JJ Yes or No?

Is JJ doing enough to keep his spot?

• Yes

Votes: 92 74.2%
  • No replace him with Dear or Himmelberg

Votes: 32 25.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you do it over 4 years and post the stats out of interest? Was it close based just on the 2017 season for most of those stats or was Dixon a long way in front?

And was there anything that JJ came out in front in the 2017 season over Dixon?
No I’m not going to do it over 4 years, if you’re that interested you can do it yourself. I can’t see that it would be relevant given we are talking about Dixon v Jenkins in 2018 and the most recent form line is 2017.

The areas I outlined Dixon had him covered easily. There were others that were line ball I didn’t mention and Jenkins had him easily covered in hit outs and uncontested possessions.

No I’m not going to do it over 4 years, if you’re that interested you can do it yourself. I can’t see that it would be relevant given we are talking about Dixon v Jenkins in 2018 and the most recent form line is 2017.

The areas I outlined Dixon had him covered easily. There were others that were line ball I didn’t mention and Jenkins had him easily covered in hit outs and uncontested possessions.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=2&type=T&pid1=3612&pid2=3547&fid1=C&fid2=C

I'd say by these Jenkins is the better value.

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that JJ was injured last year, and had several games either dropped or recovering from the injury. JJ's tally last year could have been similar to the goals he kicked in 2016 if he wasn't injured.
Anyway, this is just getting silly comparing JJ to Dixon, both playing different roles and different sorts of gameplan.

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that JJ was injured last year, and had several games either dropped or recovering from the injury. JJ's tally last year could have been similar to the goals he kicked in 2016 if he wasn't injured.
Anyway, this is just getting silly comparing JJ to Dixon, both playing different roles and different sorts of gameplan.
I used averages, so there goes part of your theory and he returned fit to play didn’t he?

It is a silly comparison, one is a KPF who plays like a KPF, the other is a KPF who doesn’t. Last week he did, let’s hope he continues to play like that.

I agree, what people judge on is their more recent form. A season or so ago Dixon couldn’t get a kick and Jenkins was carving it up. Hopefully Jenkins continues to play like he did last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The way he played last week, is that how he has played throughout his career?

Thanks. That's a good honest comparison between the 2. I think it shows that the people acting liked it was absolutely crazy to say JJ was as good as Dixon are wrong at least. Those stats cover a lot of different areas.

And tbh it's pretty close in most with JJ coming out I front for most, even one percenters. Not surprised to see Dixon ahead for contested possessions and JJ ahead for uncontested possessions. The frees for and against is an interesting one to me as well, because if I were a port fan all the frees Dixon gives away would annoy me, and I knew that before looking at the stats, they just back it up.

Interesting stuff.

And against Daniher I think it shows JJ is well and truly worthy of comparison, again coming out ahead for most . Especially for inside 50s, he's double daniher, showing he doesn't just stay inside the 50 and out the back like he is accused of doing,and he's double for hit outs, showing he provides more relief in the ruck, which is another string to JJs bow when compared to daniher. JJ is double daniher for tackles as well. Not much daniher has JJ covered in at all tbh except for marks which is expected as daniher is Essendons one key target up forward, and even that's even, but with daniher playing 20 less games.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...layerStatus2=A&tid2=2&pid2=3547&fid2=C&type=T

Happy to stick with my order of preference being JJ, Dixon, daniher even more so after looking more closely at the stats and not just going off gut feel of the game.

Last edited:
And against Daniher I think it shows JJ is well and truly worthy of comparison, again coming out ahead for most . Especially for inside 50s, he's double daniher, showing he doesn't just stay inside the 50 and out the back like he is accused of doing,and he's double for hit outs, showing he provides more relief in the ruck, which is another string to JJs bow when compared to daniher. JJ is double daniher for tackles as well. Not much daniher has JJ covered in at all tbh except for marks which is expected as daniher is Essendons one key target up forward, and even that's even, but with daniher playing 20 less games.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...layerStatus2=A&tid2=2&pid2=3547&fid2=C&type=T

Happy to stick with my order of preference being JJ, Dixon, daniher even more so after looking more closely at the stats and not just going off gut feel of the game.

That's surprising. Daniher is an enigma. On his day brilliant. On an off day , would not hit the side of a barn.
With JJ and Dixon there's a years age difference so going forward it will be interesting. Dixon has tons of talent but to me is just so dumb. Example is that kick against Geelong and not understanding shot clock. He gives so many frees away and his kicking accuracy is poor.

I reckon Charlie's contract is a fair bit bigger, and output is much the same on balance.

Both good players that offer different things

How does “we aren’t Port” help with anything? If you want to know who is a better ruck, watch Ports win over Sydney and the part Dixon played.

So Jenkins has Dixon covered as decoy? I’ll give you that one.

You keep referring to Jenkins movement, this would assume he had Dixon covered in metres gained and inside 50s? Wrong, Dixon had him covered in inside 50s and line ball in metres gained. It might be easier for you if I just list all the areas Dixon had Jenkins covered in:

Marks, including contested and inside 50 marks
Disposals
Tackles
Inside 50s
Contested possessions
Score involvements
Intercepts

As for your last paragraph, “how do we know”. We know because you need to actually listen to Jenkins and he’ll tell you what his weaknesses are and what he needs to get better at.

May have to check your stats. Do we go off last year, there Careers? the times when they both play as the 2nd tall Forward.
Last year was Dixon best year ever. as the number 1 key Forward. and it was a big year and in some cases the only year Dixon has beaten JJ in some of the areas you mention.
Stats are funny that way. Career-wise. JJ is in front with Disposals, Inside 50's, Marks inside 50, total marks, Goal assists, Score involvements, 1%. And to be honest most of their stats are close, Marks inside 50, Goals assist, Disposals, Score involvements, Contested Marks and Tackles. (all within .5) And 2017 was the first time Dixon actually better JJ in a lot of these areas.

Dixon a very good fit for Port and their setup today, but he struggled when Shultz was playing. He has a history of struggling when there is another key tall Forward in the mix. Some Forwards are like that They need to be the number 1 focus in order to play well.
How will he play in the Crows set up with Walker?

On every level? Ok how about:

Contested marking
Creating an aerial contest
Creating opportunities for his smaller players
Aggression
Defensive pressure
Tackling
Ruckwork
Playing like a KPF
You omitted - giving away 50ms and at least 4 goals per game for being a dickhead thug flog.:)

You omitted - giving away 50ms and at least 4 goals per game for being a dickhead thug flog.:)
Yeah, if any of the Dixon is better than JJ camp I hope they are watching today’s match. Dropping marks he should be taking, missed a goal he should of kicked and given away a 50. If he played for us the no camp for JJ heads would be exploding right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, if any of the Dixon is better than JJ camp I hope they are watching today’s match. Dropping marks he should be taking, missed a goal he should of kicked and given away a 50. If he played for us the no camp for JJ heads would be exploding right now.
That’s a pretty big camp, so someone is bound to be watching

Had a few soft moments tonight.

I got frustrated in the second when he missed a mark on the wing that resulted in them getting a goal.

But on the whole he was decent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Low on possessons but had decent impact.

Maybe he is turning a corner.

And Franklin didn't kick any goals until the last 10 minutes of his game, guess he's shit tier too right?
You’re the one telling the story, you tell me? Did you like the play on handball Daniher did from the goal square that went down the other end for a goal that cost them the game and laughed about afterwards? Lol

Jenkins was soft as butter again, knew he couldn't back it up.
This is a automated post, regardless of performance...

Remove this Banner Ad

JJ Yes or No?

Back