Josh Gibson- Very overated

Remove this Banner Ad

He is out of contract, he has every right to want to look for a better pay if his market value is higher than what he is getting. He has every right to want to change clubs if he feels he is getting stale at his existing club or because of their depth of talent his role in his preferred position wont be there in the future.

What I don't like is that he chose to do this through his manager while overseas and not front the club with any grievances and make even a token attempt at resolving them before threatening to leave, demanding a trade to a particular club or making it public.

As to not being a good player, he got 4 brownlow votes, same amount as Maxwell and Presti combined. :p

I much prefer him over your over-rated front runners like Dale Thomas, Leon Davis, Alan Didak etc etc etc

finals pretenders of the worst kind :eek:

What a surprise!!! the Dorks supports first to over reacted..... thought this post was about Gibson not Collingwood players... you fluked a premiership good luck to you all, now it's time to go back in you box and watch from a far
And for the record Gibson is ok at best and probably a round 3 pick, so Dorks don't be hurt please.... I know what you want to hear is that he is great will solve all your problems blah blah blah - afraid not:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The fact of the matter is that Gibson is a good player, and if we had him on our list 4 years ago, he'd be the star defender. The problem is that given we've established that Hansen is a defender and not a forward, and guys like Scott Thompson and Nathan Grima have shown they're very good defenders, a guy like Josh has more limited opportunities. He'd still have a place in our best 22 of that I have no doubt, but we have a fundamentally poor midfield and forward line, and if we can draft a player into either of those positions, it makes much more sense as a guy like McMahon can more than adequately (I personally would argue better) fill the job done by Gibson.

He is out of contract, he has every right to want to look for a better pay if his market value is higher than what he is getting. He has every right to want to change clubs if he feels he is getting stale at his existing club or because of their depth of talent his role in his preferred position wont be there in the future.

What I don't like is that he chose to do this through his manager while overseas and not front the club with any grievances and make even a token attempt at resolving them before threatening to leave, demanding a trade to a particular club or making it public.

As to not being a good player, he got 4 brownlow votes, same amount as Maxwell and Presti combined. :p

:thumbsu:

As Zvim says, its not the leaving, but the way he is going about it.

The way he and his manager have handled the situation, just shows a lack of class.

Hey Zvim - Enright got Zero BL votes what does this mean?????????????:confused:

Do you really know that he hasn't addressed his concerns with the club?

Perhaps North could have re-signed him or extended his contract in previous years so the issue of him being out of contract wouldn't arise.

Perhaps the club see the future in Hansen, Thompson and Grima and hence are unwilling to offer him a reasonable contract or opportunities?

Who knows? Certainly not us.

Hey Zvim - Enright got Zero BL votes what does this mean?????????????:confused:

That he is a long way behind Ablett, Bartell, Selwood, Chapman, etc. in terms of his impact on the game.

It is not like Collingwood has the same caliber of player at the top end, shit, even Travis Cloke pulled some votes.

When you factor North was a bottom 4 club AND defenders get **** all recognition at the best of times, for him to score the same votes as your two best defenders is a significant feat. He had fantastic games earlier in the year where he didn't get votes just because we lost those games marginally, they give most of the votes to the team that wins, typically, unless you are Goodes. :p

Perhaps the club see the future in Hansen, Thompson and Grima and hence are unwilling to offer him a reasonable contract or opportunities?

This would be the issue. I am not sure if the club would be so blatant about his future, but Gibbo would have seen the writing on the wall given the way this season has played out. North supporters have been discussing how all four can fit into the backline since about round 11.

Doesn't mean he is not a good player, we just discovered two younger, taller options in Grima and Thompson and our number 3 pick from the 2006 draft showed awesome form at CHB at the start of the year.

Gibson isn't a dog for trying to pre-long his career by going to a club that has no backline. A club where he would be the best defender as of round 1 2010, rather than staying at a club where he has already lost his spot in the back 6.

As I have said before, to most clubs he is owrth anything below pick 30 (and that will be great value if they have any holes in defence - he can play on just about every type of forward).

To Hawthorn, given their defence and the fact they have agreat midfield and forward line (and therefore a premiership window) we should push for more.

I would hate to be the one team in the pat 10 years to win everythin and not make the 8. Really consistant.
The last time Collingwood won a flag - way before your time, about 20 years ago - they also failed to make the finals the following season. To say Denis Banks and Mick McGuane had a premiership hangover would be an understatement. More like alcohol poisoning.

I love the fact hawthorn supporters are already defending this bloke, he is scum, and would suit ur mob, i would hate to be the one team in the pat 10 years to win everythin and not make the 8. Really consistant.
And u say our list is overated- apart from Hodge and sewell, u list is full of down hill skiers, and add 2 more in Burgoyne and Gibson.
Ur a very silly club if u are willing to trade a 1st or 2nd pick to north for gibson

Dear Dale,

Please do yourself a favour. Tell Mum and the bloke you refer to as Dad that you want to go back to school and that you are a bit bored of hanging outside, sitting on the front fence next to the green wheelie bin and smoking with your other drop-out mates.

Oh and grab that copy of Lord of the Flies, Tom Sawyer or The Great Gatsby and if you can, work your way through it before Monday.

Fondest regards,

CLA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have to agree. Gibson has been very overrated just recently. I find it hilarious that a lot of people on the North board think he is worth pick 9.

He can occasionally beat a top forward if he gets plenty of help from the other defenders rolling off their opponents and good pressure from the midfield. If he is isolated 1 on 1 he is generally no show.

He has played a lot of good games this year but also has at least 4 worst-on-grounds by my count.

Yep, Buddy Franklin, Roughead, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli all massively overrated. :eek: Must be some good stuff you're smoking.

Well yeah, they all are except probably Mitchell.

Hodge didn't get a kick all year when he actually had a man on him, Gus Monfries destroyed him. Kidding yourself if you don't think he is overrated.

Probably the biggest surprise from a Saints supporters perspective is that they got rid of Zac Dawson at the end of last season and now they have lured Josh Gibson on an $800,000 3 year deal. I'm not saying Zac is a star by any means but they've let go a player who has gone on to hold a key position in the best defensive team for the season and gone after a player on a reasonably lucrative contract that according to Kangaroos supporters isn't a big loss.

Gibson is a solid defender... nothing more, nothing less

saying that, he is worth pick 25 and possibly a fringe player, as he has proven he can beat the big forwards on numerous occasions

its a shame he wants out, i thought he would be a roo4life... oh well, business is business

good luck to him

Probably the biggest surprise from a Saints supporters perspective is that they got rid of Zac Dawson at the end of last season and now they have lured Josh Gibson on an $800,000 3 year deal. I'm not saying Zac is a star by any means but they've let go a player who has gone on to hold a key position in the best defensive team for the season and gone after a player on a reasonably lucrative contract that according to Kangaroos supporters isn't a big loss.
If Zac played for us this year it would be much of the same.

You averaged bugger all i50 against this year and the majority of the time he had help when he was 1 on 1.

I'm glad he has done well at the saints but if he had to be the number 1 defender with a bunch of kids surrounding him he would look very similar to Thomas Murphy did this year.

Well yeah, they all are except probably Mitchell.

Hodge didn't get a kick all year when he actually had a man on him, Gus Monfries destroyed him. Kidding yourself if you don't think he is overrated.

LOL every one of those players would walk into your side so you cant really talk.

Gibson is way overated , saying he is a VFL player is ridiculous though. Hes a decent player but not sure what all the hype is about.

dawsons over rated aswell but look at him in a really strong team, his weaknesses dont get exploited as much as they would in a worse off team. same will happen with gibson now

It's hilarious that any Collingwood fan, much less one who calls himself "Dale the kid Thomas" would start a thread about overrated footballers.

Leon Davis Board

Travis Cloke Board

Alan Didak Board

Paul Medhurst Board

Nick Maxwell Board

Simon Prestigiacomo Board

Scott Pendlebury Board

Dane Swan Board

Josh Fraser Board

Anthony Rocca Board

Peter Daicos Board

I'm getting RSI!!

Sav Rocca Board

Mick McGuane Board

Craig Starcevich Board

Ricky Barham Board

Johnny Greening Board

Des Tuddenham Board

Murray Weideman Board

Des Fothergill Board

Thorold Merrett Board

Syd Coventry Board

How about the Peter Crimmins Board?

dawsons over rated aswell but look at him in a really strong team, his weaknesses dont get exploited as much as they would in a worse off team. same will happen with gibson now
Since when has Gibson been in a really strong team?

While I don't think he is the best player going around, he has been able to do a serviceable job in an ok/below par team over the years.

His worse games this year were when he was run through the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Gibson- Very overated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back