Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

LMAO with those comparing JHF to Buckley.

Buckley was one of the greatest players to ever lace a boot, and the one season he did player in Brisbane he won the rising star and came 2nd in the BnF.

JHF was dropped and looked like a 3rd round draft pick. Buckley also was one of the most determined players of all time.

Lot to live up to Jason.
Buckley had already done an enormous amount of Senior development at Port Adelaide, 3 years of Senior Football culminating in winning the Magarey Medal (SANFL B&F) …… so really you’re comparing apples 🍎 with oranges 🍊

I agree with the points of why he'd want to play for Port, but it appears that he didn't even make a proper effort to try to a part of North Melbourne from day 1. He sooked it up before even going through the doors.
JHF won a rising star ⭐️ nomination in his first game for North …….. doesn’t sound like he was sooking it up.

Buckley had already done an enormous amount of Senior development at Port Adelaide, 3 years of Senior Football culminating in winning the Magarey Medal (SANFL B&F) …… so really you’re comparing apples 🍎 with oranges 🍊
He was 19 maybe just turned 20 when he won the Margarey medal. And 20 turning 21 @ Brisbane.

Horne-Francis was playing SANFL at a younger age, but the development programs these days are far superior then what Nathan Buckley went through, Buckley domainated a mens comp when the Crows had only just come in mind you , full of SA (AFL standard) talent.

So not really but thanks

JHF won a rising star ⭐️ nomination in his first game for North …….. doesn’t sound like he was sooking it up.

Agree with that, but I think at some point (probably halfway through the season) it seems to me he was adamant on joining Port and just decided to throw in the towel.

In hindsight, the fact they dropped him before the game against the Crows at Adelaide Oval probably was a red flag I chose to ignore (probably North knew by then he wanted out)

Admittedly I don't think about Port Adelaide that much but when I do their strong leadership and strong culture isn't the first thing that comes to mind. To be honest without looking it up I am not entirely sure who Port's captain is.
That’s probably more an indictment on your knowledge than anything else……. Port have had a history of rarely losing players to the Go Home factor (unlike their far richer cross town rivals) and this is despite absolutely shocking times on and off the field when Port’s license was held by the SANFL (and they dished out the Worst Stadium Deal in the History of the World)…….. They have had a long history of having an influence in the AFL. Senior Coaches, Football Managers, Fitness Coaches , the list goes on …….. extraordinary when you consider they’ve only been in the AFL 26 years.

We need to get rid of the 3 feeder clubs that nobody supports and nobody wants to play for.
The league really needs to do away with GC, GWS and North
Bring in Tassie
16 teams.
One premiership in 25 years.. being an apparent non-feeder club (famous for tarps) hasn’t helped much with on-field success in the big-boys league, has it?

You can be homesick, but it's a 2 year contract, not hard to tough it out
It’s not easy when you’ve had 4 coaches since you were drafted and you still aren’t sure who’s coaching next year.…. the team you’re in is getting flogged every week…… fickle supporters are blaming you (an 18 yo, first year player) for not doing enough…….. and the future doesn’t look any better, including the rumour that your team could be relocated to Tasmania.

One premiership in 25 years.. being an apparent non-feeder club (famous for tarps) hasn’t helped much with on-field success in the big-boys league, has it?
Big boys like Essendon and Collingwood who also have won 1 Premiership in the last 25 years? Or Carlton who have zero in that time frame.? Are they the Big Boys you are referring to?

He's the guy who we picked as a first-round pick. Left at the end of 2012 after 2 years and North offered pick 38 which we refused thinking we could get him to re-sign but he went to the draft. Averaged the same 16.5 disposals JHF did in his first year but from memory he had concussion issues and his career was cut short at around the 100-game mark. Just another one of those do as we say not as we do moments. Like poaching Greenwood from a bottom team. Like targeting Hunter Clark in contract. Like offering a big contract to Polec and throwing around 1mil dollar deals to whoever was the new 'best thing' in town. But don't touch our Jason, that would be unfair.
…… and Jacob’s first year….. he didn’t play at all due to glandular fever…….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big boys like Essendon and Collingwood who also have won 1 Premiership in the last 25 years? Or Carlton who have zero in that time frame.? Are they the Big Boys you are referring to?
Or is it St Kilda who are at 56 years and counting…….. Geelong had to wait 42 years between flags….. Richmond 27 years…… and so on

Funny, with a single edit I could use that same line about North Melbourne and the other 17 AFL clubs.

I'm getting second hand embarrassment knowing how much of a zinger you thought that was lol

Nathan missed out on 3 premierships including being on the losing end of two of them against his old team, let’s hope he continues the trend
Actually he was on the record for saying before he went to Brisbane “that he only wanted to go to a team that could win a Premiership “…… gospel !!! ……. He could’ve returned to SA with the Crows under their expat allowance, he could have returned to Port Adelaide from where he was drafted under those expat allowances, he could have remained at Brisbane. ….. He was stiff…… Those Clubs won 6 Premierships in his time and he never won any.

He would have done the same thing regardless of who drafted him. He was always going back to South Australia the moment he was drafted by a non-South Australian team.
Probably not….. a strong Club with on field leadership and off the field nurturing would probably have got a ten year star player. It could have been Sydney, Richmond, Geelong or West Coast. JHF is a genuine talent and as hard as a cats head, IMO of what I’ve seen, he will be a very, very good player.

The JHF story has a lot of similarities to Nathan Buckley

1) Nathan drafted to the bears but never wanted to be there
2) Nathan had the pies lined up on better dollars
3) Nathan demand the players around him at the bears to be professional and hold up high standards

4) Nathan moved on and is arguably one of the best players the AFL has seen

The question is, will JHF become a Nathan Buckley or not
Or Will North become Threepeaters to Port’s two time GF losers?

I’m glad his step dad is happy. He sounds like a top bloke.
Well…… a matter of fact Fabian Francis is a top bloke. ……. I suppose you’re going to spew forth some diatribe at the now archaic discredited case against him brought by a now disgraced, sacked Policewoman who he was married to up until 2007. Well that was put out in the garbage where it belonged. But I’m sure when you meet Fabian and see his happiness….. you can always chat about it.

Those comparing JHF to Buckley are waaay off. Buckley informed the Bears upfront that he would only play there for a year, he would leave at the end of his 1 year contract. In that one year though, he busted his arse and earned the respect of his coach Walls and his team mates. Walls has said that Buckley was ultra professional and helped drive standards at the Bears.

The same can't be said for Cletus the pea hearted tossbucket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back