Moved Thread John Longmire vs Chris Scott - the better coach?

Who is the better coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney have had a hell of a lot less injuries than Geelong have over the years too.

I have said it before. Maybe critics need to look at how others at the club are performing, such as the questionable, bordering on incompetent performances of our medical and fitness staff, to deliver our best 22 on the field, injury free, have them avoid injury and then, if bad luck happens, then they come back within two to three weeks with no reoccurence.

I see Hawkins went down at training, meaning that we have lost at least one player from our best 22 at pre-season training every year since 2012, and no-one has that much bad luck, so I blame those whose job is to keep the list injury-free, in order to give Chris Scott the best list to work with.

We had seven of our best 22 miss at least 5 or more games last year, whereas Sydney only ever have one or two at a time, and Sydney have better depth, thanks to academies and COLA.

Every team gets injuries, it's a part of sport.

West Coast won the premiership this year missing key players. Collingwood lost the grand final by a goal and they had injuries to several players throughout the year.

Richmond had gastro when they lost the preliminary final but you won't see them using it as an excuse for losing ;)

Richmond entered the league in 1908 and yet, they have managed just 86 finals appearances during such a time span.
That's what I call hibernation. Your club goes into hiding for decades before it emerges again.

No need to act like they a great because clearly, they are not (and neither is Geelong).
Lol, clogging up finals is a Cats speciality.

Geelong have played in 18 Grand finals in 121 years, winning 9, Richmond have played in 23 winning 11 in 110 years and have beaten Geelong in 8 of our 10 finals confrontations.

Who did you say was hibernating?

Last edited:

Keep in mind Chris Scott has a higher winning percentage than any of these coaches. They win less games of football than him therefore they obviously lose more than him too.

Last edited:
With Chris Scott some people seem to be blinded by their dislike for him.....In the end I think overall he is quite a good senior coach, he is no Clarko sure, but he's certainly no Lyon or Richardson...... Yes he has to wear some criticism for our finals losses, but he also deserves alot of credit for 2011!... As you stated, we were given next to no chance in that pre-season after losing Ablett & Bomber.......Horse is very similar, he has to wear some of the criticism from the 2014 & 16 GF's, but he also deserves alot of credit for 2012.

Many inaccuracies in this post.

Many inaccuracies in this post.
Feel free to name the "inaccuracies".....BF is a forum for different opinion's afterall, but anyone can just say someone else is wrong, the better poster's outline why!

Nice melt.
How quickly you Cats forget that you have won only 9 flags in over 120 years and went 44 years flagless before your short lived drug induced era that lasted all of 5 years, your club is and has always been an irrelevance:$
Care to answer why the all powerful Richmond were overlooked when the VFL was created!?.....Your club had been around longer than the Pies in the VFA days, yet you were still not deemed worthy enough....Your club has always been treading that line of irrelevance!....Ps did you contribute to the Save our skins campaign!? :D....On topic Scott & Longmire are better coaches than Hardwick, finals wins & H&A wins can attest to that. ;)

Every team gets injuries, it's a part of sport.

West Coast won the premiership this year missing key players. Collingwood lost the grand final by a goal and they had injuries to several players throughout the year.

Richmond had gastro when they lost the preliminary final but you won't see them using it as an excuse for losing ;)

They were missing three key players, and Gaff was due to suspension.

Gastro hardly lays you up for half a season.

Lol, clogging up finals is a Cats speciality.

Geelong have played in 18 Grand finals in 121 years, winning 9, Richmond have played in 23 winning 11 in 110 years and have beaten Geelong in 8 of our 10 finals confrontations.

Who did you say was hibernating?

You have to go back 30+ years to make a point. Pathetic!

When it comes to premierships in the modern era (AFL era), Geelong smokes Richmond's ass.

Hard to split them IMO. Both have managed to keep their teams around the mark every year save for one down year each (2019, Longmire - 2015, Scott), but have often been near enough, not quite good enough since coaching their premierships....

Hard to split them IMO. Both have managed to keep their teams around the mark every year save for one down year each (2019, Longmire - 2015, Scott), but have often been near enough, not quite good enough since coaching their premierships....
At least for Longmire, "near enough, not quite good enough" has meant coaching his team to two additional GFs since the premiership. Geelong has just been routinely humiliated in finals every year since 2011. Longmire is more like Malcolm Blight at Geelong (sans the one premiership). Scott is like... whoever else in history has had his side finish in the top 3 five out of seven years and not travel interstate for 12 out of 13 finals yet basically failed to be competitive once finals hit.

Three seasons have passed since I made this thread, and the records of Longmire and Scott are now as follows.

Wins - Longmire 159, Scott 179.
Draws - Longmire 2, Scott 2.
Losses - Longmire 97, Scott 80.
Win percentages - Longmire 63%, Scott 72%.
Head to head - Longmire 9, Scott 10.
Finals wins - Longmire 10, Scott 10.
Finals losses - Longmire 11, Scott 15.
Grand finals - Longmire 3, Scott 2.
Premierships - Longmire 1, Scott 1.
Finals win percentages - Longmire 48%, Scott 40%.
Finals head to head - Longmire 1, Scott 1.
Total finals series - Longmire 8, Scott 10.

In my opinion, it's still very hard to split them, but Longmire looks to have rebuilt Sydney very quickly over two years (2019 and 2020), and if this rebuild bears fruit for Sydney, I can't see how anyone can make an argument that Scott is the better coach, especially if Longmire wins another flag as Sydney's coach, now that Sydney's rebuild looks to be complete, and Longmire prepares them for another premiership assault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

especially if Longmire wins another flag as Sydney's coach, now that Sydney's rebuild looks to be complete, and Longmire prepares them for another premiership assault.
That’s a very big “if” IMO.

We’ve just lost Jordan Dawson and George Hewitt, and beneath our No.1 ruckman, who is not young and is held together with sticky tape and string, our ruck stocks are very thin.

Three seasons have passed since I made this thread, and the records of Longmire and Scott are now as follows.

Wins - Longmire 159, Scott 179.
Draws - Longmire 2, Scott 2.
Losses - Longmire 97, Scott 80.
Win percentages - Longmire 63%, Scott 72%.
Head to head - Longmire 9, Scott 10.
Finals wins - Longmire 10, Scott 10.
Finals losses - Longmire 11, Scott 15.
Grand finals - Longmire 3, Scott 2.
Premierships - Longmire 1, Scott 1.
Finals win percentages - Longmire 48%, Scott 40%.
Finals head to head - Longmire 1, Scott 1.
Total finals series - Longmire 8, Scott 10.

In my opinion, it's still very hard to split them, but Longmire looks to have rebuilt Sydney very quickly over two years (2019 and 2020), and if this rebuild bears fruit for Sydney, I can't see how anyone can make an argument that Scott is the better coach, especially if Longmire wins another flag as Sydney's coach, now that Sydney's rebuild looks to be complete, and Longmire prepares them for another premiership assault.
Longmire has also totally reinvented himself as a coach.

I was pretty surprised at how ready the Academy kids are for the top level that came into the Sydney team.
Sydney have nearly completely refreshed the team and are competitive and have changed the style to suit.
Geelong are still trying to push back the clock that’s the big difference and what makes me think Longmire and Sydney are a little further down the road.

Chris Scott is overrated as a coach. :)

Last edited:
I was pretty surprised at how ready the Academy kids are for the top level that came into the Sydney team.
Sydney have nearly completely refreshed the team and are competitive and have changed the style to suit.
Geelong are still trying to push back the clock that’s the big difference and what makes me think Longmire and Sydney are a little further down the road.
Hate to keep bringing it up but the Swans adding Mills and Heeney when they were still a strong side, paying peanuts for both of them, really set the table for a quick rebuild. Instead of having a gaping hole in their list like Geelong the Swans had a pair of players in their mid 20's prime. Mills was the Swans best mid for large parts this year and surely their next addition to their rolling captaincy. Melbourne bid on with the picks for Petracca and Oliver, that's how highly rated those 2 were and really they're only a clean run of injuries away from reaching a similar level.

Most teams have their own advantages at times of course. The Cats flag era was aided by unbelievable father sons. And they keep bringing in experienced players keen to return to Geelong, including Jezza Cameron who's hard to say no too.

The Swans have also drafted exceptionally well with later round picks and then the academy giving them another top 5 pick in Campbell was a well time gift as well as Gulden. Funnily enough it was Geelong who bid on Gulden with pick 32. Errol would've been perfect for the Cats this year, some fresh legs and class.

Hate to keep bringing it up but the Swans adding Mills and Heeney when they were still a strong side, paying peanuts for both of them, really set the table for a quick rebuild. Instead of having a gaping hole in their list like Geelong the Swans had a pair of players in their mid 20's prime. Mills was the Swans best mid for large parts this year and surely their next addition to their rolling captaincy. Melbourne bid on with the picks for Petracca and Oliver, that's how highly rated those 2 were and really they're only a clean run of injuries away from reaching a similar level.

Most teams have their own advantages at times of course. The Cats flag era was aided by unbelievable father sons. And they keep bringing in experienced players keen to return to Geelong, including Jezza Cameron who's hard to say no too.

The Swans have also drafted exceptionally well with later round picks and then the academy giving them another top 5 pick in Campbell was a well time gift as well as Gulden. Funnily enough it was Geelong who bid on Gulden with pick 32. Errol would've been perfect for the Cats this year, some fresh legs and class.

Sydney and GWS are both set up in a way so they have the advantage of a constant stream of young talent coming through the ranks, in which they have first access to.

Geelong would have this advantage too if they had first access to Geelong Falcons players, but fortunately they don't, because the Geelong Falcons are arguably the best footy factory in the country.

Sydney and GWS are both set up in a way so they have the advantage of a constant stream of young talent coming through the ranks, in which they have first access to.

Geelong would have this advantage too if they had first access to Geelong Falcons players, but fortunately they don't, because the Geelong Falcons are arguably the best footy factory in the country.
Seems remiss of you not to mention that there is also a steady stream of young talent flowing back out to the football states.

Tom Mitchell, Jordan Dawson, Zac Jones, Toby Nankervis is a reasonably handy midfield quartet that we've lost over recent years after developing them but before they hit their prime, whilst a best 22 of ex GWS players would probably win the flag.

We have 3 players in 10 years who are academy players and gone inside the top 20.

Now your stuck with him for a long rebuild. For some reason they feel they have to have this loyalty to him
I’m not convinced he’ll be there after 3 years and I think SHocking would be more likely to sack a coach than the guy before him.

Back