Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing Rachele has copped plenty of criticism by some posters when he has had a reasonable year, even if had some quieter games which you expect for a younger player.

Meanwhile our 100+ game small forward continues to post far, far poorer numbers every week, yet Nix offers more positive comments about Murphy than Rachele.

Says everything really, when he justifies mediocrity.

Josh... hopefully this game becomes more your norm.
It's pretty obvious why.
Murphy is a C-grader, playing the same game every week, trying hard and achieving what he can. What is the point of criticising his game for improvement. We just have to wait for him to be dropped.

On the other hand, Rachelle is a young A-grader who has been under-achieving and showing a too-high percentage of poor efforts, apart from this week. Don't you think we get frustrated when seeing this from someone with a much higher ceiling?
Should he be immune from criticism? We are all very pleased that he has responded and improved.

Absolutely nothing amazing at all.

It's pretty obvious why.
Murphy is a C-grader, playing the same game every week, trying hard and achieving what he can. What is the point of criticising his game for improvement. We just have to wait for him to be dropped.

On the other hand, Rachelle is a young A-grader who has been under-achieving and showing a too-high percentage of poor efforts, apart from this week. Don't you think we get frustrated when seeing this from someone with a much higher ceiling?
Should he be immune from criticism? We are all very pleased that he has responded and improved.

Absolutely nothing amazing at all.
So you believe in holding players to different standards based on their potential?

Moreso, players of higher potential deserve a higher level of criticism as you have a higher expectation?

That was because the ball went too high it has nothing to do with being soft
It was a similar to the situation when Rachele went one hand back in flight to try and mark the ball in front of Walker this year, the kick wasn't to him and others posters also gave him shit with that contest calling him soft. His follow up when the ball hit the ground was strong and lead to a goal.

Amazing Rachele has copped plenty of criticism by some posters when he has had a reasonable year, even if had some quieter games which you expect for a younger player.

Meanwhile our 100+ game small forward continues to post far, far poorer numbers every week, yet Nix offers more positive comments about Murphy than Rachele.

Says everything really, when he justifies mediocrity.

Josh... hopefully this game becomes more your norm.
I can't speak for others, but the issue for me isn't 'quiet games' - that's absolutely going to happen. It's the effort and intensity that he plays at.

Honestly my expectations on guys like Murph are so low I barely even care - I just don't want him in the team. But we've spent big on Josh Rachelle and made a significant commitment, because the kid can play. He can be a difference maker when he combines the effort required with his natural talent. Exactly what we saw on the weekend - I agree with Nicks that he pretty much was the difference for a large part of that game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't speak for others, but the issue for me isn't 'quiet games' - that's absolutely going to happen. It's the effort and intensity that he plays at.

Honestly my expectations on guys like Murph are so low I barely even care - I just don't want him in the team. But we've spent big on Josh Rachelle and made a significant commitment, because the kid can play. He can be a difference maker when he combines the effort required with his natural talent. Exactly what we saw on the weekend - I agree with Nicks that he pretty much was the difference for a large part of that game.
Rachele's effort doesn't go missing for an entire game and his pressure stats show this, there is clearly one of two efforts which posters see and latch on with bias.

Rachele's effort doesn't go missing for an entire game and his pressure stats show this, there is clearly one of two efforts which posters see and latch on with bias.

Its the famous "eye test".

Kid is tracking better than Rankine / Bolton were at the same stage.

So true. The world is full of very smart people.

The "eye test" is the one remaining beacon of truth.

We should delist Rachele - because so many have said he doesn't pass the eye test and is soft.

Must be true because budget saw it with its own eyes that Rash gets pinged caught with the ball multiple times a game, only to disappear when pure stats were shown proving otherwise.

Funny that it has disappeared after last weekend too

Its the famous "eye test".

Kid is tracking better than Rankine / Bolton were at the same stage.

This is very similar to the people that had Fog being mg delisted, not an AFL standard player etc

He is young. He needs to learn about how to be consistent. 27 goals this year as a small forward with 3 games to go - so perhaps a 32 goal season. It’s pretty good. And will only get better
If we didn’t have Rankine I would predict this kid to be our best player in 2026

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is very similar to the people that had Fog being mg delisted, not an AFL standard player etc
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

It's not just a couple of times a game. It's been the defining feature of his game for most of this year.

He played at another level on the weekend, over the whole game. Surely you noticed that?

Overall I feel he has had an underwhelming year and that’s before checking stats. Ave disposals, shots on goal and tackles all slightly down. Had many games where he has done bugger all. Much better accuracy has meant goal tally looks pretty decent and has shown his natural ability in some games inc his best on the weekend just gone.

Overall not in the top 10 B&F and a disappointing lack of progression in his third year

Still think he can be elite, or very close to as per the game on Saturday.

got 5 coaches votes for his game Saturday

10 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
5 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
4 Riley Thilthorpe (ADEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
2 Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 Shaun Mannagh (GEEL)

weird set of votes - can't disagree with Cameron with 10
but Dangerfield with 3??

10 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
5 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 Shaun Mannagh (GEEL)

but Dangerfield with 3??
You can make a case for all of them, but after Cameron none of them are obvious

10 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
5 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Tyson Stengle (GEEL)
2 Shaun Mannagh (GEEL)

but Dangerfield with 3??
Nicks
5. Cameron
4. Thilthorpe
3. Rachele
2. Mannagh
1. Stengle

Scott
5. Cameron
4. Stewart
3. Dangerfield
2. Rachele
1. Stengle

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back