Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there anywhere to watch the replay?
Yeh, Foxtel if you've got it.
If Curnow played even a half decent game today we win that.

He had the O'Shea affect today, where he was actually his overall input would be a minus on the team for being on the field.
Don't worry, he'll run himself into form. Maybe just saving himself for the real thing.:D

It felt strange watching a game against Collingwood without being too focused on the result. A win would have been nice, but not getting blown away & not suffering injuries were the priority.

The performance of our tall forwards in the 1st half was quite disappointing, regularly behind their opponents & no real effort being made to come at the ball. Finally in the 3rd quarter this changed, strangely enough with Gibbons being the first forward to actually lead at the ball.

Harry finished up with 3 goals & continues to demonstrate why he will eventually be our most productive tall forward as far as goalkicking goes. His fluent kicking technique will ensure he capitalises on his opportunities. Charlie on the other hand really needs to go back to the basics when it comes to his kicking for goal. He seems to want to kick around the corner, Buddy style, which is resulting in a huge right to left swing. His ground kicking is also very sloppy at the moment. As I said after last week's game, he needs to focus on the percentages more.

The clear difference between the 2 teams' midfields is the significant experience advantage the Magpies have. I commented to my wife during today's game that our young midfielders are still somewhat focussing on finding the ball without having developed the instinct to know what to do next. Collingwood's midfielders have this instinct & therefore link up better to capitalise on getting hands on the ball & create goal scoring opportunities.

Liam Jones was an absolute ripper today. His strong reading of the play allows him to shut down many opposition forward forays. Along with this he seems to have improved his strength in 1-on-1 contests. He is definitely going to be an important cog in our defence this season.

Cuningham is certainly looking more comfortable playing at senior level & he knows where the goals are, probably as good as anyone on our list. He is now a Round 1 lock.

I have found some of the discussion in relation to the Phillips v Grundy battle in the ruck to be fascinating. Grundy clearly had the better of Phillips overall, but I don't think Phillips was disgraced. When Kreuzer & Grundy locked horns in Round 3 last year, Grundy received 2 Brownlow votes. Grundy is definitely in the upper echelon of AFL rucks & will show up most other AFL rucks.

Overall, I think if we stick to what we have been doing during this pre-season we are going to be quite competitive during the home & away season & win games that we won't be expected to win. There is quite a bit to be optimistic about.

I’m pretty sure I was talking about his jumping and hit outs. **** the round the ground stuff at the moment. Who knows what kind of preparation he’s had in terms of fitness. He may have had a strong session day before yesterday. He may have been kept on the ground to build fitness and endure. He was great at centre bounces. Particularly the last.
So what are you arguing? We just want Kreuzer fit to play round 1 because of the around the ground game.

LD a serious question - how did we get within 4 points while playing poorly and having 110 less possessions?

Better conversion (bar some gettable shots in the last quarter), and had some well constructed pieces of play but were otherwise dominated in the midfield. Our defence were fantastic for the most part, and saved a number of chances. Collingwood were missing important players in their forwardline, which was a big factor.

There were long stretches in which we were ineffectual, and then everything would click in 5 minute bursts.

We’re going to be hard to stop when we get rolling, and our forwards develop some cohesion. In past years we’d be out of it if Curnow had a bad game, but McKay is going to another level again.

We will beat some good teams this year IMO.

Got impatient and signed up for a Kayo free trial.

Quality commentary as usual - did anyone else know Cripps is tall?
exactly - seems the only reason cripps succeeds is because of his size - the end - cheers, roosy.........

We were +1 in inside 50s, despite their over-possessing of the football. Not a disaster by any means.

Great that someone said it. Afl website getting all excited about Collingwood players with their huge possession counts and fantasy points (derived largely from possession count.)

Given that we won the i50, scoring shots and almost the game, wouldn't someone actually paying attention conclude that the Pies massively overpossessed the ball for little result?

Didn’t get to see the game- Settter only had 13 possessions and 4 tackles.

What did I miss???

He kicked a pretty snazzy goal and generally positioned himself well. When he's near the contest he'll have real impact once he starts to get his confidence back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great that someone said it. Afl website getting all excited about Collingwood players with their huge possession counts and fantasy points (derived largely from possession count.)

Given that we won the i50, scoring shots and almost the game, wouldn't someone actually paying attention conclude that the Pies massively overpossessed the ball for little result?

Turns out we were +3 in that stat, along with being +9 in clearances! Our young mids can get their hands to the football but the understanding of what to do next and where teammates are/will be is going to take time. The best at this right now are Cripps, SPS and Walsh, these guys have tremendous spatial awareness.

Dow is a work in progress, Fisher too has been quite tunnel-visioned of late. Setterfield will be in the group above with added fitness, but he has been prone to the rushed kick somewhat.

He kicked a pretty snazzy goal and generally positioned himself well. When he's near the contest he'll have real impact once he starts to get his confidence back.

Pretty sure he sat out the 3rd quarter and had limited minutes in the last.

Makes his possessions count, and very good with the one percenters.

Let’s face it, he’s coming off a knee reco, had barely any pre-season, only started contact drills after Christmas and he’s still a skinny kid.

He’s miles ahead of where I thought he’d be.

The biggest issue from Today's game is Marc Murphy. He butchers it way way too often. You saw Collingwood mids punishing us with their inside 50, whilst Murphy punished us with his turnovers. I really think he's a liability.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

........................yeah Murphy is the biggest issue

Loved seeing SPS out there. Fish had a better game but was rushed early. Walsh did great things. Thought Dow keeps getting better.

Setterfield, McGovern (until last quarter) and Gibbons were very quiet.

Charlie was very rusty. Ed whilst not rusty, was quiet.

I didn't mind Polson's game. Nothing amazing, but seemed more confident, harder and moved well.

McKay mainly good.

Thought Phillips pretty well against Grundy.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought this really stuck out. So much possession for so little result. This points to a very good effort by our players to minimise the damage from their huge possession advantage.

Those critical of Phillips should see his performance in context. The money ball philosophy starts with an acceptance that no team can possess the best player for every position. The aim is instead to maximise the output you get in each role with the minimum investment of resources.

In this game we saw a backup ruckman on on bottom dollar received via a multipick trade (free)
battle hard (+5 1%ers, +1CM, halved a bunch of contests) but ultimately get outclassed (+6 HO, +13Disp at 60%, +12% TOG, nailed some big plays) by
an AA ruckman valued somewhere around 6-700K on the open market and drafted with a first round pick.

Meanwhile our young blue chip midfielders go onto win the clearances +9.

The powers that be will be comfortable with what they got from Phillips today.

The bigger concern is Kreuzer. Even if he could get out onto the park (which he can't) would he have been anything more than a marginal improvement?

I agree with the above poster, we should pursue a ruckman like Grundy hard when they are available through FA, and if we can't land them at least it will force that team to pay maximum dollar to keep them.
A fit Kreuzer is all we need. People always forget how influential he can be. They just need to manage him conservatively by playing Phillips and Lobbe when necessary.

By the time Kreuzer is done we will have TDK ready for lift off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

Back