Joel Selwood ducking his head

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, I asked that of hoff a few posts back and was ignored - it suits bf discussion that Joel ducks or in cats supporters case he doesn't, hodge and Lewis duck, pop ducks, hawks are cheats, Mitchell is a sniper and only hawks supporters are obsessive because the hawks are afraid of meting the cats in September

Difference between Joel and the real duckers like Hodge and Lewis is that he has no interest in conning the umpires to give him a free kick.

He's as tough as nails player who does not shy away from hard contested footy so he repeatedly finds himself in situations where he's surrounded by opponents who are all waiting for him to pick up the ball and tackle him.

He's not the greatest athlete nor does he have the amazing acceleration of someone like ablett who runs away from a pack with ease. Therefore he relies on his upper body strength to break tackles because more often than not he's the one prepared to attack the footy ferociously and win it before an opposition player gets their hands on it.

In no shape or form does he stand still waiting for head high contact (like lewis) or dive into opponent's nether regions (hodge) to draw a free kick, it just the figment of the imagination of Geelong haters like yourself. And no amount of reasonable civil discussion will let you see this because of said bias.

Difference between Joel and the real duckers like Hodge and Lewis is that he has no interest in conning the umpires to give him a free kick.

Stopped reading right there

Why do you think he drops the shoulder

... to play on? I don't see him stop waiting for the umps to blow the whistle( i.e. hodge and lewis) which is what cheats do. He just continues on full steam ahead. Those are not the actions of someone who is trying to con a free kick.

I don't see why not stopping and and waving his arms around has anything to do with whether he is playing for a free or not. In fact I think he gets the benefit of doubt from umpires more because he doesn't dramatise the contact like some others do. If the intention was to break the tackle then dropping or ducking make that less likely. He has power through his body and that's why he can break a tackle. The ducking and dropping is a tactic. Dermie draws attention to it because he knows his club will need everything going for it to beat Geelong - including the umpires.

... to play on? I don't see him stop waiting for the umps to blow the whistle( i.e. hodge and lewis) which is what cheats do. He just continues on full steam ahead. Those are not the actions of someone who is trying to con a free kick.

Footage of hodge and Lewis stopping and waiting for the whistle to blow will go a long way to me being able to support your statement

For the record, Joel lifts the arms, drops the shoulder and the knees to instigate high contact NOT to play on

I've lost almost all respect for Joel Selwood, he's a guy I looked up to just a few years ago for his toughness and tenacity. But I can't respect someone who just basically tries to cheat at every stoppage by ducking his head, dropping his knees, diving forward, raising the shoulder/elbows.

For any of you half wits that say 'Lindsay Thomas does the same thing' yes I agree and I don't have any respect for him either, the difference which annoys me is that Selwood was a player that I modeled my game on being a small midfielder myself, but I just can't anymore for a guy that exploits the rules so much.

Footage of hodge and Lewis stopping and waiting for the whistle to blow will go a long way to me being able to support your statement

For the record, Joel lifts the arms, drops the shoulder and the knees to instigate high contact NOT to play on

I'm sorry that the moment someone lays a finger on Joel he doesn't say to himself "Yep, they've caught me so I'm just gonna let'em wrap me up until the umps blow the whistle and ping me for holding the ball".

Everybody else can legally try getting out a tackle but not Joel, no siree. He cheats by breaking tackles that lead to him being collected high hence such a rule should not be allowed for him to do. The umps have to protect the soft tacklers who are to feeble to make a tackle stick, they're the priority here. Gotcha.

When players get tackled they generally try to break the tackle and disposed the ball if they can't break free.

When players tackle the hips are arms this makes it more difficult to both break free of the tackle and dispose of the ball. ( good tacklers like Thyril do this)

When the tackle is placed at shoulder height the easiest way to get out of the tackle is to use your upper back and shoulder strength to shrug the tackle.

This is exactly what Joel Selwood does.

Why is it his problem that the tacklers apply poor technique?

Joel has every right to evade the tackle so he can quickly move the ball.

Why should be be attacked for using his strength? Are stronger players all cheats for using their technique?

If a forward says "I play to the rules and they allow me to hold my ground using strength" are they then admitting they cheat? This is how you are all interpreting what Joel said.

The hysteria over this is hilarious and highlights how easily people can be manipulated like sheep by the media.

It's quite sad actually.

Again. No evidence has been posted showing Joel ducking. In fact a couple of videos have actually proved point. Thanks

I'm sorry that the moment someone lays a finger on Joel he doesn't say to himself "Yep, they've caught me so I'm just gonna let'em wrap me up until the umps blow the whistle and ping me for holding the ball".

Everybody else can legally try getting out a tackle but not Joel, no siree. He cheats by breaking tackles that lead to him being collected high hence such a rule should not be allowed for him to do. Gotcha.

Waiting for that footage

The rest of your post is garbage and not even related to what was being discussed
You talk bias and jealousy from others but can't even acknowledge the reason behind the technique selwood uses

Waiting for that footage

The rest of your post is garbage and not even related to what was being discussed
You talk bias and jealousy from others but can't even acknowledge the reason behind the technique selwood uses
Look at your avatar:eek: .....Gibson is dropping his shoulder....and not even being tackled....:D

The reason is he doesn't wanna get wrapped up and wants to play on to get away from his opponent or pass the ball to a teammate by hand or foot? I'm assuming we're talking about the professional level of the sport and not the kiddie Touch Footy version.

FFS this isn't rocket science, I repeat Joel does not wait looking around for the umps to blow the whistle and pay him a free, he just keeps going like the fair tough uncompromising extractor that he is.

No the question is, what the hell do you want him to do? Just give the ball up whenever his opponent lay a finger on him as if they were playing Touch Ball? FFS. :rolleyes:

I've lost almost all respect for Joel Selwood, he's a guy I looked up to just a few years ago for his toughness and tenacity. But I can't respect someone who just basically tries to cheat at every stoppage by ducking his head, dropping his knees, diving forward, raising the shoulder/elbows.
Talk about gross exaggeration. So you have lost respect for Joel Selwood for the following reasons which I have listed in the same order raised by you:

He "cheats" at every stoppage.
He ducks his head.
He drops his knees.
He dives forward,
He raises his shoulders / elbows.

How about you give us example of each and every one of the above claim?

Joel has every right to evade the tackle so he can quickly move the ball.
Absolutely. However, when he does it by dropping or ducking he shuold not receive a free kick for causing a tackle that started legal to slip up. He (and it isn't just Selwood) should just get the same as anyone being tackled to dispose legally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO selwood doesn't so much duck his head but he does allow tackle to take him on upper arm and then lift his arms as if trying to get them clear of the tackle to dispose of the ball. This causes tacklers arms to slip onto his shoulder. Most players lift arms before being tackled so ball is free to dispose. Selwood does help the motion / action at times by also lowering at the knees.

While this all helps him win free kicks the more dangerous action that is now prevalent in AFL is players actually ducking their head down and running into oppositions players to draw a high contact free. If you see the footage of the Casey Tutungi incident you will see how innocuous the contact can seem yet still have devastating results when you lead with your head. (FYI not saying Casey did this but it was basically the same contact players get when they drop head and run at players).

For any of you half wits that say 'Lindsay Thomas does the same thing' yes I agree and I don't have any respect for him either, the difference which annoys me is that Selwood was a player that I modeled my game on being a small midfielder myself, but I just can't anymore for a guy that exploits the rules so much.

This!
Couldnt have said it better myself!
At the end of his career what he should be remembered for is being a brillaint player, but he wont. He will be remembered as a ducker, as a cheat, as a hated person who lead the free kick count every year.
Which is a shame as he is an awesome player who shouldnt feel the need to try and get cheap kicks by free kicks.
Lost all respect for him and the times he does get hurt i have no sympathy for him. break his nose, jaw, hell even one day maybe his back and i wouldnt feel sorry for him at all.

Selwood has not caused public comment from the rules committee, unlike that cheater Jordan Lewis.

If only Lewis could actually play football, people would hate him more than anyone!

Can't beatem join them as the old saying goes!!!!

Joel will be shattered some North gomer that posts on Bigfooty has lost respect for him.Oh Joel I hope you can get on with your life after this tragic news.

I can honestly say I've NEVER lost any respect for any North players.Never respected any of them in the first place. :D

If you are looking for a serial stager you need to look closer to home.

harvey_oscar_172x115,0.jpg

This!
At the end of his career what he should be remembered for is being a brillaint player, but he wont. He will be remembered as a ducker, as a cheat, as a hated person who lead the free kick count every year.
Which is a shame as he is an awesome player who shouldnt feel the need to try and get cheap kicks by free kicks.
Lost all respect for him and the times he does get hurt i have no sympathy for him. break his nose, jaw, hell even one day maybe his back and i wouldnt feel sorry for him at all.

While I don't like the number of frees he receives and why he receives them, it's pathetic that you think that's how he will be remembered. No one can doubt that he is a superb, uncompromising superstar of the game who leads from the front. I say that and I ****ing hate the cats

While I don't like the number of frees he receives and why he receives them, it's pathetic that you think that's how he will be remembered. No one can doubt that he is a superb, uncompromising superstar of the game who leads from the front. I say that and I ******* hate the cats
This ! To borrow a word used by Adz2332,

While I don't like the number of frees he receives and why he receives them, it's pathetic that you think that's how he will be remembered. No one can doubt that he is a superb, uncompromising superstar of the game who leads from the front. I say that and I ******* hate the cats

Simple fact is no matter how well he plays week in week out, again no doubting his talent, it always comes back to threads like this. Why because this is what people remember him already by, and all they talk about.
Its just the way it is. a neg is always more remembered then a whole lot of positives! Human nauture.
It will be jeez Selwood was bloody good. Sure was but geez he played for free kicks to much, hated him for that!

This!
Crikey get out the violin boys and lighten up a bit!;)

Why do you think he drops the shoulder

To do his job and avoid being tackled?

Think of it this way, if the umpires stopped paying free kicks every time he was collected high while ducking (which I have no problem with), he would still get out of a lot of tackles and break free with his technique.

If you are looking for a serial stager you need to look closer to home.

harvey_oscar_172x115,0.jpg

Harvey cops plenty of shit.
Thomas cops plenty of shit.

I don't see 20 North supporters running into every thread when it's mentioned.

If Selwood want's the free kicks (of course he's doing it for that reason), he has to deal with the criticism.

Of course he's a tough player, doesn't mean it's not a really ugly part to his game, you only have to watch a Geelong game in a random pub to realise 99% of the public have the same opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back