Joel Reynolds - the EFC04 Dark Horse

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Thanks to the invention of Fox Footy (and the dull lifestyle I lead) I caught a replay of the Essendon/Geelong game from this season (Rnd 13 I think - Jobe's 1st game anyways) and saw brief glimpses of Joel Reynolds during it. A couple of thoughts came to mind:

1) He has a penetrating left foot kick - on more than 1 occasion he kicked the ball well over 40 metres and hit a target
2) He has amazing pace - he almost ran down Cat David Wojcinski after giving a head start.
3) He has a great footy brain - chose the right option a couple of times (I guess having the surname Reynolds would help that a bit).

On the negative side he was rushed in his disposal while under pressure, and was pushed off the ball a little too easy.

If he can have a massive pre-season and add some bulk to his slight frame, he could loom as a big plug to fill the Essendon speed hole.

And in an interview during the season, Sheeds commented that he would have like to groom the centre line of Winderlich, Ramanauskas and Reynolds in 2003 but didn't get a chance, so having Sheeds as your biggest fan can only help him further.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say - he seems to be forgotten in the 2004 predictions by us supporters.

Actually, I was fairly distraught when I found out that Joel was out for at least the rest of 2003! I agree that he is the speed that we have been requiring for a VERY long time (maybe even back to the days when Longy was blitzing everyone that tried to take him on?!?). And he does have the skill base- I would not be overly concerned about his skills under pressure just yet, AFL is fast and i am sure a young man like him will adjust and thrive soon.
But that future centreline (Reynolds, Rama and Winderlich), if and when they all reach their potential..... its the stuff dreams are made of!

Just cant wait to see how good Joel will be. I think he turns 19 this year so he really is just a kid. Dripping with class, pace and footy brains. He just needs to become stronger and more physical.

Mark my words - our centre line with Rama , JJ and Reynolds will be the best in the league.

God, I cant wait til 2004
And if the Koops rumours are correct - BANG! Here come the Bombers. I rate Koops very highly and anyone who saw hios game against us in rnd 6 at Subiaco will remember how he cut our mid field to ribbons.

Originally posted by Napier_Street
Mark my words - our centre line with Rama , JJ and Reynolds will be the best in the league.

I think you are getting a little bit overexcited there. They will be good, no doubt, but not the best going round. Also, is it confirmed that Rama will be fit and firing in 2004?

Obviously a question mark remains on Rama, but mark my words Cupes, our centre line is really starting to take shape - you can throw Haynes and McPhee into that mix too, or MJ or Solly, or Bully or Hirdy, and I havent even mentioned the old war horses Mercs and Joey, or the amazing potential of Walsh and Winderlich!!!

Did I mention Jobe Watson??

Anyway, you get my point

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Reynolds - the EFC04 Dark Horse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back