Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

I agree. Personally, I would offer this, with the follow ons underneath.

Essendon will have picks 6, 7 and 8. I'd offer pick 12 and Josh Dunkley for 6 and 7. I'd then offer 6 and 7 to Adelaide for pick 1.

We will draft the best player not named Jamarra at 1, then match a bid at Jamarra (even if it means going into a deficit).

Once this was all done, I'd offer our 2021 1st round pick to Collingwood for Adam Treloar (I don't think we necessarily need him and would be happy to skip this step entirely, but there's nothing wrong with midfield depth) and a 2020 second-round pick (to help with the matching on Jamarra)

We would have:

In: Adam Treloar, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and pick 1
Out: Josh Dunkley and pick 12

Essendon would have:

In: Josh Dunkley and pick 12
Out: Pick 6 and 7

Collingwood get Adam Treloar off their books whilst also acquiring an additional first round pick next year (at the expense of a 2020 2nd)
I think we have to hold onto one first round pick though old mate. I don't mind that trade though. We'd get a reasonable player at 12 and Dunkley for Daniher and our first round pick which I think is pretty reasonable. You guys get some serious draft currency. Win/ win.

I think we have to hold onto one first round pick though old mate. I don't mind that trade though. We'd get a reasonable player at 12 and Dunkley for Daniher and our first round pick which I think is pretty reasonable. You guys get some serious draft currency. Win/ win.
You'd still have a 1st rounder for the Saad deal I think?

Plus 12 is a first round pick too! :p

Treloar won’t cost anyone a first, this year or next.

Would Essendon not be better using 6 and 7 themselves to move up the order and draft a very good kid? Or just draft 2 kid with 6 and 7 straight out.

I'd be seeing if North had an interest in say 6 & 7 for 2 - the aim being Logan McDonald.

So any first round will do? Done.
Yeah if we're on the same page and you were saying you have to use a first round pick due to the draft rules, it doesn't actually have to be the pick you acquire because of ladder position, you just have to use one in the first round at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until Josh or Pickering deny it media will keep speculating that he's on the move.

Either one of them could end it all and put this to bed

Neither of them will deny it because Pickering is the one who leaked news of the Bombers' offer to Browne. He hinted that there was some interest on their side and let the AFL media run with it to drive up Dunkley's perceived value. In reality it was Pickering who had some interest in the offer (juicy commission), not Dunkley. He instructed Dunkley to remain silent while the AFL media perpetuate the story that Dunkley is gettable, with the hopes that some more big money offers will come in; offers which provide Pickering more leverage for Dunkley's next contract extension. Unfortunately for them the AFL media have now stretched the story as far as they can before treading into dangerous territory with regard to fabrication.

Neither of them will deny it because Pickering is the one who leaked news of the Bombers' offer to Browne. He hinted that there was some interest on their side and let the AFL media run with it to drive up Dunkley's perceived value. In reality it was Pickering who had some interest in the offer (juicy commission), not Dunkley. He instructed Dunkley to remain silent while the AFL media perpetuate the story that Dunkley is gettable, with the hopes that some more big money offers will come in; offers which provide Pickering more leverage for Dunkley's next contract extension. Unfortunately for them the AFL media have now stretched the story as far as they can before treading into dangerous territory with regard to fabrication.
Or maybe, Dunkley wants to move.

Or maybe, Dunkley wants to move.

Hey I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Go grab a bottle of hand lotion and a box of tissues and open up some more of those Josh Dunkley highlight vids. You can dream for another couple of weeks :)

Hey I'm not trying to burst your bubble. Go grab a bottle of hand lotion and a box of tissues and open up some more of those Josh Dunkley highlight vids. You can dream for another couple of weeks :)
Mate, you've convinced yourself that there's no way Josh wants to move that you've created a scenario in your own head that justifies him not coming out and declaring that he has no interest in moving. I'm not the one who needs tissues dude.

Mate, you've convinced yourself that there's no way Josh wants to move that you've created a scenario in your own head that justifies him not coming out and declaring that he has no interest in moving. I'm not the one who needs tissues dude.
Whatever happens we can pop in a replay of 21 in a row. Wonder how many we can get to next time

Just a question for any dogs fans, what would dunkley be on? The media keep saying essendon have offered him an amazing deal around 650-700, I would’ve thought dunkley would be around that mark already? You’ve done well if you’ve signed him sub 600k. Doesn’t really sound like he’s hanging to get out of there, can’t see this one getting done without the bombers giving up significant overs

Whatever happens we can pop in a replay of 21 in a row. Wonder how many we can get to next time
Oh wow. You got me. I don't know how I will recover from that witty retort

Just a question for any dogs fans, what would dunkley be on? The media keep saying essendon have offered him an amazing deal around 650-700, I would’ve thought dunkley would be around that mark already? You’ve done well if you’ve signed him sub 600k. Doesn’t really sound like he’s hanging to get out of there, can’t see this one getting done without the bombers giving up significant overs
Between 500k - 550k

It didn't need to be witty. Your team's inability to football against the dogs is funny enough.
You bragged about some home and away game that wasn't even in the last season played. It's like me bragging about the 15 goal first quarter against Gold Coast 10 years ago. Nobody else cares, move on.

Between 500k - 550k
Ok so clearly it’s just about not getting the mid time that he wants, and not having to second ruck. He’s just unlucky that he’s competing with 3/4 of the better mids in the comp for that inside mid position. His flexibility has probably hurt him in the end

$500-550k is what’s been suggested. You would have thought he would get those $650-700 figures with us easy. That’s why I don’t believe those figures are correct. We’ve seen 650 to 800 talked about in the media. I think there’s be plenty of teams interested at those $650k figures. There’s a suggestion that the Essendon offer is very frontloaded though so that could be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back