Player Watch Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Howe closely this year and his work ethic was atrocious. Will need to significantly improve his rating if he plans on making our team, let alone become the next Isaac Smith.
That's just emotions taking over. I hope Seedsman does well at Adelaide, but fear he will end up like McGough and fade into the sunset playing VFL and getting delisted.
Howe has a football brain. Jesse White doesn't. Howe can take a contested mark. Jesse White can't. Howe can man up and bring the football ball to the ground. Jesse White can't. Jesse White gets the sulks and disappears from the game when things don't go his way. Howe keeps contesting even when things don't go his way.

But what about White as a relieving Ruck.

I am happy enough to get Howe, but for Seedsman AND Kennedy? A nominal late pick in a weak draft aside that seems like we over paid. I can't believe we don't end up with a second round pick as well. I think Seedsman will make us look silly and in 2 years we will be looking to trade in a player of his ilk and play a first rounder. It looks like we don't have much to give up for Aish and Treloar will cost us a draft fortune. This list build has been pretty misfired so far.

Watched Howe closely this year and his work ethic was atrocious. Will need to significantly improve his rating if he plans on making our team, let alone become the next Isaac Smith.

Can I ask why you were watching so many Melbourne games, and in particularly Howe?

Can't believe the negativity on here, everyone complains about our forward line, and then we bring in an excitement machine, full of talent (most of which would not have been captured in that failure of a club across the road), who can actually take a grab and mark, and yet people still complain.

Honestly we've given up 2 average players, Kennedy who was never going to make it in out deep midfield and Seedsman, who although as some decent attributes, has some clear deficiencies, for a player who despite his 'inconsistencies' has finished top 10 in the B&F 4 years in a row and is durable/clear best 22. Turn it up.

Kennedy will get games at Melbourne on the virtue of it being Melbourne. Won't be in the AFL system in 4 years.

Seedsman is borderline best 22, and we've replaced him with a type of player we're lacking.

Aside from maybe hoping for a lower pick, I think this is a good step forward in strengthening our list.

I am happy enough to get Howe, but for Seedsman AND Kennedy? A nominal late pick in a weak draft aside that seems like we over paid. I can't believe we don't end up with a second round pick as well. I think Seedsman will make us look silly and in 2 years we will be looking to trade in a player of his ilk and play a first rounder. It looks like we don't have much to give up for Aish and Treloar will cost us a draft fortune. This list build has been pretty misfired so far.
I find it funny that people are worried about us trading out potential players for 1 guy who looks set to be a star and another who has some runs on the board. IMO trading in Crisp, Adams, Treloar and Aish over a short period of time whilst hitting the draft and getting Moore, Degoey, Shaz, and Grundy is exactly what a rebuild should look like. We are looking at having the best under 22 talent in the league by far.

I wasn't. Must say it's a huge surprise you have no criticisms here '76.

Shouldn't be a surprise. I tend to reserve my judgement until players have played a few games for us.

Some folks might see that fence sitting. I see it as giving the lad a go.

Something that I was genuinely embarrassed and appalled about ..

... Is when Crispy was interviewed at the Copeland, and was asked what the reception from the Collingwood army was like when he joined? He answered along the lines that people were a bit unkind.

#awkward

Where are our manners? (Sorry, that's no particular dig at you)

if only everything was identical in every way then bullsh%t comparisons might mean something hey.

That wasn't my point.

I'm not implying that Howe will turn out like Travis Varcoe. Or like the last recruit we got from MFC (Simon Buckley)

In fact the only thing we can be assured of is that Howe won't be like any of them, he's embarking on his own unique journey.

My point is that he could be successful. Perhaps we should give him a chance?

When we put away Treloar and Aish we won't be picking the bones out of whether we won or lost this trade I reckon.

I tend to judge our trade and draft period at the end when all is said and done. Either we are in better shape, worse or negligible. Hine would have proceeded confident that late pick back was either sufficient for on-trade to get another done, or his eye is in a smokey likely to be available regardless.

I have no doubt we will be happy with our work this period and our list will be better.

Can someone go round to Dave's and just give him a quick medical, he's missed this one by a country mile, I sense a disturbance in the force!
Firmly focused on the Treloar deal.......rocking back and forth mumbling something about sticking Golem in a microwave and other stuff about yellow fingers and a "twistie frenzy"???

I find it funny that people are worried about us trading out potential players for 1 guy who looks set to be a star and another who has some runs on the board. IMO trading in Crisp, Adams, Treloar and Aish over a short period of time whilst hitting the draft and getting Moore, Degoey, Shaz, and Grundy is exactly what a rebuild should look like. We are looking at having the best under 22 talent in the league by far.
Best u 22 list? Are you for Real?
Moore could very well be a real star. Grundy looks very very good for a young ruckman. De Goey looks like a 200+ game very solid player and may be a fair bit better but he starts ahead on many kids due to body type. Langton will be soild. We don't have Treloar yet but if we get him we won't darft any top end talent for 2 years. We don't have anywhere near the top end u22 talent some on here fantasise about. More to the point the rebuild that started prematurely didn't reap anywhere near the bounty it was planned to. Kennedy is gone for bugger all, Broomhead has stangnated more than Seedsman who is gone, Freeman won't play a game for us and Sharenburg has a big question mark. We are basically rebuilding now like we would be if we didn't start early and just used our allotted draft picks.

Love your desperate logic..You have to go back to some other trade that looked dodgy to many at the time but happened to work out ok unexpectedly to some and then say .. this is why this trade now for 2 young players for Howe is good has potential and perhaps we should consider refraining from lambasting it just yet. Great logic sir. I bow before your debating skills.

EFA ;)

Glass half empty hey (some) fellas?
I for one think there is more upside to Howe than the seed and benken put together.
12 months ago what was said about Varcoe? apparently we were the big losers in that 3 way trade????
HINEsight is a wonderful thing.
Also, to slag Derek Hine to say he stuffed the benken pick, name one recruiter with a 100% strike rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we are not waiting another couple of years to see whether Kennedy and Seeds 'come good'. By that stage Seeds will be approaching 27 and his cheerleaders will be screaming about how we won an Anzac Medal a couple of years ago etc etc.

In terms of Kennedy he may be serviceable elsewhere. He has now been at Collingwood for 3 years and is currently not in our best 22.

If you are not making a strong impression in your first 2 years, you won't later. No different to business when u recruit staff. Holding on to these players does not make you a better team.

We will pick players in this draft and next draft and u can bet there will be one or two that will be just like Kennedy. They will get a shot and will either show something or get moved in.
If Thomas comes back in 2017 after his delisting, then there is another 'Kennedy' type to also come back.

Lists need to be rotated. You can't afford to wait hoping for a player to turn good. The cost if they don't is too big.

Glass half empty hey (some) fellas?
I for one think there is more upside to Howe than the seed and benken put together.
12 months ago what was said about Varcoe? apparently we were the big losers in that 3 way trade????
HINEsight is a wonderful thing.
Also, to slag Derek Hine to say he stuffed the benken pick, name one recruiter with a 100% strike rate.
he also stuffed the Grundy, Langdon and looks like Marsh deals as well. He struggles to find value with later picks

Are you talking this year or since Bucks grabbed the broom.
We have plenty of potential and exciting youngsters in Degoey, Crisp, Marsh, Maynard, Williams, Burger, Frost, Langdon, Grundy, Witts, Moore, Elliot, Adams, Broomhead & don't forget the BIG SHOW. Soon to add Treloar & Aish. Couple this with Pendles, Sidebottom, Reid, Greenwood, Sinclair, Cloke and future trades and we are looking strong. It's not an exact science and some will obviously perform and develop better than others. To suggest it's a misfired rebuild is ridiculous. BK is not upto it and Seeds has had his opportunity and TBH is soft as butter. I hope he makes it and good luck to him but I can't see it. There will be plenty more to come and go over time as we do what we need to do to build longterm success.

Given the vitriol White, who cost us bugger all unlike Howe, receives it's almost a certainty Howe will cop the same if not more next year.

And most of it will come from people claiming this trade a success right now.

Bookmark it.

Whatever pick we got from this deal is probably going to go to Brisbane or GWS to help them get enough points for their academy kids, as long as it's enough for them the actual pick is completely meaningless. As it stands, we did pretty much get a 3rd rounder for BK... pick 68, did you miss that bit?

Sorry I didn't see the joke, hehe.
Bit of faux outrage perhaps I should've made it clearer, the underwhelmed part next time I'll say "meh".

I didn't miss the 68 bit, as i said would've liked a pick around 45-55 in the third, 68 is a fourth round pick, not sure how you can say otherwise. Now would we have got it, probably not. It's just what I think is fairer value.
Yes, pick 68 will probably be sent to GWS or maybe even used to upgrade Frost. (Yes I understand the picks they had/have)

Now how about you don't reply to my posts, as I've asked previously, I don't like you, how hard is not to reply for you? I know I'm a fascinating person & you're hoping that maybe it will rub of on you but it's a bit sad.

Now before you say, "put me on ignore" as you have said in the past. I'd like to point out that while I can't see your posts, it doesn't solve the problem of you actually posting to me, strange I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty, the fact that we were so willing to give up pick 32 in this deal tells me we're AWFULLY confident about getting Aish and Treloar. So I see it as a really good thing. I also like Howe a lot too.
Of course we are. Not sure he was worth two good kids with plenty of upside

Shouldn't be a surprise. I tend to reserve my judgement until players have played a few games for us.

Some folks might see that fence sitting. I see it as giving the lad a go.

Something that I was genuinely embarrassed and appalled about ..

... Is when Crispy was interviewed at the Copeland, and was asked what the reception from the Collingwood army was like when he joined? He answered along the lines that people were a bit unkind.

#awkward

Where are our manners? (Sorry, that's no particular dig at you)

That wasn't my point.

I'm not implying that Howe will turn out like Travis Varcoe. Or like the last recruit we got from MFC (Simon Buckley)

In fact the only thing we can be assured of is that Howe won't be like any of them, he's embarking on his own unique journey.

My point is that he could be successful. Perhaps we should give him a chance?
Crisp also stated that he didn't like the steak knife reference.

To the poster above who said that the list rebuild has "misfired so far".... Come on.

De Goey, Crisp, Moore, Varcoe, Grundy, Broomhead, Adams, Greenwood, Maynard, Schaz, Langdon, Williams, Elliott (and soon to be Treloar and Aish) are all players who have been brought in under Bucks' tenure.

Don't come in here with your emotionally charged hyperbole and use it as an excuse to pot shot the club. Let's wait at least one year before we pass judgement!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back