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back