Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

I assume your CBAs are Centre Bounce attendances, but Dunkley was the ruckman for plenty of his average attendances.

Not getting involved in the player comparison, but you can't really on stats because they are clearly misleading.

I don't remember Dunkley rucking in a centre bounce at all. He did a few stoppages and a few boundary throw ins, but no centre bounces from what I can remember.

The whole Dunkley in the ruck thing has been way overblown. He contested a few stoppages, yes, but not that many in reality, and only over the course of a few games. The biggest issue is the amount of time he spent playing forward, particularly in the final vs. St. Kilda.

they're suggesting it because they fear losing him as a RFA in 12 months anyway, be under no illusion about motive that's why they keep bringing him up in this thread

Probably sensible thinking from them.
Still think the Dogs will hold onto Dunkley for at least one more year. No way will Dodo find a way to well throw The Dogs a bone and find a package to satisfy you guys.

A straight swap with Merret would be fair imo

Thing is the trade doesn't have to be fair, the Dogs don't want a fair trade. You're trying rip a 23 yr old who is in our leadership group with 2 years left on his contract. The player isn't disgruntled either so we really don't have to let him go.

It isn't about how many runs on the board Dunkley has or anything like that, it's about how much overs Essendon will be willing to pay to get it done.

Thing is the trade doesn't have to be fair, the Dogs don't want a fair trade. You're trying rip a 23 yr old who is in our leadership group with 2 years left on his contract. The player isn't disgruntled either so we really don't have to let him go.

It isn't about how many runs on the board Dunkley has or anything like that, it's about how much overs Essendon will be willing to pay to get it done.

And yet Dodoro is going to find a way to get Dogs to agree to a trade that is unders for them.

It shall be his finest hour!

Godfather offer to get him out the dogs i reckon.

I don't remember Dunkley rucking in a centre bounce at all. He did a few stoppages and a few boundary throw ins, but no centre bounces from what I can remember.

The whole Dunkley in the ruck thing has been way overblown. He contested a few stoppages, yes, but not that many in reality, and only over the course of a few games. The biggest issue is the amount of time he spent playing forward, particularly in the final vs. St. Kilda.
He clearly did ruck in Centre bounces, the Melbourne game saw him do significant amounts of Centre bounce work as the ruckman and he also did in other games.

Oh okay then, if you say so. Apologies.

Let's assume you're right* though and he has stagnated, the rest of the league has improved around him so his standing has declined in any case.

(*I don't think you are, he's been less damaging than in his AA year by a fair bit IMO)

In what way has he declined or is "less damaging"?

1603959598247.png
1603959645996.png
1603959690657.png
2020 was clearly one of his better seasons, when you account for playing as more of a pure winger than he has in the past.

Everyone saying how shit dunkley is we might as well keep him, comparing dunkley and merrett is a joke really 2 totally different players and I haven't seen one dogs fan that would trade dunkley for merrett but there was a few bombers fans who would very interesting

Everyone saying how sh*t dunkley is we might as well keep him, comparing dunkley and merrett is a joke really 2 totally different players and I haven't seen one dogs fan that would trade dunkley for merrett but there was a few bombers fans who would very interesting
No, we're saying Merrett is objectively better than him. There's a difference

WTF?

Everyone currently at Essendon: “anywhere but here”, “run for your lives”, “abandon ship”, “every man for himself”, “we’re doomed”.

Dunkley: “oh, that place looks nice, trade me there”.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some players who I can imagine going to the Dons:
- players who GCS decide aren’t worth a lifeline
-
-
- yeah, that’s about it.

But why Dunkley? He’s actually good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett is objectively older, has played more midfield than him and gets lots of bruise free outside ball. As for having any impact on games, that's a whole different debate
Merrett is objectively better. If you're implying Merrett is soft that's just plain stupid. He's not the greatest defensive runner but 35% of his disposals over his career have been contested, and apart from his first year, where he mostly played as a small forward, he has averaged 4 clearances a game. He's also a far better kick, and easily has more impact in comparison to Dunkley.

This isn't a contest. Merrett is better.

Merrett is objectively better. If you're implying Merrett is soft that's just plain stupid. He's not the greatest defensive runner but 35% of his disposals over his career have been contested, and apart from his first year, where he mostly played as a small forward, he has averaged 4 clearances a game. He's also a far better kick, and easily has more impact in comparison to Dunkley.

This isn't a contest. Merrett is better.

Disagree, he averages about 40-50th in the league for contested ball most years. Lower this year. You've got him for another 12 months max before he walks so I see why you Bombers supporters are happy to try and use him in a deal. Problem is if anyone wants Merrett they just need to wait a year and take him

Disagree, he averages about 40-50th in the league for contested ball most years. Lower this year. You've got him for another 12 months max before he walks so I see why you Bombers supporters are happy to try and use him in a deal. Problem is if anyone wants Merrett they just need to wait a year and take him
I'd rather keep him. Why would you play someone like Merrett exclusively on the inside when he does so much damage on the outside as well?

WTF?

Everyone currently at Essendon: “anywhere but here”, “run for your lives”, “abandon ship”, “every man for himself”, “we’re doomed”.

Dunkley: “oh, that place looks nice, trade me there”.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some players who I can imagine going to the Dons:
- players who GCS decide aren’t worth a lifeline
-
-
- yeah, that’s about it.

But why Dunkley? He’s actually good.
Whether it gets done or doesnt, its master stroke from Dodo.

Not one person had thought of it and not one person had thought of the way hed get it done. The fact hes got Dunkley telling people at WBD hed prefer to be in the red and black is some of Dodos finest work. He is the least of the problems at the club.

Whether it gets done or doesnt, its master stroke from Dodo.

Not one person had thought of it and not one person had thought of the way hed get it done. The fact hes got Dunkley telling people at WBD hed prefer to be in the red and black is some of Dodos finest work. He is the least of the problems at the club.
BS. Essendon have leaked that Dunkley has done that. The dogs say differently

Well, maybe not everyone. Everyone who’s got a chance of getting a place on a list somewhere else, is trying to get out of Essendon ASAP. Saad, Fanta, Joe (twice), those kind of players.

Players who know is last-chance-saloon or nowhere, people like Stringer, they’re staying of course.

So Ridley and McGrath would not make it onto another list?

Dunkley vs Merrett because others have taken it there, as inside mids*

* Definition: Must have attended over 70% CBAs in given game

Dunkley (Avgs): 20.67 disp, 2.3 marks, 5.33 tackles. 0.67 goals

Zac Merrett (Avgs): 27 disp, 4.67 marks, 5.5 tackles, 0 goals

Apples to Apples. Hang onto the goals because hes got nothing else.

BS. Essendon have leaked that Dunkley has done that. The dogs say differently
Can you just think it through for a second. We are trying to get Dunkley so why would we leak information about what he is saying to the Bulldogs and risk the whole deal from happening because we are leaking private conversations about a player we are trying to recruit?

Dunkley vs Merrett because others have taken it there, as inside mids*

* Definition: Must have attended over 70% CBAs in given game

Dunkley (Avgs): 20.67 disp, 2.3 marks, 5.33 tackles. 0.67 goals

Zac Merrett (Avgs): 27 disp, 4.67 marks, 5.5 tackles, 0 goals

Apples to Apples. Hang onto the goals because hes got nothing else.
Unless he joins your mob then he's a superstar right

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back