Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was OK. I don't like the way he's being used around stoppage. I thought he was beginning to look OK as a first possession player, but he's now positioning goal side to receive and break from the stoppage. Looks great when it works, but I don't think we're strong enough regarding first possession for that.
When we have a deeper midfield I think it’s the way to go but until then I think he has to be at the coalface.

Meryl Streep GIF by MOODMAN

I’ve been big on keeping him as I believe he’s our only match winner. Bloke can kick 4 from the midfield. However, I’ve reassessed our list. And an objective view, it’s in more trouble than I thought. We hope to be contending in 2024, but by then multiple stars will be gone and many of the rest will be the wrong side of 30. Adams, crisp, Elliot, checkers etc…. The more I look at our profile it’s more concerning. We need to load up on picks, and get a couple of 22-24 FA’s to supplement the list. If Degoey wants money, let him go. Like it or not the Grundy and Moore contracts are limiting our $ for the rest

Lol let’s just load up on picks, Melbourne, Carlton, GC and GWS have had more early picks and priority picks than anyone and outside of Melbourne they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I’ve been big on keeping him as I believe he’s our only match winner. Bloke can kick 4 from the midfield. However, I’ve reassessed our list. And an objective view, it’s in more trouble than I thought. We hope to be contending in 2024, but by then multiple stars will be gone and many of the rest will be the wrong side of 30. Adams, crisp, Elliot, checkers etc…. The more I look at our profile it’s more concerning. We need to load up on picks, and get a couple of 22-24 FA’s to supplement the list. If Degoey wants money, let him go. Like it or not the Grundy and Moore contracts are limiting our $ for the rest

Agree with the comments about the list. I don't understand the time frames that many Pies supporters are talking, partticularly as most are talking aobut building up through the draft.

It's either load up with experienced players straight away for a less than likely tilt - if we have cap space. Or it's a really long rebuild, if we try to do it mainly through the draft.

The Premiership in 5 years time will most likely be won with the biggest impact being produced by players who are already on AFL lists. Most of our current good players will be over 30 and in various states of decline or having already retired. Based on what we've already got, we'll have Daicos *2, IQ, Ginnivan, Noble, Lipinski, Mcreery and Henry in their prime and who knows with the guys not yet in the team. Most of them project to being flankers. If we try to do it through the draft, we're not in a strong position to be trying to gear up for a tilt even as early as 2027, we'd need the guys currently in the reserves to all be hits as well as finding some more early developers. To be challenging before then, we'll need to recruit experienced players.

The Moore contract makes me think we might try to load up for an early tilt, in which case Degoey is untouchable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it is very wise list management to base contract offers off of a poor couple of weeks, particularly when he's been unwell.
I’d say it’s lucky us posters aren’t in charge of the list then. But then again, with how our list management has been recently I’m actually not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

It would be agony watching him turn it on in a final for Geelong or Brisbane or worse get them over the line in a GF as he almost did for us.

You have to get over that. If Heater had won one with GWS in 2019 I would have been happy for him, and the trade for Tay would still have been the right move for us.

You have to get over that. If Heater had won one with GWS in 2019 I would have been happy for him, and the trade for Tay would still have been the right move for us.
There was enough time separating his departure before that GF and we actively dismissed him rather than simply not matching an offer from another club.

Prefer he stays, but if the offer is big enough and he is happy to go, I would not hesitate to make that deal. With the right draft picks and a bit of cap space, we could knock a couple of years of the rebuild.

Last edited:
He’s been non-existent the last two weeks post gastro. Need him to step up if we’re going to be any sort of chance against the Bulldogs.

I think there’s a fair bit of hyperbole in that. Was quieter against the Suns playing mainly forward but I think he was much better against the Tigers with more midfield time. Attended 24 of a possible 33 centre bounces and had a team high 6 clearances. Only Cotchin had more.

Prefer he stays, but if the offer is big enough and he is happy to go, I would not hesitate to make that deal. With the right draft picks and a bit of cap space, we could knock a couple of years of the rebuild.

He’s a free agent so the best we can hope for if he’s leaving is band 1 compo. I imagine he’ll get offers well beyond what we’re prepared to pay so I doubt we’d risk matching to force a trade in the hope of gaining more.

I think there’s a fair bit of hyperbole in that. Was quieter against the Suns playing mainly forward but I think he was much better against the Tigers with more midfield time. Attended 24 of a possible 33 centre bounces and had a team high 6 clearances. Only Cotchin had more.

giphy.gif

Players like JDG are rare. He is explosive and dangerous whether it be hunting the ball or playing out of the goal square.

Unless we can get Tom Green for him, we need to keep him.

I'm with you on this SS re our list position.
Almost all of our younger 'early' draft picks are still in the lets wait and see/hopeful category. Nick D the clear outlier, Henry the next best on whats been shown at AFL level, Jack G looks an inspired rookie pick.

Its been hammered on this site and everywhere else that we desperately need KP players but in 2 years times our likely midfield groups of say 7 or 8 ( including wingers) could be
Pat L 25
JDG 28
Josh D 25
Tay Adams 30
Finn 22
Reef 21
Nick D 21
Poulter 22
I'll throw in a HH at 21

Hopefully a few of these will really come through, but its doesn't look a top 4 standard mid field to me. We will have a bundle in the 21-23 age group, Nick aside, none look remotely A grade let alone elite.
We have a truck load of work to do, think we have to successfully cherry pick a quality FA and trade in the next Brodie and pinch the next Martin.
Hope, as a rule, is never enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back