Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

pick 31..but as no one actually came with a hard offer for him we just thought we would keep him
Could have made that offer to the Swans in 2012 and saved everyone an awful lot of trouble ;)

Don't bother with this thread. Adelaide supporters know that getting Dawson for anything less than a top 10 pick is a steal.

Good luck to them, id be trying to steal him as well if I was them.
Well apparently NM are going to get him for nothing, yet no one's giving them a hard time for not being fair are they?

not a single knowledgeable person in the league would say Dawson is the best wingman in the game.
Using your logic on CD ratings, Adelaide could get a top 5 pick for Ben Keays.
You may or may not have noticed that the CD ratings are actually heavily stack towards midfielders and rucks who are in the thick of the action (and probably rightly so in some sense). It's a testament do Dawson's ability that he can have that high and impact without being an inside mid. Dawson didn't play exclusively on the wing anyway, was at half back most of the season then moved to wing but has shown ability as a forward/half forward too.

Keays is developing into an excellent and impactful player for the crows, only thing lacking is disposal efficiency. I bet you wouldn't think Laird nor Keays for pick 17 would be near fair even if they were out OOC. Jordan Clark (sure young and contracted) but ultimately not needed fringe player going for pick 19-22 vs 17 for Dawson top 3 player at Swans offered huge 5 year contract by seller and buyer.

Well apparently NM are going to get him for nothing, yet no one's giving them a hard time for not being fair are they?
It's an entirely different scenario. North would be benefitting from us not being able to get a trade done, they wouldn't have actively sought out walking Dawson to the PSD, as some Crows fans are suggesting.

I don't think he gets walked to the PSD anyway. I think some Swans fans have just had a gutful. We signed 2 players in 2 seasons and got hit with a trade ban, despite not breaking any rules. Then you look at how many players clubs like St Kilda, Essendon, and Carlton have brought in over the last few seasons, and the AFL doesn't bat an eyelid. Meanwhile, we've had about a dozen players leave via trades since then, for the most part completely below their value. Then the club dares to ask for what it thinks is fair value for Dawson, and apparently they're negotiating in bad faith. It's a ****ing joke.

Whatever. There is a clear market for uncontracted players of Dawson's quality.

Saad and Cerra both top ten picks. Hill, contracted, top 10 pick.

All comparable quality. Stop acting like you are doing Sydney a favour by offering Melbourne's pick.

Maybe Adelaide refuse to go any higher and get Dawson for nothing in the PSD. But stop the patronizing nonsense that you wouldnt be getting an incredible deal.

You may or may not have noticed that the CD ratings are actually heavily stack towards midfielders and rucks who are in the thick of the action (and probably rightly so in some sense). It's a testament do Dawson's ability that he can have that high and impact without being an inside mid. Dawson didn't play exclusively on the wing anyway, was at half back most of the season then moved to wing but has shown ability as a forward/half forward too.

Keays is developing into an excellent and impactful player for the crows, only thing lacking is disposal efficiency. I bet you wouldn't think Laird nor Keays for pick 17 would be near fair even if they were out OOC. Jordan Clark (sure young and contracted) but ultimately not needed fringe player going for pick 19-22 vs 17 for Dawson top 3 player at Swans offered huge 5 year contract by seller and buyer.

awfully convenient.

as for Clark, most of his value is based on his draft position.

Clark is also contracted and no one otherthan geelongs values him that high. Freo only pay it if their desperate.
Clark’s trade value has 0 relevance to Dawsons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given this thread it seems like swans fans think Dawson is their best player... why not pay as your best and he wouldn't leave....

One of our best players. Being our offer of $600k would reflect that. At a guess, Heeney, Mills, Franklin and Parker would likely be the guys ahead of him.

Given that he would be in the top 5 paid on the crows list, why aren't they willing to pay draft picks for him? (Stupid question but couldn't resist)

One of our best players. Being our offer of $600k would reflect that. At a guess, Heeney, Mills, Franklin and Parker would likely be the guys ahead of him.

Given that he would be in the top 5 paid on the crows list, why aren't they willing to pay draft picks for him? (Stupid question but couldn't resist)

We are, because a $600k FA offer would result in a end of a first round pick to use a comparison where wage dictates the draft pick (Brad Crouch last year was at $650k).

The serious disconnect is between Sydney's monetary offer and their demands. You're trying to convince us he's an $850k-$1mil player when all you valued him at is $550k. The thing is, Sydney is right, Dawson is a $550k player.

Not only that, but really, it's very unlikely $650k is in our top 5 paid. Quite likely we've gone rather top heavy to just sneak above the 95% cap threshold considering how many kids we have on our list.

Last edited:
Ironically, we are, because a $600k FA offer would result in a end of a first round pick to use a comparison where wage dictates the draft pick.

But he isn't a FA.

Plus noting your attempt at pick 1 from north, cannot help but feel that it was for that proposed trade as opposed to Swans.

But he isn't a FA.

Plus noting your attempt at pick 1 from north, cannot help but feel that it was for that proposed trade as opposed to Swans.

He isn't, but if you're going to equate wages to draft picks, the way to do that is to compare to the actual standard the AFL has set, and that is free agency compensation.

I agree, quite likely it was, I am a tad shocked we had the kahunas for that offer.

Whatever. There is a clear market for uncontracted players of Dawson's quality.

Saad and Cerra both top ten picks. Hill, contracted, top 10 pick.

All comparable quality. Stop acting like you are doing Sydney a favour by offering Melbourne's pick.

Maybe Adelaide refuse to go any higher and get Dawson for nothing in the PSD. But stop the patronizing nonsense that you wouldnt be getting an incredible deal.
It's a shit position to be in, but that's not Adelaide's problem.

Dawson has no contract with Sydney and has chosen to leave.

People are claiming Adelaide are the bad guys for not paying up for an uncontracted player. Why should they?

awfully convenient.

as for Clark, most of his value is based on his draft position.

Clark is also contracted and no one otherthan geelongs values him that high. Freo only pay it if their desperate.
Clark’s trade value has 0 relevance to Dawsons
It provides context still.

Swans believe Dawson is the best player on the market this year and objectively/statistically they are correct. Cerra goes for pick 6 and change and has been playing largely an outside game like Dawson but does not possess Dawson's intercept, marking and disposal efficiency at the minute despite getting a similar number of disposals on average. But Cerra has upside in that he can go more inside mid in the future and is a couple of years younger - but who knows maybe Dawson can play inside too according to Laird?

Swans offered Dawson a big contract and so did Crows. Let's not pretend his form was only for half a season or that he is likely to regress from his current form - the expectation is he will keep improving he is not 30 he is 24 about to enter prime age - especially for someone who plays like a tall who usually take longer to develop than mids like Cerra. Swans and are willing to get something done under Cerra's worth perhaps due to Crow's stronger bargaining position but don't want to be fleeced by accepting something like pick 17. Why is this preposterous? North even traded decent value to get CCJ despite having PSD pick 1.

It provides context still.

Swans believe Dawson is the best player on the market this year and objectively/statistically they are correct. Cerra goes for pick 6 and change and has been playing largely an outside game like Dawson but does not possess Dawson's intercept, marking and disposal efficiency at the minute despite getting a similar number of disposals on average. But Cerra has upside in that he can go more inside mid in the future and is a couple of years younger - but who knows maybe Dawson can play inside too according to Laird?

Swans offered Dawson a big contract and so did Crows. Let's not pretend his form was only for half a season or that he is likely to regress from his current form - the expectation is he will keep improving he is not 30 he is 24 about to enter prime age - especially for someone who plays like a tall who usually take longer to develop than mids like Cerra. Swans and are willing to get something done under Cerra's worth perhaps due to Crow's stronger bargaining position but don't want to be fleeced by accepting something like pick 17. Why is this preposterous? North even traded decent value to get CCJ despite having PSD pick 1.
Just because north capitulated doesn’t mean adelaide should too. Cerra is more valuable than Dawson.

Adelaide fans will continue to hate me but seriously, I would give up pick 4 (6) for Dawson and 12 (14) every day of the week. IF pick 4 (6) turns out as good as Dawson you'd be ok with that but you get an extra pick in a range where it's incredibly even.

Seems like a no-brainer to me and I reckon if you asked every draft watcher on BF, they would say the same. That's an easy trade to make IMO and I'm not even taking into account he fact pick 6 seems to be completely bogus for whatever reason

We are, because a $600k FA offer would result in a end of a first round pick to use a comparison where wage dictates the draft pick (Brad Crouch last year was at $650k).

The serious disconnect is between Sydney's monetary offer and their demands. You're trying to convince us he's an $850k-$1mil player when all you valued him at is $550k. The thing is, Sydney is right, Dawson is a $550k player.

Not only that, but really, it's very unlikely $650k is in our top 5 paid. Quite likely we've gone rather top heavy to just sneak above the 95% cap threshold considering how many kids we have on our list.

Sydney’s original contract offer to Dawson was $600k/5yrs.

Once Dawson requested to return home, Sydney switched to offering him a 2 year contract to take him through to free agency.

As fun as all the posturing between fan bases is, the clubs will sort it out.

Crows plan from the start was to get Dawson for free, they’ve tried to exploit this situation every chance they could. Generally clubs don’t go that route
Absolutely..thats why we struck a deal for the dogs pick 17 and sydney turned it down. Then they moved on and engineered a deal for melbournes 1st round 2022 and put that on the table - rejected. Its almost like the crows have not tried and sydney have done all the heavy lifting to get a deal done :drunk:

It's a sh*t position to be in, but that's not Adelaide's problem.

Dawson has no contract with Sydney and has chosen to leave.

People are claiming Adelaide are the bad guys for not paying up for an uncontracted player. Why should they?

If I was Adelaide, I probably wouldn't.

But, if you ask any Sydney supporter if they want to keep Dawson or get pick 4 (which is clearly pick 6), they would all say Dawson.

There is an enormous gap between that and Melbourne's pick next year.

If I was Adelaide I would seriously consider just paying a fair price for the player they want. They are winning the deal regardless. Dawson should have been in the AA40 at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

Back