Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't confuse panic for strength.

We didn't go through a process to check the market and went with Sam. Collingwood has gone through a process and may have gotten the best potential coach who was under our noses. Carlton are going through something.......

Why would the board panic do you think when we have the greatest ever coach currently contracted?

Why didn't the Board go through due process?
As an employer I would much rather promote from within knowing the resource you have is either capable or will be capable in time to fill a role, rather than risk an appointment through an interview process. It is a much lower risk approach for the organisation. Hawthorn having been burnt through the interview process in appointing a CEO not that long ago, has gone through a process in appointing Sam, it’s just not the process that you would like to see. It is a process, and like I mentioned before, would be my preferred lower risk process for any senior appointment.

This argument back and forth is getting really tiresome I'm sure, but I don't think those are the facts at all, maybe just partly the story we are going with publicly.

Caro even reported on 3AW that the club and everyone lied about Clarko being the one instigating the initial conversations, and if she's getting info from Clarkos camp as many suggest, that's probably close to the mark.

Either way, Clarko did want to coach next year, club put an end to that, and he's getting paid out. End of story. Bring on the Sam era.

As I suggested about 100 pages ago, we will have to wait until certain biographies are released before most of what really happened with the Clarko/succession plan is known to all - even though, after all these years there is still some debate about what took place during Parkin and Joyce's coaching departures...

Re Caro - if I liked Chocolate ice-cream but you preferred Strawberry and Caro thought this was newsworthy, then suddenly we would be portrayed in the media as bitter enemies..!!!
This is simply what she and others in similar media roles are paid to do; speculate and/or exaggerate and/or misrepresent snippets of information...

Last edited:
As an employer I would much rather promote from within knowing the resource you have is either capable or will be capable in time to fill a role, rather than risk an appointment through an interview process. It is a much lower risk approach for the organisation. Hawthorn having been burnt through the interview process in appointing a CEO not that long ago, has gone through a process in appointing Sam, it’s just not the process that you would like to see. It is a process, and like I mentioned before, would be my preferred lower risk process for any senior appointment.
Major organisations still test the market to ensure that the candidate is the right one. As I mentioned earlier the process we have followed is the same as the Lions, * and Collingwood and all three of those failed. Why do we sit back and call those clubs idiots and then excuse our Board for following that exact same process?

Do we actually know that HFC didn’t do their due diligence on McRae ?

In the opinion of many, not saying it’s the correct opinion, we had the 2 best candidates sitting in our coaches box.
We would have known the quality of the 2 of them better than anyone.
Some would know Fly better than us, but we know Mitch better than anyone.
Hence why I say we know the 2 best

Major organisations still test the market to ensure that the candidate is the right one. As I mentioned earlier the process we have followed is the same as the Lions, * and Collingwood and all three of those failed. Why do we sit back and call those clubs idiots and then excuse our Board for following that exact same process?

The bloke hasn’t coached a game . How about you let him have a few years in the chair like the others you mentioned before any discussion about it being a good or bad decision. Deal?

The bloke hasn’t coached a game . How about you let him have a few years in the chair like the others you mentioned before any discussion about it being a good or bad decision. Deal?
I've said it before, this isn't about Sam. It is about the Board. A clear lack of process and poor governance can't be excused because people like the outcome. I don't want my club becoming run so poorly that it puts us at risk again. There may not be an Ian Dicker to save us again.

I've said it before, this isn't about Sam. It is about the Board. A clear lack of process and poor governance can't be excused because people like the outcome. I don't want my club becoming run so poorly that it puts us at risk again. There may not be an Ian Dicker to save us again.
As I said, how do you know the board didn’t due their due diligence ?

We haven't done the same thing as any of those other clubs, Sam Mitchell has actually experienced assistant coaching at another club and at this one, and spent a year in charge of his own VFL side. Three years at 2 clubs and different levels of coaching. Voss had 1 year, Hird had 0 and Buckley only really had 1 before the handover year of 2011. They're only comparable in terms of being great players for those clubs.

You can talk all you want about due process and "testing the market" - which would have been exactly what we did when we, you know, hired Macrae as an assistant? Fact of the matter is that we brought Mitchell back with the express purpose for developing him in this role. Would argue that letting Mitchell go after bringing him back prior to his contract ending at West Coast would be the opposite of the good governance you're talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't done the same thing as any of those other clubs, Sam Mitchell has actually experienced assistant coaching at another club and at this one, and spent a year in charge of his own VFL side. Three years at 2 clubs and different levels of coaching. Voss had 1 year, Hird had 0 and Buckley only really had 1 before the handover year of 2011. They're only comparable in terms of being great players for those clubs.

You can talk all you want about due process and "testing the market" - which would have been exactly what we did when we, you know, hired Macrae as an assistant? Fact of the matter is that we brought Mitchell back with the express purpose for developing him in this role. Would argue that letting Mitchell go after bringing him back prior to his contract ending at West Coast would be the opposite of the good governance you're talking about.
We are just going to have to disagree on this one. I think our Board have partly panicked and done exactly the same as the aforementioned clubs, yes with an assistant with slightly more experience but essentially the same process.

We are just going to have to disagree on this one. I think our Board have partly panicked and done exactly the same as the aforementioned clubs, yes with an assistant with slightly more experience but essentially the same process.

Because that's what you want to believe.

Interviews are for people YOU DON'T KNOW

They have a hour to show you their shit on a powerpoint, and say impressive things. And you hope it's a good reflection of what they do with real people in real situations.

If you actually know the person, and know what they bring, you've also had a chance to stack this up against all the other coaches you know, and have interviewed over the years. And you don't have to hope it's real; you've seen first hand that it's real.

If they chose Sam, I think 'panic' is the LAST reason he was chosen. They'd seen enough not to make him jump through hoops in the hope that Joe X might have a better powerpoint.

Last edited:

Didn't we bring back Mitchell on Clarko's request?

Didn't Clarko go to the board as say 'What's the plan, we might lose Sam to the Pies but I thought he'd take over from me one day'?

Does seem based on what was out in the public that this wasn't the board's doing. I can only base my belief on what I've read and heard in the media. I know there's supposedly another story of Clarko being difficult or 'something' happened but unless people are actually prepared to 'tell the real story' then I will always stick to the board panicked, didn't due a proper process and placed a guy in the position of a club legend that seems to be kicked to the curb and blamed for everything on the way out the door (so why would you then take Clarko's advice and promote Sam).

BTW, I'm happy with Sam, there's the Clarko success tree we all know (Beveridge, Hardwick, Simpson) and maybe we kept the best of the lot for ourselves.

I think Jeff's ego drove us to where we are today and he seized the opportunity to finally be rid of Clarko, which I don't think is good governance that Jeff so dearly thinks he's the poster child for.

They have a hour to show you their sh*t on a powerpoint, and say impressive things. And you hope it's a good reflection of what they do with real people in real situations.

If you actually know the person, and know what they bring, you've also had a chance to stack this up against all the other coaches you know, and have interviewed over the years. And you don't have to hope it's real; you've seen first hand that it's real.

If they chose Sam, I think 'panic' is the LAST reason he was chosen. They'd seen enough not to make him jump through hoops in the hope that Joe X might have a better powerpoint.
This is really well put and totally resembles reality from my own personal experience

This is really well put and totally resembles reality from my own personal experience

I don't think the board panicked about Sam becoming senior coach. I think they panicked with the timing when they realised based on Clarko going to them and saying 'We might lose Sam to Collingwood, I've been blooding him to be my successor, what would you like to do'.

Sam's in the building, everyone sees his work, he's the best man for the job but somehow the board weren't aware there was a succession plan loosely in place put there by Clarko.

They have a hour to show you their sh*t on a powerpoint, and say impressive things. And you hope it's a good reflection of what they do with real people in real situations.

Fair enough they had seen enough of Sam, but if Clarkson hadn't forced their hand would they have gone through a different process? Given how it all played out, how quickly they moved and the mess of the transition I'd say there was some panic involved.

Fair enough they had seen enough of Sam, but if Clarkson hadn't forced their hand would they have gone through a different process? Given how it all played out, how quickly they moved and the mess of the transition I'd say there was some panic involved.
I suspect the opposite.

I think they had a close look at two coaches working underneath them, Clarko and Mitchell, and thought, "Which of these two is the guy for the next 5-10 years"...and as the process was brought forward, the choice was made.

I suspect the opposite.

I think they had a close look at two coaches working underneath them, Clarko and Mitchell, and thought, "Which of these two is the guy for the next 5-10 years"...and as the process was brought forward, the choice was made.
Fair enough. I just think it is poor diligence to not test the market.

I suspect the opposite.

So you're saying no panic and they were assessing Sam to take over from Clarko as Sam was walking out the door and into Collingwood right under their noses.

Please don't give our board credit for 'getting lucky'.

Anyway back to the thread topic,
there has not been much news at all about how pi55ed off hawks members are with Jeff.
We need something over the weekend if there is a board meeting on Monday, and we definitely need something before the b&f and AGM.
I just checked the AGM details and Jeff gets re-elected unopposed on the night if no other nominates for the president. I just hope those behind the scenes are gathering momentum moving to get rid of Jeff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back