Jolly and Ball... treated different in Black and White?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I noticed last night that Jolly was getting pinged for having his arms around the other ruckman... whilst they were doing the same to him?

It prompted me to look up the average stats for both Jolly and Ball for last year compared to this one.

Darren Jolly Frees against average

2009 - 1.3 per game
2010 - 3 per game (highest frees against average in his career

Luke Ball Frees for average

2009 - 1.9 per game
2010 - 0.7 (lowest frees for average in his career)

We all know that Jolly is sharing the ruckwork and therefore isn't in the play as much as he was when he was the standout ruckman at the Swans...

And Ball is obviously getting alot more gametime than he did at the Saints... yet appears to not be being infringed as much???

Have their games changed that much since coming to Collingwood?

(FWIW - there are alot of posters that will get stuck into me for this... I know. Simply put they are facts after only 3 games - yes, but they are facts.

This has been posted on the Magpies board for a discussion with Collingwood posters, I would be happier to have locked this thread for just Magpies supporters, so trolls and un-objective opposition supporters please stay out)

I was thinking the same thing, not really about Ball, but definately about Jolly. It seems to me his frustration stems not only from the fact that he is getting frees against him, but that he is bewildered that he is likely doing nothing different from how he played at Sydney, yet now he is at a new club, all of a sudden he is getting pinged for frees against that never were for him at Sydney. He must be wondering whether a rule change has come into effect or something. I don't know what it is though. I can't believe the club he plays for should make a difference.

Yeah I think Jolly is a bit bemused at how different the treatment is on the other side of the fence. Hopes he wraps his head around it soon because the umps do no favours for the pies.

I was thinking the same thing, not really about Ball, but definately about Jolly. It seems to me his frustration stems not only from the fact that he is getting frees against him, but that he is bewildered that he is likely doing nothing different from how he played at Sydney, yet now he is at a new club, all of a sudden he is getting pinged for frees against that never were for him at Sydney. He must be wondering whether a rule change has come into effect or something. I don't know what it is though. I can't believe the club he plays for should make a difference.

Me neither... but I have never seen Jolly so frustrated with the umpiring decisions as i did last night - he seemed shocked.

BTW- Yes I have watched Jolly alot at the Swans... as I live in Sydney and he has been the ruckman in my dreamteam for years.

Standards always are higher when you represent a genuine AFL powerhouse, particularly one as famous as us.

It comes with the territory.

Both players need to perform to an acceptable level and need to maintain that.

Bally was terrific last night and played the type of game we expect to see from him weekly.

Jolly needs to lift big time. Unfortunately, he needs to understand this isn't Sydney where there will be 500 stoppages. With us, stoppages aren't as plentiful as the Swans' so he needs to be able to get to all of them around the ground and contribute away from ruck contests too. So far he has been very ordinary.

Some of the free kicks against Jolly have been pathetic, they need to look at all ruck work because im constantly seeing ruckman hold each other just as Jolly did with no free kicks, i can understand his frustration!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was one which was unlucky for Jolly last night but we had the better of the umps overall, think he should seek some clarification with the umps and hold front spot at boundary throw ins.
Really three games isn't a big enough sample size to make this type of call, I think we have had the better of the umps in 2 games as well. I agree with Aussie Gun though that the umpiring has declined from last year, seems to happen every year at the beginning.

Umpiring has gone off the rails in general.
Used to play for sydney (afl's love child) Now plays for the black and white, and we all know what that means..
In saying that the umpiring this year for us has actually been fair as both ways they are paying absolutely terrible and costly decisions.. Last year on the other hand was a joke, we got nothing.

Ball 1 free for - did he get a free kick for the blood nose he had to leave the ground with?

Simply put, NO.:mad:

He was slapped across the face by a Hawks player forearm, and the umpire simply called a ball up.

Terribly strange and frustrating umpiring tonight, Ball should have had 3 holding the ball frees for, but it took the umpires 3 quarters and 20 minutes to pay a HTB at all.:thumbsdown:

Jolly is learning how to cope with the umpires now, gave away 1 or 2 tonight, down to 3 overall which is acceptable.

It almost seems to me that especially at throw ins if he doesn't get the front position straight away he pretty much concedes the contest for fear of giving away a free given what he's copped in the first few weeks.

Ruckmen from other teams and also in other games seem to hold the opposition around the waist and get no penalty. It may or may not be a Collingwood thing but Jolly needs to find a way to get in front without touching the opposition for the moment. The umpires will stop paying it soon enough but for the meantime he needs to stop giving them the opportunity to blow the whistle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jolly and Ball... treated different in Black and White?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back