Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Except Bruce is an absolute Lemon with a capital L.

Nah, he started off very slowly, but got better as the season went on.

Think Bruce has finally settled in and will have a much better sophomore season for the Dogs.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking me to prove but here; This is a bulldogs poster on your board........ whilst it isn't specifically in this thread, it clearly shows the absolute tripe that is being discussed on big footy.

View attachment 997713

Merrett + a First rounder for Dunkley.

L o ******* L

You wouldn't even get Merrett for Dunkley in a direct swap, even if Dunkley had 6 years left on his contract.
Essendon would be pretty flipping stupid not to take Merrett for Dunkley direct swap IMO. Would help balance your team immensely.

I doubt the dogs accept that though noting both their contract situations. Seems Merrett is happy to stay one more before testing FA next year. He probably gets himself a better contract that way.

Regarding trade proposals, you have to understand that most Dogs fans want to keep Dunks so realistically the only proposals they are going to entertain are those that you will find outlandish. If he were out of contract or had requested a trade, it's a lot different.

Except Bruce is an absolute Lemon with a capital L.
He only needs to spend one more year providing a target while JUH develops.
Ideally, we go in with English and another ruck while Naughton plays back.

Given we would want a senior player either directly or indirectly as part of the Dunkley trade and Essendon already are hunting Caldwell, plus there are restrictions on trading due to the first-round rules, I don't know how a deal gets done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniher comp being pick 7 could be the domino that enables this (if true)
Gets 1x first rd pick active from either this year or next.
A 2021 first rounder is far more useful to us than a 2020 first rounder.

We certainly don't want to be getting younger though and the only player we've really been linked to this trading period is Hannan, although Sam Power usually keeps his cards pretty close to his chest.

A 2021 first rounder is far more useful to us than a 2020 first rounder.

We certainly don't want to be getting younger though and the only player we've really been linked to this trading period is Hannan, although Sam Power usually keeps his cards pretty close to his chest.
yeah, thinking 2021 1st would be on the table (and we can do that with those picks in)
Or the Dogs look at a 2020 pick as the currency required for whichever targets you have.

Given we would want a senior player either directly or indirectly as part of the Dunkley trade and Essendon already are hunting Caldwell, plus there are restrictions on trading due to the first-round rules, I don't know how a deal gets done.

Well given Dodoro is about to be promoted to GM of Football, I'm sure he'll have even more power to orchestrate a beneficial trade.

I'm thinking;

In: Dunkley
Out: Bellchambers

Much better form in the social pages than Dunkley.

yeah, thinking 2021 1st would be on the table (and we can do that with those picks in)
Or the Dogs look at a 2020 pick as the currency required for whichever targets you have.
We are already looking at a points trade for our (currently) pick 12 for our NGA/FS kids this year (the first will cost plenty, the other two should be cheap).

There's still a lot to play out. We haven't even announced delistings yet, and likely won't until the AFL sort themselves out and determine list sizes for 2021.

Essendon would be pretty f*n stupid not to take Merrett for Dunkley direct swap IMO. Would help balance your team immensely.

I doubt the dogs accept that though noting both their contract situations. Seems Merrett is happy to stay one more before testing FA next year. He probably gets himself a better contract that way.

Regarding trade proposals, you have to understand that most Dogs fans want to keep Dunks so realistically the only proposals they are going to entertain are those that you will find outlandish. If he were out of contract or had requested a trade, it's a lot different.

Why would Essendon give up a proven AA player for a kid whos 18 months younger who has zero runs on the board, he has had half a good season (2019). Apart from that all he's being rated on is his "potential"

Merrett is better than Dunkley in almost ALL key stats.

Unless Merrett confirmed he wanted to go, there is no way on gods earth that trade makes sense for us.

I have no issues with Dogs fans wanting to keep Dunkley, I get it, he is good player and they do indeed deserve overs. But to suggest he is worth the same as Merrett is pretty embarrassing and to even go to lengths to suggest its Merrett + a first rounder is ****ing ludicrous.

Last edited:
Why would Essendon give up a proven AA player for a kid whos 18 months younger who has zero runs on the board, he has had half a good season (2019). Apart from that all he's being rated on is his "potential"

Merrett is better than Dunkley in almost ALL key stats.

Unless Merrett confirmed he wanted to go, there is no way on gods earth that trade makes sense for us.

I have no issues with Dogs fans wanting to keep Dunkley, I get it, he is good player. But to suggest he is worth the same as Merrett is pretty embarrassing.

Ess want Dunkley. They need to make it happen.

Can't say I'm excited about Merrett and would prefer Dunkley who has plenty of runs on the board. Was AA squad recently and is only getting better.

Speculation is that given Ess don't really have any players the dogs want, it may be a deal involving picks that allow the Dogs to get the No 1/2 pick from Adelaide.

Not excited about that either but if that is what the Dogs want, all they really have to say is 'Adrian we want pick 1, go get it.' If it doesn't happen, Dunkley stays a dog and then the dance is done again next year if Dunkley still wants to go.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking me to prove but here; This is a bulldogs poster on your board........ whilst it isn't specifically in this thread, it clearly shows the absolute tripe that is being discussed on big footy.

View attachment 997713

Merrett + a First rounder for Dunkley.

L o ******* L

You wouldn't even get Merrett for Dunkley in a direct swap, even if Dunkley had 6 years left on his contract.

Your three posts that are quoted all say "in here". Most logical people would assume "in here" is within this thread. If they're in another thread (and ESPECIALLY on our board) then you don't have to worry about it.

No one "in here" (what is essentially the BF general Josh Dunkley hypothetical trade thread) has asked for anything stupid so far. But because a Bulldogs poster posted something in another thread on the Bulldogs main board you're taking offence? There's no need for that whatsoever. It just confuses the issue "in here", causing arguments that don't even need to exist.

Your three posts that are quoted all say "in here". Most logical people would assume "in here" is within this thread. If they're in another thread (and ESPECIALLY on our board) then you don't have to worry about it.

No one "in here" (what is essentially the BF general Josh Dunkley hypothetical trade thread) has asked for anything stupid so far. But because a Bulldogs poster posted something in another thread on the Bulldogs main board you're taking offence? There's no need for that whatsoever. It just confuses the issue "in here", causing arguments that don't even need to exist.

fwiw I think I did see a doggies supporter say merret first a week ago in here and I haven’t visited the doggies board. Not that it matters.

We have heaps of crazy supporters haha. I’m sure some think Dunkley is only worth a third rounder.

No entire supporter base is reasonable or unreasonable. It’s a group of people you’ll always have a few nuts. Even more nuts if there is a “group think”.

Visit the Saad thread. People still saying psd is the only way to go despite Essendon (and others) having a pick before them.

Or see Daniher thread last year. A lot of dons supporters wouldn’t have taken 5 & 9. It happens. Don’t bother defending everyone.

Hrmm so the logic here is that from to get a player you need to give up a better player. .....🤔

So doggies want pick 37 from us. They have to give up up 12 to get it.

Makes sense yeah?

He’s contracted. I think the point is - you need to go above and beyond to get him out. Just ask Dodo- he did ask for Walsh for Saad to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back